GUILTY CA - Samuel Reta, 8 mos, beaten to death, Ontario, 25 Aug 2007

ceeaura

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295585,00.html

California Infant Dies After Mom Uses Meth Pipe Swab to Clean His Nose

Monday, September 03, 2007
service_ap_36.gif

ONTARIO, Calif. — An 8-month-old boy has died after his mother told police she accidentally cleaned his nose with a cotton swab used earlier to clean a methamphetamine pipe.
Samuel Reta of Ontario was declared dead Friday at Loma Linda University Medical Center, according to the San Bernardino County Coroner's office.
Reta had been in a coma since police responding to a child-not-breathing emergency call early Thursday found him in full cardiac arrest. The baby also has a fractured skull, broken arm and pneumonia, police said.
Elizabeth Reta, 27, was arrested Thursday and booked for investigation of felony child abuse.
Click here for FOXNews.com's Crime center.
Her boyfriend Juan Antonio Sanchez Jr., who surrendered to police later that night, was also arrested on suspicion of abusing the child, officials said.
It was not immediately known if Reta and Sanchez faced additional charges now that they boy had died, police Sgt. Joseph Giallo said Monday.
Reta had told police she gave the baby a bath, and then used the cotton swab to clean his nose because it was itching, police said. She said she didn't know the swab had been used to clean a methamphetamine pipe.
/**/
It wasn't clear when the baby suffered the broken bones. Police said some of the injuries may be the result of Sanchez's attempt to rouse the baby from his seizure.

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

:banghead: Oh Im sure it was an accident, just like them broken bones and skull fracture. What a waste of human skin.

Since when does hitting a kid get it to stop having seizures, this burns me up so bad!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295585,00.html

:furious:
ONTARIO, Calif. — An 8-month-old boy has died after his mother told police she accidentally cleaned his nose with a cotton swab used earlier to clean a methamphetamine pipe.
Samuel Reta of Ontario was declared dead Friday at Loma Linda University Medical Center, according to the San Bernardino County Coroner's office.
Reta had been in a coma since police responding to a child-not-breathing emergency call early Thursday found him in full cardiac arrest. The baby also has a fractured skull, broken arm and pneumonia, police said.
Elizabeth Reta, 27, was arrested Thursday and booked for investigation of felony child abuse.
(more at link) (boyfriend also arrested)

Well there you go, she certainly wasn't what I pictured in my mind, she looks a bit healthy to have been taking drugs! but reading the article it could have been the b/friend who used them, not her..she said she didn't know the swab had been used to clean the pipe..

That profile doesn't seem to fit the crime, proud parent, Christian, teacher- but I guess you can write anything in your profile..

Well there you go, she certainly wasn't what I pictured in my mind, she looks a bit healthy to have been taking drugs! but reading the article it could have been the b/friend who used them, not her..she said she didn't know the swab had been used to clean the pipe..

That profile doesn't seem to fit the crime, proud parent, Christian, teacher- but I guess you can write anything in your profile..

I know what you mean, narlacat. I checked pictures for the names just to make sure I had the right person. There was little "Sammy". :(

My youngest has had seizures and I can't get over the last statement of that article that says:

It wasn't clear when the baby suffered the broken bones. Police said some of the injuries may be the result of Sanchez's attempt to rouse the baby from his seizure.

Even with her first seizure we were scared as heck, but didn't fracture her skull or break any bones trying to "rouse" her out of it. Can they tell how old the fractures are in that poor baby?

I used to think broken bones would hurt enough where a baby or child would cry and cry till it got better many days later, and surely someone in charge would know something was wrong. My daughter just broke her arm and with the exception of the first 6 hours, she's in no pain whatsoever. So maybe this mom had an evil boyfriend and she had no idea of abuse or drugs....

I know what you mean, narlacat. I checked pictures for the names just to make sure I had the right person. There was little "Sammy". :(

My youngest has had seizures and I can't get over the last statement of that article that says:

Even with her first seizure we were scared as heck, but didn't fracture her skull or break any bones trying to "rouse" her out of it. Can they tell how old the fractures are in that poor baby?

I used to think broken bones would hurt enough where a baby or child would cry and cry till it got better many days later, and surely someone in charge would know something was wrong. My daughter just broke her arm and with the exception of the first 6 hours, she's in no pain whatsoever. So maybe this mom had an evil boyfriend and she had no idea of abuse or drugs....

Sorry about your youngest Taxi- how awful for you.

That's what I thought when I read the article, must have tried to shake her out of it- like that would work :(

Thanks, Narla. It's not so bad now that we understand them a little better.

I can tell you though that I did not shake my then 2 yr old enough to break or even bruise anything.

I see we have two threads going now on this article! lol

Thanks, Narla. It's not so bad now that we understand them a little better.

I can tell you though that I did not shake my then 2 yr old enough to break or even bruise anything.

I see we have two threads going now on this article! lol

Yes I see that too- check her pic in this link from the other thread- not as flattering as the one in her myspace profile!

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_6787980

"Reta did not know the Q-tip had been used to clean the drug pipe."

Makes me wonder where she got the Q-tip from! I always take a new one from the Q-tip box. If one is sitting out on the counter and looks like it's been used, I throw it away. What'd she do, just grab it off the sink? :confused:

Oh gosh that is absolutely right! I didnt even think about that.. who uses a used q-tip? Thats just grose regardless.. :waitasec:

"Reta did not know the Q-tip had been used to clean the drug pipe."

Makes me wonder where she got the Q-tip from! I always take a new one from the Q-tip box. If one is sitting out on the counter and looks like it's been used, I throw it away. What'd she do, just grab it off the sink? :confused:

this is 1 of the cases where a parent says it was a accident and i can honestly say it would never happen to me.
now some1 explain this please.
The baby was admitted to the hospital in a coma and placed on life support. He was also suffering from a skull fracture, a broken arm and pneumonia.
how exactly did he get that from the q-tip? he must have already been ill. a sick baby around a meth head is dangerous at the best of times.

This poor baby, he was so cute, how could someone do that to him, how could they not know he had pneumonia. I call the doctor if my child has a cough for a day, jeez!!

From October 2010:

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_16231846

A mother and her boyfriend have pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter in the 2007 death of the woman's 8-month-old son.

Authorities said the mother, Elizabeth Reta, swabbed Samuel Reta's nose with a Q-Tip tainted with methamphetamine. Her boyfriend, Juan Antonio Sanchez, then beat the child to try to get him to come down from the high...

Reta's plea bargain carries a sentence of 11 years... Sanchez, 35, of Pomona, was sentenced the day of his plea to 27 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back