954 users online (195 members and 759 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Families File Suit Over Teen Strip Search

The families of three Canton teenagers are filing a lawsuit claiming their daughters were unlawfully strip-searched at a juvenile detention center.

The alleged incident took place in May at the Multi-County Juvenile Attention Center in Canton.

The girls agreed to community service and a 15 minute, court ordered, walk through of the facility after being faced with trespassing charges.

"They are supposed to show you what it is like to be in a place like this." said the families attorney Brian Zimmerman, "They are not supposed to strip search."

The lawsuit alleges the girls were forced to strip naked and undergo cavity searches. http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/...Y&pageId=3.1.1

CANTON, Ohio -- Three teenage girls ordered to take a cautionary tour at juvenile detention center are suing the counties that oversee the facility, claiming they were subjected to a strip search during the tour.

According to the lawsuit, guards at the Multi-County Juvenile Attention Center in Canton had the girls remove their clothes, squat, lift their breasts and open their mouths as part of the strip searches.

The lawsuit claims the girls, ages 14, 15 and 16, agreed to take a 15-minute walk-through of the facility on May 18 and perform 20 hours of community service to avoid going to court on trespassing charges filed after a fight.

Lawyers for the girls claim the teens were bystanders.

After the searches, the girls were given dirty inmates' uniforms to wear, according to the lawsuit.

The suit, filed Tuesday in Stark County Common Pleas Court, names the six counties that oversee the facility as defendants and seeks at least $25,000 in damages http://www.newsnet5.com/akroncanton/...54/detail.html

If it was my kid, I don't know if I'd sue but I'd sure do some major complaining. These girls were minors, they shouldn't have been subjected to the strip search.