TX - Carter Albrecht of New Bohemians shot to death, Dallas

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
link

DALLAS — Jeffrey Carter Albrecht, a keyboard player for the band Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, was shot to death early Monday while trying to kick in the door of his girlfriend's neighbor, police said.
The neighbor, who was not immediately identified, was asleep in bed when he woke up around 4 a.m. to his wife screaming that someone was breaking into the house, according to a police report. The neighbor yelled through the door for Albrecht to leave and then fired his handgun through the door.
Albrecht was shot in the head and died at the scene, police said.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I saw this in the morning. The headline confused me because I thought initially Edie Brickell had been shot too! I really like her voice, so I'm glad she wasn't killed.

What a weird series of events though.

link

DALLAS — Jeffrey Carter Albrecht, a keyboard player for the band Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, was shot to death early Monday while trying to kick in the door of his girlfriend's neighbor, police said.
The neighbor, who was not immediately identified, was asleep in bed when he woke up around 4 a.m. to his wife screaming that someone was breaking into the house, according to a police report. The neighbor yelled through the door for Albrecht to leave and then fired his handgun through the door.
Albrecht was shot in the head and died at the scene, police said.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hope the neighbor doesn't get charged; it's much better to be in Dallas than NYC if you have to defend yourself with a handgun.

Reflecting on shooting through closed doors, I initially thought that was a bad idea, since you have no way of seeing if anyone else is in the field of fire. However, if you wait for him to break through and he has a gun, you've lost a lot of your deterrent and tactical advantage and have a duel on your hands!

I don't think I would shoot through a closed door in a situation like this, but I feel the guy was well within his rights to do so.

Crypto6

If I was fearful for my life I would do it. My uncle has told me though for legal reasons its best to let them get in the house first. I hope he is not charged too.

Hope the neighbor doesn't get charged; it's much better to be in Dallas than NYC if you have to defend yourself with a handgun.

Reflecting on shooting through closed doors, I initially thought that was a bad idea, since you have no way of seeing if anyone else is in the field of fire. However, if you wait for him to break through and he has a gun, you've lost a lot of your deterrent and tactical advantage and have a duel on your hands!

I don't think I would shoot through a closed door in a situation like this, but I feel the guy was well within his rights to do so.

Crypto6
I totally agree.

If I was fearful for my life I would do it. My uncle has told me though for legal reasons its best to let them get in the house first. I hope he is not charged too.

It depends on where you live.

In Florida they do not have to be in your house .. for that matter they don't even have to be on your property.
If someone is posing what could be considered by a reasonable person a threat to you or another you can use deadly force to stop them.

In Michigan they have a tendency to side with the criminals sometimes. I think you would be fine but it can be more difficult.

It is perfectly legal in Oklahoma to shoot someone breaking into your house because the very act dictates you and your family are being put into a situtation of mortal danger. People normally just knock if they aren't going to accost you!

It sounds like this was a case of the keyboard player being possibly "out of it" and having the wrong house while preparing to attack his girlfriend...doesn't it?!

I saw this in the morning. The headline confused me because I thought initially Edie Brickell had been shot too! I really like her voice, so I'm glad she wasn't killed.

What a weird series of events though.

Shame on the reporter for wording it like that!! I thought the same thing, and so did others. From another forum, and I agree!

I suppose a grammar nazi might tell me that the ampersand changes this, but as I understand grammar, the headline means:

Edie Brickell (was) shot to death,
And
New Bohemians Keyboard player (was) shot to death.

The exception would be if god forbid they had "wasted" a drop of ink and written the headline:

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians keyboardist was shot to death. It would still look like Edia had been shot on first glance, but would be defensible because it didn't say "_were_ shot to death".

The headline should've said :

Keyboardist for Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians shot to death

Did anyone else hear that he is taking Chantix to stop smoking and has been acting out of character as of late; hence the outbursts of anger. Supposedly this guy was very mild mannered before. They said on the radio this morning that the neighbor was scared when this guy was beating on the door (he was thinking he was at his own house and he had been drinking) The neighbor was trying to aim high but this guy was very tall and unfortunately he got him right in the head. Very sad.

Shame on the reporter for wording it like that!! I thought the same thing, and so did others. From another forum, and I agree!

The headline should've said :

Keyboardist for Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians shot to death
Dearest PSUfan,:blowkiss:
I learned something from you today. I did not know that the band changed their name. I never kept up with their music. Not my style of music. When the band first started in the 80's, it was named "Edie Brickell & New Bohemians".

I did not know that the band dropped Edie's name from the band until today when I saw your post and wondered why the reporter's title should have been different. I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw the name change on this site;
Wikipedia; Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians album

So with the press knowing that the band changed their name long ago, why did they use that headline? I can see now why people were confused.

I only posted the headline that is on the article, and I had no clue that they changed their name.
I want to thank-you very much for your post and I will go and edit the title if the edit part allows me to. If not, maybe a Moderator can help us out with that.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy