Who Are These People?

MissieMt

Reaction score
Okay, I told myself I wasn't going to cry today, the second anniversary of Katrina. Then I made the mistake of going to our local newspaper online. There-I found a beautiful article about a beautiful place full of beautiful people! A place I'm fortunate enough to still call home, the people I'm poud to call my neighbors.
http://www.sunherald.com/278/story/130114.html

Missie, I tried to tell myself the same thing..same as last year on the 1 year anniversary. We here in central Miss. still pray for you guys down there, I am so proud to call "ya'll" my neighbors, the pain of all the loss even up here is still too fresh to not hurt badly.

Hugs to you MsPooh!! I drove north all the way to Jackson 4 days after the storm (it was the only way I could get to Texas) and was shocked at how far north the destruction was.
I knew I would be a mess last year, but this one kinda creeped up on me.

thank you missie, that was a beautiful article. i live in northern tangipahoa parish, la. we got it bad here, as well.

life goes on, we stumble and sometimes fall, but we all have bootstraps. we pull em up and go on.

You are SO right Mira!! We had every plan to move back to Texas after my husband was done with the Air Force here. Katrina showed us what the people around here were really made of- and now I don't think we will ever leave.

You are SO right Mira!! We had every plan to move back to Texas after my husband was done with the Air Force here. Katrina showed us what the people around here were really made of- and now I don't think we will ever leave.

I love the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Heck, I love the entire state. There is nothing like riding the backroads and finding the Mississippi people don't normally stop to check out.

I love the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Heck, I love the entire state. There is nothing like riding the backroads and finding the Mississippi people don't normally stop to check out.

I have a very funny story about that..I live 8 miles from civilization either way you go from my house, we just moved out here in April. I am slowly starting to meet the neighbors and had met a couple in the first few weeks of living here. They were elderly and very sweet..live just down the road. Fast forward to last weekend..I am outside mowing and a car stops in front of the house, it is an elderly couple that closely resemble my neighbors and they are talking to me. I go over there and they say
"Hey how are ya'll doing"
"You ever have anybody just stop out here and ask you for directions"? he and his wife were both smiling.
I say "no but I see alot of people driving around like they are lost" and he says "can you tell me how to get out to the interstate from here"?
:waitasec: o.k. I am not blonde or anything I kind of got worried about their mental health (because they have lived out here since before MY parents were born) until My sweet elderly neighbor came riding up on his little riding lawn mower..:eek: ...so he got to talking to them and directed them how to get somewhere closer to the interstate. And then proceeds to tell me that we happen to live where alot of people tend to get lost while traveling the Mississippi back roads..I so wanted the earth just to open up and swallow me.

lol-that's hilarious!!
We're kinda in the country now, but just a little north of 10. Our area didn't get too much damage-so everything is moving up this way. It is weird being on county land verses city, sometimes i like it (fireworks ANYTIME) and sometimes I dont (our neighbors let their kids run around on quads all the time-shirtless, shoeless, and definitely no helmets)

Awesome story! I think we will always until the day we die struggle on 8-29. I have thought about it all day. I have thought about what we have lost, but I think of all we have and it keeps me up. I was in Waveland, MS a few months back with another person and they commented that it still looks like a dump down there but to me I see progress and renewal!
Of course they were not a Mississippian, that explains it.

yeah, I think we have done a great job at rebuilding! Some places are still kind of baren, but it won't be like that forever.

yeah, I think we have done a great job at rebuilding! Some places are still kind of baren, but it won't be like that forever.
I know, all we have to do is think back to how it looked in Sept and Oct. .of 05 and you defineitly see the progress.

MsPooh, that is sooo funny! We always carry an Atlas just in case. We have found lots of good food by just pulling over and asking someone.

MissieMt, are you sure you aren't my neighbor? We have the same people here. I do make mine wear helmets and shirts though.

"It is weird being on county land verses city, sometimes i like it (fireworks ANYTIME) and sometimes I dont (our neighbors let their kids run around on quads all the time-shirtless, shoeless, and definitely no helmets)"

2sisters & all my Mississippi friends,

I think about y'all often. I was in Biloxi months after Katrina and balled my eyes out. My heart aches for you and your great, beautiful state. I will never forget the destruction.

I was talking to a gentleman down there and on the verge of tears, yet again, when he explained it to me this way. He said that the coast had gotten dirty and the man upstairs decided it needed a cleaning. That made me stop and think a while. The coast is experiencing a rebirth. A cleanup. A renewal. I hope this is true for the spirit of Mississippians. I hope you have a renewed outlook and that things are much happier, brighter and you live in joy.

Tenessee, your friend was right on the mark about our cleansing. It was very much needed~and it is much better here already!
It makes me so nervous to watch those kids play on their quads! One asked if my son could ride with him, and I was like-uh,no!! I didn't want to be rude, but we are much more protective then their parents are. Funny thing is-my son didn't make a fuss about it at all!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back