699 users online (103 members and 596 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

One Girl Dead, One Injured After Falling In Arizona Mine Shaft

CHLORIDE, Ariz. Two girls riding an all-terrain vehicle fell into a mine shaft, killing one while the other remained trapped overnight, authorities said Sunday. The 10-year-old girl was pulled out in the morning with injuries.
    A 13-year-old was found dead in the mine, sheriff's spokeswoman Patricia Carter said. The injured girl was being flown to a hospital for treatment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295541,00.html

How sad......what is an all terrain vechical?

that thing parked next to the horse in the first pic

It's like a three or four-wheeler.

The girls were half-sisters. I did hear that on the news. So sad. The 10-yo is in "grave condition", I heard, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    How sad......what is an all terrain vechical?
    Its a four wheeler.
    A motorcycle with four big wheels.

Thanks mates..its what I thought it was.....we call them quad runners.

This is so sad. It makes you wonder how many kids have to die on these things before parents realize they are not toys.

I don't think the problem here is the ATV , rather the problem is the big hole they fell into that was not cordoned off or marked in any way. I grew up in Kingman AZ which is very close to there and these old mines were everywhere. I know drug dealers used to throw people who didn't pay up or whatever down the mineshafts. It would be in the newspaper every once in a awhile. You'd think they would do something about this problem by now. I was there in the 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by trixie View Post
    I don't think the problem here is the ATV , rather the problem is the big hole they fell into that was not cordoned off or marked in any way. I grew up in Kingman AZ which is very close to there and these old mines were everywhere. I know drug dealers used to throw people who didn't pay up or whatever down the mineshafts. It would be in the newspaper every once in a awhile. You'd think they would do something about this problem by now. I was there in the 60's and 70's.
    Trixie, I agree that the mines are a serious danger. Someone on a horse or riding a bike could just as easily fall in.

Unfortunately I know two people personally who have lost a young family member on one of these vehicles in their own yard, and there have been multiple accidents in our area where children with no driver's license (and usually no helmet) are driving one and end up dead or seriously injured. Tragically they often also have several other younger children riding with them. It is illegal and often fatal, but many adults seem to think of them as toys.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Trixie, I agree that the mines are a serious danger. Someone on a horse or riding a bike could just as easily fall in.

Unfortunately I know two people personally who have lost a young family member on one of these vehicles in their own yard, and there have been multiple accidents in our area where children with no driver's license (and usually no helmet) are driving one and end up dead or seriously injured. Tragically they often also have several other younger children riding with them. It is illegal and often fatal, but many adults seem to think of them as toys.
    They are deadly-I totally agree. Every child in our small neighborhood (even the really young ones) have them-except my kids. They ride them in and out of the dry creekbeds trying to make them do wheelies, on the roads,and everywhere else, with no shoes, shirts, and definitely no helmets. The closest thing they have to adult supervision is me sitting on my porch having a heart attack.
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

imarealwitch is offline witches parking only, all other will be toad
    Bless their little hearts...

Very sad to hear about something like this happening...

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post

Absolutely Angelmom I agree with you that they are dangerous for kids. No argument there. I was just referring to the mine also being dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    They are deadly-I totally agree. Every child in our small neighborhood (even the really young ones) have them-except my kids. They ride them in and out of the dry creekbeds trying to make them do wheelies, on the roads,and everywhere else, with no shoes, shirts, and definitely no helmets. The closest thing they have to adult supervision is me sitting on my porch having a heart attack.
    Yikes!

They scare me too.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!