813 users online (75 members and 738 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Colorado School Bans Tag on Playground

Many schools have already banned kickball and dodgeball. Pretty good I guess they will walk outside and just stand around and look at each other. And we wonder why our kids are getting fatter? Couldn't they designate an area where those who want to play certain games could? It is a wonder my generation grew up with all the "dangerous" games we played at recess.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295165,00.html

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Why don't they tell the kids not to run if they don't want to be chased?

Quote Originally Posted by imthemom View Post
    Why don't they tell the kids not to run if they don't want to be chased?
    My daughter's elementary school does. Beyond Kindergarten, they are not allowed to play chase. I think this is a good thing because last year we had several boys ganging up on the girls, and besides it encourages them to think of other games and playground equipment to use. Who is responsible when they fall and hurt themselves???
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    My daughter's elementary school does. Beyond Kindergarten, they are not allowed to play chase. I think this is a good thing because last year we had several boys ganging up on the girls, and besides it encourages them to think of other games and playground equipment to use. Who is responsible when they fall and hurt themselves???
    Most of the schools I am familiar with have very little playground equipment. Slides, swings, and merry-go-rounds were removed years ago because they were afraid someone would get hurt. Some parents I know wanted to build some playground equipment for the children to play on and they were turned down. Only very expensive equipment from certain manufacturers could be used because of liability. So the kids stand around and do nothing most of the time at recess.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Kids can always find ways to hurt themselves! What's next? Wrapping them in little air-bag suits before letting them out of the house??

Sorry, but all of this stuff makes me go

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    Kids can always find ways to hurt themselves! What's next? Wrapping them in little air-bag suits before letting them out of the house??

OMGosh, this cracked me up, air-bag suits!!!

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Wonder how many kids have died playing tag - I think I'll go google that one.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Most of the schools I am familiar with have very little playground equipment. Slides, swings, and merry-go-rounds were removed years ago because they were afraid someone would get hurt. Some parents I know wanted to build some playground equipment for the children to play on and they were turned down. Only very expensive equipment from certain manufacturers could be used because of liability. So the kids stand around and do nothing most of the time at recess.
    Why don't the parents hold a fundraiser for the equipment? We do have slides and swing and structures to climb on.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Nope, tag wasn't even in the top 10 ----- of deaths of children between the ages of 1 - 14...

Guess what was ??? AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENTS.

http://www.azdhs.gov/plan/report/ahs...5/pdf/2c11.pdf

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Nope, tag wasn't even in the top 10 ----- of deaths of children between the ages of 1 - 14...

Guess what was ??? AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENTS.

http://www.azdhs.gov/plan/report/ahs...5/pdf/2c11.pdf
    Well then for God's sake we better ban the carpool line and do away with the school buses!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

When I was in 4th grade, I was running; I guess playing tag and my best friend pushed me hard - my head hit the monkey bars (but back then they were metal); it knocked me out, I fell to the ground but quickly came too.

I felt this crumbling; it was one of my front teeth - it was broken in half, and I have had untold dental bills since then trying to keep the tooth looking nice. Luckily the nerve was not broken or I would have lost the entire tooth.

I have a veneer now and you can't tell, but my mother was totally hacked off that that happened.

Unfortunately some of the kids can get just TOO rough and push too hard. It's mean and sometimes passive-aggressive. I don't know why kickball and other games wouldn't be allowed though.

It's very sad but true that some kids have absolutely no empathy for what might hurt another child, either physically or mentally - there are bullies that act like you're playing tackle football; and they may even laugh when someone is pushed too hard and gets hurt. Or they'll get defensive, "I didn't push her that hard; she just fell?"

Maybe really good playground monitors could keep things under control, but here they expect the teachers to do it; and teachers need to sit down and rest a little, and can't be in control of everything on the playground.

Also there is the liability issue to consider, for the teachers now and the school. Sad, but true.

I hated the game tag. I constantly got hurt on the playground, the scars are still visable on my knees. And I was one of the athletic ones, lol.
    The wounds from field hockey are even worse, I can't believe I played that violent game for four years.

OMG! What?! TAG NOW?! Someone wants to take away TAG?! This is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard of!

Why not just put up a bank of computers for the children to play video games at recess and hope they don't hurt their little thumbs so the next group of activist parents can't take that away, too!!! Then we would have to use taxpayer money to put in special lighting so children can get some artificial sunlight...add to this special air units to prevent any allergens from getting into their lungs...which of course leads us to the padded desks and chairs they must have so as to not bump themselves. We should make sure we have plenty of gastric bypass surgeons onhand in the next 20 years to cut out their stomachs because they cannot function due to obesity and enough heart surgeons to unclog their arteries to insure they can live until they are 30.

Ridiculous!!!

Tag! You're IT!!!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post

It sure does! Seems like kids can't be kids anymore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast