876 users online (164 members and 712 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Man Erroneously Accused In Olympic Bombing Dies

Former security guard Richard Jewell, who was erroneously linked to the 1996 Olympic bombing, died Wednesday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

Jewell, 44, was found dead in his west Georgia home, GBI spokesman John Bankhead said.

He died of natural causes, said Meriwether County Coroner Johnny Worley.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_241153208.html

Quote Originally Posted by chicoliving View Post
    Former security guard Richard Jewell, who was erroneously linked to the 1996 Olympic bombing, died Wednesday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

Jewell, 44, was found dead in his west Georgia home, GBI spokesman John Bankhead said.

He died of natural causes, said Meriwether County Coroner Johnny Worley.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_241153208.html
    Bless that guy's heart. His life was a living hell for a while.

Back before they discovered Eric Rudolph, the FBI and GBI showed up at my husband's job unannounced and interviewed him for 4 hours about the bombings. Someone had called him in as the potential Olympic Park bomber because he was working the Olympics and looks kind of like Rudolph and he wasn't a US citizen at the time. It was pretty crazy!

When all that happened, he and I had just started dating and I was like "Am I in love with a terrorist?"
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

That's so awful. My heart always went out to this guy, what happened to him after all that was sickening.

Prayers and sympathy to his family.

Richard Jewell - I will always remember him. He was a hero who was treated like sh$$. God rest his soul!

I vaguely remember this. Did they ever catch the person who left the bomb?

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    That's awfully young for natural causes, I bet all that crap he had to deal with after the Olympics really took its toll
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    Yes, that would be Eric Rudolph.

But until SCM mentioned it in her post, I could remember Richard Jewell's name, but not the actual culprit's. Just goes to show you.

a hop, skip & a jump from Texas Motor Speedway
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    Yes, Eric Rudolph was hiding in the mountains of North Carolina when they found him - he admitted to the Olympic bombing along with some abortion clinic bombings if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by indallas2 View Post
    Yes, Eric Rudolph was hiding in the mountains of North Carolina when they found him - he admitted to the Olympic bombing along with some abortion clinic bombings if I remember correctly.
    Took them years to catch him, though, and I think it was that a policeman caught him going through a dumpster behind a restaurant...had watched him for a few nights until he was pretty certain it was him, and then nabbed him.

Poor Richard Jewell. God rest him.

Thanks, Indallas

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

An abortion clinic bombing in Atlanta (Sandy Springs) that disfigured a nurse and the bombing of a gay/lesbian bar (that I used to frequent back in the day) called The Otherside - no one was killed or badly injured in that attack.

I worked for a while on the Olympic Park bombing cases as a paralegal for the attorney representing the people who were wounded/killed.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    Took them years to catch him, though, and I think it was that a policeman caught him going through a dumpster behind a restaurant...had watched him for a few nights until he was pretty certain it was him, and then nabbed him.

Poor Richard Jewell. God rest him.
    Eric Rudolph was found rummaging through a dumpster at a Sav-A-Lot grocery store approximately 50 miles from my home. He was sentenced for the bombing of abortion clinics and Centennial Park. He hid out in these mountains for years.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Jewel. I still remember you as a hero.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Mr. Jewell was a hero indeed.
    Here is a link to statements from Mr. Jewell and his mother.

link

A part of it;
    On the evening of July 27, 1996, at Centennial Olympic Park, I did not set out to be a hero. I set out that night simply to do my job and to do it right. I was then and remain now an individual committed to the principles of law enforcement and the protection of the public. I was trained to spot the unattended packages and to report such packages to the next person in security chain of command. That is what I did on the 27th of July. All I did was my job. The media started calling me a hero. I did not consider myself a hero. The bomb technician who crawled on his belly and got next to the bomb was a hero.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    Mr. Jewell was a hero indeed.
    Here is a link to statements from Mr. Jewell and his mother.

link

A part of it;
    On the evening of July 27, 1996, at Centennial Olympic Park, I did not set out to be a hero. I set out that night simply to do my job and to do it right. I was then and remain now an individual committed to the principles of law enforcement and the protection of the public. I was trained to spot the unattended packages and to report such packages to the next person in security chain of command. That is what I did on the 27th of July. All I did was my job. The media started calling me a hero. I did not consider myself a hero. The bomb technician who crawled on his belly and got next to the bomb was a hero.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    Such a nice guy.

RIP to a true hero!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast