MS MS - Hattiesburg, WhtMale 22-28, UP4746, hit by car, 'Steve Hex (Hicks)', red hair/freckles, Dec'98

Yes, this is so sad. Someone has to have known him. I'm sure they publicized his case in West Virginia.

kylie said:
Yes, this is so sad. Someone has to have known him. I'm sure they publicized his case in West Virginia.

I agree, it is sad.

Indeed, he has parents and maybe some siblings.

No, not necesarily. It's is quite uncommon for adult cases to get any exposure at all, unless the media latches on to them.

Our system is ok, but needs some serious tweaking. Individual states do not commit enough monies to the budget for the missing and unidentified, and there is usually not a staff of persons to try and locate a family member.

I have a dear friend whose grandfather was missing for FORTY long years. When she found him, it was discovered he'd been deceased for 37 of those years. He was found with identification, and his family was never notified, even though they were listed. Sad, but true. She posts here, maybe she will comment about this.

With HOPE for Steve, that his family can be notified of his passing.
They may be looking for him, and don't know where to start.
Most agencies do not give proper referrals for such a case. *sigh*
In Christ, Lanie

I live in the area( about an hour away) and have never even heard about this case before. Hitchhikers are quite common in this area and he isn't the first around here to be hit by a car and sadly probably won't be the last. I would think that an attempt would have been made to contact the family but I guess not.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/649umms.html
649UMMS2.jpg
649UMMS.jpg
649UMMS1.jpg

Photo of inidentified man on left, sketches on right.

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered alive on December 1, 1998 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi
* Estimated Date of Death: May 1, 2002
* Cause of Death: Complications from a hit and run accident.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 22-28 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 170 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Red hair with red beard and mustache; hazel eyes. Had freckles. He had no tattoos , scars or identifying marks on his body.
* Dentals: Available
* Fingerprints: Available
* DNA: Available
* Other: Blood type B-

Case History
The victim was struck by a drunk driver while hitchhiking on I-59 just north of Hwy 49 on the ramp to I-59 northbound in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on December 1, 1998.
The driver left the scene and was later apprehended.
Victim told responding paramedics that he was Steve Hex (Hicks) and that he was from West Virginia, prior to losing consciousness. He later passed away in May of 2002 from complications that were the result of the hit and run accident.

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/thayn_ryan.html

649UMMS2.jpg
thayn_ryan1.jpg
thayn_ryan2.jpg
649UMMS.jpg

Accident victim on left & right - Ryan Roy Thayn center

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

# Missing Since: November 4, 1998 from Emery County, Utah
# Classification: Endangered Missing
# Date Of Birth: August 11, 1973
# Age: 25 years old
# Height: 6'2"
# Weight: 230 lbs.
# Hair Color: Red
# Eye Color: Green
# Race: White
# Gender: Male
# Distinguishing Characteristics: Thayn has a gray-colored
birthmark behind his right ear.
# Clothing: Jeans,a flannel shirt, a camouflage cap
and white gym shoes.
# NCIC Number: M-167909174

Details of Disappearance
Thayn was last seen in the mounds area of Emery County, Utah on November 4, 1998. He was employed by Seeley Oil at the time and did not return from the oil well site he worked during the day. His locked pickup truck was abandoned at the scene and Thayn's keys were missing. Thayn's coat, knives and firearms were located inside the vehicle, along with a wallet that belonged to another individual. When questioned by authorities, the man claimed he lost the wallet while hunting in the region. There was no sign of foul play at the scene, but authorities have stated Thayn vanished under suspicious circumstances.Thayn was a resident of Wellington, Utah in 1998.

1. I find the photo of Ryan matches the photo of John Doe. The sketch matches in general, but not nose or chin on the sketch - but then, it doesn't match the victims photo either!
2. Ryan disappeared in November 1998 and John Doe was Found in December 1998.
3. Ryan and John Doe both have Red Hair
4. Ryan and John Doe are both listed as being 6'2" tall
5. Ryan is listed as having green eyes, John Doe has hazel eyes - I've seen this discrepancy before and hazel/green is often used to describe the same eye color.
6. Ryan is listed as being 25 years old, John Doe is estimated to be 22-28 yrs old
7. Ryan is listed as 230 lbs on the North American Doe Network, as as 200 lbs on the Utah Missing Persons page, John Doe is listed as 170 lbs - this is a big discrepancy but where did they get Ryan's weight information from?
8. On the North American Doe Network Ryan is listed as having a birth mark behind his right ear. On the Utah page about Ryan it says he has a light birthmark on his stomach. Which is correct???? Neither??? Both??? John Doe had none.
9. Ryan disappeared from Utah, John Doe was found in Mississipi, which are 1765 miles apart. The route though is almost all completely hiway.
John Doe was found hitchhiking. He was headed northbound.
If this was Ryan did it mean he had headed as far south as he wanted/needed to, and was heading north to go back home, or to get to another location?
10. The paramedics said that John Doe gave his name as Steve Hex (Hicks). I have no explanation of this in Ryan's case...

Reference: Utah Missing Person's Page where Ryan is listed
http://bci.utah.gov/MPC/MPCMissing.html

I thought this was worth bringing to the police's attention so I emailed it to Crimestoppers in the area. I could not find an email for the police, so to me this was the next best thing. Hopefully they will pass on the info.

This case is driving me insane. :banghead: I've been searching for months. I found this picture of a Steve Hicks from West Virginia and put his picture by the Steve Hicks that passed away. To me they look pretty similar. The ears, the hair line, the smile. Oh well, just wanted someone elses view.

Thanks,
Debbie

Attachments

• stevehicks.jpg
    stevehicks.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 368
ladyhawk said:
This case is driving me insane. :banghead: I've been searching for months. I found this picture of a Steve Hicks from West Virginia and put his picture by the Steve Hicks that passed away. To me they look pretty similar. The ears, the hair line, the smile. Oh well, just wanted someone elses view.

Thanks,
Debbie

ladyhawk-

I can't view the pic.. it's telling me I don't have access to that page!

I have to figure out how to get the picture up since it didn't work that way.

Debbie

ladyhawk said:
Hope I figured this picture thing out right. It's not very good but. . . http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i41/ladyhawk1953/
I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks they look similar before I go digging more information on this Steve Hicks I found on the internet.

Debbie
Here's a Steven Hicks- I found him listed on the "Recovery" page on the Doe Network:

Steven Mark Hicks
Hicks was last seen hitchhiking to a concert in Ohio from his Coventry Township residence on June 18, 1978. He was apparently picked up by serial murderer Jeffrey L. Dahmer. Hicks's remains were retrieved from the Dahmer family's home in Bath Township, Ohio and identified in 1991.

- I just thought the name the John Doe used was almost similar to the name of this deceased missing person

I just want to state for the record how disgusted I am that West Virginia doesn't mantain a missing persons database. Heck - if NEW JERSEY can manage it, anyone can!! :crazy:

The man apparently had a traumatic brain injury, judging from the photos. It's quite possible that he confabulated, and the name given means nothing at all. Judging from the hospital photo and the sketchs, he had long hair and a beard, which may indicate that he had been living a nomadic lifestyle for a while. He sounds like he was near my own age at the time, and I did not know of any guys who would have such a full beard-it was not the thing at all. That is, if the sketch is accurate. I suspect that the hospital might have trimmed his beard down to be able to treat him.

I do not believe that the John Doe was Thayne-if you look at the Charley Project page for him, you can see that his hairline was quite different than John Doe's - more receding.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back