Nicole Kidman

Amraann

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295647,00.html

Does anyone besides me think its darn odd that Nicole said this...

"Even though she remains a devout Catholic, Kidman said the two kids she adopted with Cruise — Bella, 14, and Connor, 12 — are being raised Scientologists.
They have joint custody, but Kidman admitted Bella and Connor prefer Los Angeles and being close to Dad."

Its like she adopted them for him not to be a mom????

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295647,00.html

Does anyone besides me think its darn odd that Nicole said this...

"Even though she remains a devout Catholic, Kidman said the two kids she adopted with Cruise — Bella, 14, and Connor, 12 — are being raised Scientologists.
They have joint custody, but Kidman admitted Bella and Connor prefer Los Angeles and being close to Dad."

Its like she adopted them for him not to be a mom????

What do you find odd about it, Amraann? I know some couples that have different spiritual paths and the kids are raised in one but not the other.

I also didn't understand you last question about adopting for him not to be a Mom.

What do you find odd about it, Amraann? I know some couples that have different spiritual paths and the kids are raised in one but not the other.

I also didn't understand you last question about adopting for him not to be a Mom.

I was not necessarily referring to the religious choice but more the fact that the children prefer to be close to him??

If that is the case then why would she live half way around the world?
It seems she does not spend much time with her children and its a sad commentary as far as her mothering goes.

I agree. I think Nicole was able to avoid the Scientology influence which probably led to her divorce. I think it's admirable she allowed her children to live in L.A. (their preference) but I wonder if she really had much of a choice.

There's also this:
"A secret ill-fated engagement, a traumatic miscarriage, a brand spankin' new rehab-bound husband—on and off screen, Nicole Kidman knows from drama.
The typically reticent, at least in matters of privacy, actress has opened up to Vanity Fair on the turns in her life that have both dominated the headlines and miraculously managed to keep out of them—until now.
The 40-year-old actress, who has two adopted children with ex-hubby Tom Cruise and who has made no secret of her desire to have more with new hubby Keith Urban, revealed in the magazine's October issue that she suffered not one but two miscarriages during her relationship with Cruise and that her early loss paved the way for the adoption of her two children, Isabella, 14, and Connor, 12."

Link: http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=40801820-79a8-47dc-bbdc-759afa27ad8d

I was not necessarily referring to the religious choice but more the fact that the children prefer to be close to him??

It seems she does not spend much time with her children and its a sad commentary as far as her mothering goes.

She lives in Nashville and has a home in Sydney. I think she spends as much time with them as she can but doesn't do it as publicly as tomcat.

I find the Scientology bit odd as well..

Why would she agree to letting her children be raised like that?

That is THE question. I could never allow it.

--agree Amraann--I don't get that either but perhaps she gave in to Cruise instead of arguing with him about it all the time--But I wonder if these kids were not adopted,would she feel the same way about letting them be raised by a cult? The situation could be much different if these 2 kids were her own flesh and blood

Part of me also thinks that having them around her druggy husband is not a great parenting move either.

--agree Amraann--I don't get that either but perhaps she gave in to Cruise instead of arguing with him about it all the time--But I wonder if these kids were not adopted,would she feel the same way about letting them be raised by a cult? The situation could be much different if these 2 kids were her own flesh and blood
Nicole seems like a nonconfrontation person; and Tom seems confrontational. The kids go to school and have friends and ties in their community with Tom. Nicole has basically moved to Australia, hasn't she? The kids are teens and probably want to spend more time in familiar surroundings with their friends. Plus, they are involved in sports. So, I understand why the kids are saying what they say.

Now, for being raised Scientologists...That part scares me too death. :eek:

Wow - the ignorance of this post astounds me. Parents of adopted children love their children as much as if they came from their own flesh, and I am amazed that anyone would think otherwise.

Getting a child is the easy part. Raising it is what makes you a parent.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I thought she was very honest in the article - which was surprising because she is usally fairly close-lipped.

I've always thought she was an excellent and secure mother. If she is secure in her role as their mother, it shouldn't bother her to admit that right now the kids prefer to spend more time with their Dad. In divorced families, as kids grow up, they often go back and forth about which parent they want to be with.

.... The kids go to school and have friends and ties in their community with Tom. Nicole has basically moved to Australia, hasn't she? The kids are teens and probably want to spend more time in familiar surroundings with their friends. Plus, they are involved in sports. So, I understand why the kids are saying what they say......

I agree and I think it's cool that Nicole can say this out loud and be comfortable with it. I have always felt like she and Tom do a good job of co-parenting. They seem to be friends and I think that's great.

I'm not a Scientologist, but I don't find it scarier than any other type of organized religion/spritual path. Obviously Nicole's not afraid of it or I doubt she'd let her chldren be raised in it.

Wow - the ignorance of this post astounds me. Parents of adopted children love their children as much as if they came from their own flesh, and I am amazed that anyone would imply otherwise.

Getting a child is the easy part. Raising it is what makes you a parent.

Actually SCM I don't think it is ignorant at all.

I am wondering the same thing. I find it extremely odd that she would permit her children to be raised like that.

It is rare that anyone ever sees the children with her.

Nanandjim your argument does seem plausable but if that was the case wouldn't most mothers take up residence near their children?

Her husband is a recovering drug addict. So is my husband. Is it not a great parenting move for my husband to be around my kids?!:D

Her husband was in rehab immediatley after she married him.

From what you have said your husband is the father of your children ...
I would defiantly take issue with any mother marrying a druggy and exposing her children to that KNOWINGLY.

Actually SCM I don't think it is ignorant at all.

I am wondering the same thing. I find it extremely odd that she would permit her children to be raised like that.

It is rare that anyone ever sees the children with her.

Nanandjim your argument does seem plausable but if that was the case wouldn't most mothers take up residence near their children?

I think your dislike of Scientology influences your thoughts on the subject. Plenty of people raise their kids is Scientology - that doesn't mean they don't love their kids.

I think Nicole is a more private person (and parent) than Tom and so we don't see as many public pictures of her with them. Like I said in an earlier post, I've always gotten the feeling that she and Tom are good parents.

I remain firm in my stance that it is ignorant to imply that a person would love an adopted child less than a child that came from their body.

It's none of my business how Nicole mothers her children.

Her husband was in rehab immediatley after she married him.

From what you have said your husband is the father of your children ...
I would defiantly take issue with any mother marrying a druggy and exposing her children to that KNOWINGLY.

Her husband had clean time and was in recovery when she married him. He relapsed shortly after they married and then took steps to get clean again. For all she knew when she married him, he was going to stay clean forever.

When you marry a recovering addict, you take those chances. They might stay clean, like my husband has done, or they might relapse, like her husband did. But she couldn't have forseen the relapse.

I actually think it's a good thing to expose children to people in recovery from addiction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back