1397 users online (273 members and 1124 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VA - Betsy Smith, 22, raped & murdered, Spotsylvania, 3 Sept 2007

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. — A teenager was charged on Tuesday with killing and raping his sister and beating his niece with a sledgehammer in a crime the sheriff called one of the most brutal he's ever seen.[/SIZE]
    Walter Smith Jr., 16, was charged with the first-degree murder and rape of his 22-year-old sister, Betsy Mary Smith, and aggravated assault against his two year-old niece, Andrea Costello.[/SIZE]
    Smith was charged after he recounted Monday morning's events to Spotsylvania detectives, said Sheriff Howard Smith. Based on Walter Smith's accounts, police said Betsy Smith was beaten with a sledgehammer and stabbed before being raped. When Costello began crying, she was struck in the head with a sledgehammer. Betsy Smith, Costello and a 1-year-old boy were then locked inside the room.[/SIZE]
    "This is probably one of the more brutal cases that I've been involved in here," said Sheriff Smith, who has been with the sheriff's office for 22 years.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295789,00.html
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 09-05-2007 at 09:35 PM.

His mother is defending him????

That's HORRIBLE. Am I reading right? The rest of the family was in the house?!

Oh man, this p.o.s. snapped big time. I hope he is tried as an adult and gets the d/p. Nothing out yet about what led up to this horrible attack?

http://www.fredericksburg.com/

Middle of page has a picture of victim. Click on "FREDCAST" to view interview w/Sheriff and a family member.

This all happened at 1 a.m Monday morning...the victim's mom heard the babies crying at 3-4 pm that afternoon and sent the 16 yr old to check on them????

This family sounds all screwed up.

I agree Taximom!

Some blanks are simply not filled in here.

The 16 year old was on medication for depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesleegp View Post
    The 16 year old was on medication for depression.
    I caught that too lesleegp... but the shear brutality of this crime outweighs that mitigating factor IMO.

I am just missing something here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I caught that too lesleegp... but the shear brutality of this crime outweighs that mitigating factor IMO.

I am just missing something here I think.
    I agree 100%, just wanted to show he apparently had some issues already anyway. This wasn't just out of the blue.

Wow, I hope they take the babies away from this screwed up family. They sound like their from the backwoods, did you hear how the mother talks in the "". He don't know what he did, crazy. I wonder if they were covering it up, thats why the story of what happened to the 2 year old.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I felt the same way after watching the video, imthemom. It does sound like a coverup...especially having the body locked in a room when the police arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    I felt the same way after watching the video, imthemom. It does sound like a coverup...especially having the body locked in a room when the police arrived.
    Another thing, maybe he didn't do it at all but they convinced him to say he did because he is a minor and would get off easier. That may be why the mother is saying he doesn't remember. Just a thought.

He must have seriously lost his mind to do something so horrible. I cant believe a mother would defend this though. So sad and scary and sick.

Well it seems like he confessed, but what if it were an older male in the family - like the father? Just tossing out ideas.

I still can't believe those two little kids were in there alone with the dead body for so long. Nobody was concerned that they (including Betsy) didn't come out of the room (that was padlocked, hmm ) to eat or go to the bathroom?

This is a very strange case.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast