IL - Man gets life in prison for trying to sell 50 gm of cocaine

imthemom

Reaction score
Because of previous drug convictions, Judge Michael Mihm Friday handed down the federal standard of life in prison

http://www.week.com/news/local/9510902.html

To me this is just ridiculous, we fill our prisons up with street level drug dealers who are poor and probably couldn't afford some bigwig attorney and Nicole Ritchie could have killed someone and got 82 minutes or whatever. I am so sick of money talks and walks, this guy is only 28 years old. Why don't they give some child molesters sentences like this!!:banghead: Okay I will stop my little tangent now.

I totally agree! This system is broken beyond all imagination. Rapists and child molesters - he!!, even murderers can get less. We need total reform.

While I think he should be punsihed, I think this is a little harsh. To me it would benefit us more more to punish them with community service and house arrest instead of the hugh sentances you get. A million molesters and wife beaters will walk out or jail before he dies in there.

While I think he should be punsihed, I think this is a little harsh. To me it would benefit us more more to punish them with community service and house arrest instead of the hugh sentances you get. A million molesters and wife beaters will walk out or jail before he dies in there.
Amen! I totally agree.

Although I believe that anyone who harms another should NEVER be let out of prison ... that IMO is not a mitigating factor in this specific case.
He is a dead beat drug addict and is of no value to society so his being in prison does no bother me at all ...
I just wish more judges would pass such sentences on other criminals.

Although I believe that anyone who harms another should NEVER be let out of prison ... that IMO is not a mitigating factor in this specific case.
He is a dead beat drug addict and is of no value to society so his being in prison does no bother me at all ...
I just wish more judges would pass such sentences on other criminals.

True that he is that but he is not a threat to people, those are the ones who need to be locked up. I agree he should be punished but this is harsh, the rest of his life. It basically comes down to him not having money for a fancy lawyer and so he spends the rest of his life in prison. Everyone has a story, I would like to hear his. He probably came from a poor family, possible abuse, now has drug and alcohol issues. These people need rehabilitation not prison.

True that he is that but he is not a threat to people, those are the ones who need to be locked up. I agree he should be punished but this is harsh, the rest of his life. It basically comes down to him not having money for a fancy lawyer and so he spends the rest of his life in prison. Everyone has a story, I would like to hear his. He probably came from a poor family, possible abuse, now has drug and alcohol issues. These people need rehabilitation not prison.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Actually he is a threat to people..he is out there selling drugs that could kill someone..What if one of your kids approached someone llike this wanting to expierment and died..I think you would have a much different attitude about his sentence. We dont know how many he sold drugs to in the past that maybe OD'd on them. Or who in the future might. Adults take their lives in their own hands when it comes to drugs, but think of the innocent kids that just want to expieriment and get ahold of either too much or some bad stuff because of guys like this..Rehabilitation dosent always work for people like this..it would not surprise me if he had gone down that road befor and decided he liked his llife the way it was, or rehab was too hard.

I will go and read the article now.

Agreed, I believe LOTS of cases are numbers games.

Nicole Ritchie could have killed someone....Lindsay Lohan...money to throw around and the ability to buy their freedom. I bet if this guy could have afforded the best rehab and had it completed when his court case had come up, it would have been an entirely different outcome.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Actually he is a threat to people..he is out there selling drugs that could kill someone..What if one of your kids approached someone llike this wanting to expierment and died..I think you would have a much different attitude about his sentence. We dont know how many he sold drugs to in the past that maybe OD'd on them. Or who in the future might. Adults take their lives in their own hands when it comes to drugs, but think of the innocent kids that just want to expieriment and get ahold of either too much or some bad stuff because of guys like this..Rehabilitation dosent always work for people like this..it would not surprise me if he had gone down that road befor and decided he liked his llife the way it was, or rehab was too hard.

I will go and read the articke now.

I cannot deny that I can see where you are coming from. I think that much harsher sentences need to be imposed and COMPLETED for most crimes. However, it does seem crazy that he is now in prison FOR LIFE when other much harder criminals are allowed to walk free after serving a ridiculously short time.
IF this was the beginning of a major reform, it would make a little more sense, but even at that....start with the child molesters and murderers and rapists.
50 grams of coke cannot be worth more than $2500.....I know it shouldn't matter, but it still makes this whole thing even crazier to me.

if this was the first time for this guy i would be screaming rehab. maybe the second time i would say the same thing. when you keep repeating the same crime over and over it reaches a point where they just lock you up and keep you. i also keep in mind that not every dealer is also a addict. rehab means nothing if you are selling but not using.

From the link in the first post on this thread:

Davis' attorney had asked for a maximum of 28 years, saying Davis was no more than a street level dealer and a long time abuser of marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol.
Because of previous drug convictions, Judge Michael Mihm Friday handed down the federal standard of life in prison.

----------

BTW: Most drug dealers can afford the best attornies, including many street dealers. JMO.

As someone who has seen what drugs do to young people and how an addicted lifestyle affects the children that they expose to that, I have no sympathy for any drug dealers and think that parents who lose their children and never get off drugs should also go to prison for life.

Murderers, Rapists, Pedophiles, and Abusers deserve life in prison. Unless he is the head of a Drug Cartel or Gang...I think it is ridiculous for him to get life. Frankly...most rapists, pedos, or abusers don't get more than 6 years anymore! Are we sending the message that 50 grams of coke is worse than crimes against our women and children?! Obviously, our jurors and judges believe this is the case.

What is wrong with society?! The only people who are "winning" in this "war against drugs" are the people getting paid the big bucks to wage it!

It sickens me that a non-violent drug offender gets more time in prison than a drunk driver who killed someone or a child molester or a mother or her boyfriend who murdered her own children.

"There's something wrong with the world today..."

Not taking sides, but how often do we read in the stories about the child abuse stories that drugs were involved?

Mom sells child to drug dealer.
Mom's drug dealing boyfriend abuses child.
Mom is high so she can stand the children...children are left to fend for themselves.
Mom is high and abuses children herself.
Mom is high while drug dealing boyfriend and his cronies gang rape children.
Mom is high and has no idea where children are while they are being kidnapped/tortured/abused/killed.

And on and on...(for the politically correct, feel free to insert "Dad" in place of "Mom" anywhere above).

He is most certainly a threat to people.
I agree with Angelmom.

This guy is just as much as a dirtball as the other examples you gave.

Street level drug dealers are the ones selling drugs to 10 years old in normal town usa. lock him and his buddies up and throw away the key.

Let him rot away in prison--he is a worthless member of society
I would have no problem agreeing, IF the child molestors, murders's and rapist were already handed this sentence-but they arent- I dont disagree that he is a menace to society- but I do not think this is a fair balance of justice on this sentence

I would have no problem agreeing, IF the child molestors, murders's and rapist were already handed this sentence-but they arent- I dont disagree that he is a menace to society- but I do not think this is a fair balance of justice on this sentence

Right there with ya! Rapists and child molesters absolutely should be locked up and the key tossed away. I think "murder" is a very broad category. I can't compare someone who ran a red light and caused a fatal accident with a serial killer, although both are crimes that deserve punishment. Just not the same punishment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back