MD - Richard Marks for attempted kidnapping of 9yo, Dundalk, 2007

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
i hope this link works. it is a video report. a ex-con was found in kids bedroom. they think he planned to kidnap the kids. working on the link.

WOW, that could have turned out so differently. How did he get in?

We deadbolt our doors, but I still have cases like Jessica Lunsford's murder on my mind. Our windows are shut at night too. He had to have scoped out this house. He also brought the chemicals to knock these kids out? (Or maybe just the boy?!) :(

Lock this guy up FOREVER.

found a link to a written story. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20630415

BALTIMORE - The Baltimore County man who was caught lurking in a children's bedroom in the middle of the night has a history of sex offenses, according to police documents. Richard Marks, 49, was charged with attempted sex offense in that case, but charging documents show that this is part of a pattern of behavior for Marks that dates back to early 1970s.
Police said Marks has repeatedly broken into the bedrooms of young boys and sexually molested them.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14052162/detail.html
Police said Marks ran out of the house but was caught by the father who held him until police arrived. Officers found two rags with a chemical smell and one of the children was lethargic and confused.

Police found binoculars, rubber gloves, *advertiser censored* and information on various chemicals, including a date rape drug in Marks' home about half mile away.

long story at this link. lots of detail. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_county/bal-md.co.bedroom06sep06,0,7213938.story
Marks' mother, Addie Garlitz, 70, said she has little sympathy for her son.

"I don't know what is wrong with him," she said. "I want everybody to know I'm not supporting him."

She said that her son had learning disabilities and had dropped out of school after the seventh grade.

Most of the court documents in Marks' previous cases have been destroyed because of their age. But docket entries - combined with interviews with county prosecutors and state parole and prison officials - show that he has spent all but about nine months of the past 33 years behind bars.

Marks was first arrested in May 1974 at age 16, and convicted of burglary and assault, records show. A Baltimore County jury acquitted him of assault with intent to rape. He was sentenced to eight years in prison. He was later convicted of assault with intent to murder and burglary, earning another 16 years in prison.

Tanya Smith, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Parole Commission, said that Marks was released in 1990, when he had earned enough "diminution credits" for good behavior, working and attending education programs. He was arrested four months later and charged with burglary, sex offenses, perverted practice, assault, battery, theft and breaking and entering.

Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott D. Shellenberger said that prosecutors pursued the maximum sentence for Marks - 25 years without the possibility of parole - under the state's repeat-offender statutes.

Good Lord, sherri, what a crazy story which could have had a terrible ending. Thank goodness that father found him.

Good Lord, sherri, what a crazy story which could have had a terrible ending. Thank goodness that father found him.
i have no idea why this father woke up. he has no idea. maybe he heard something in his sleep. maybe a angel whispered in his ear. maybe he just got lucky. after reading all the horrible details of what couey did i shudder to think what would have happened to this child if dad had stayed asleep. we may not know why he woke but thank god he did.

Thank God he did wake up! Or he may have woken up to find one or both of his children missing or dead.

I'm glad they are going to start locking their doors.

This case needs to be watched. This guy can be good in prison when there are no little boys around to tempt him. I hope the parole board knows his full history the next time he comes before them.

my thoughts on this case...
1.his mother is not shocked by this but she still let him stay in her home?
2. i dont care how nice your neighborhood is.for god sakes lock your doors people. bad guys have cars and can get you anywhere.
3. i hope they can press charges on whoever sold him ether online.
4. he got out early for good behavior because at night he was locked in a cell and could not act out the bad behavior he preferred....
5. he was convicted of assault with intent to murder. why was he ever let out? why reward him because he is a failure? he wanted to kill but we only give him 16 years because he sucks at killing?

Very good thoughts Sherry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back