688 users online (62 members and 626 guests)  

Websleuths News

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

VA - 10-Year-Old Girl Discovers Intruder In Bedroom

10-Year-Old Girl Discovers Intruder In Bedroom

McLEAN, Va. - Fairfax County police are investigating whether a Tuesday morning home invasion is linked to an attempted abduction last week, authorities said. A 10-year-old girl woke up at about 2:45 a.m. on Tuesday and found a stranger standing in her bedroom at a home in the 1800 block of Virginia Avenue in McLean, police said. The girl ran to her parents' bedroom to tell them about the incident, and the girl's father then saw the man standing outside his home. The intruder then walked down the driveway and fled in an unknown direction, the homeowner said.

Description of perp and story of an attempted abduction a week earlier in the same area at link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20610759/

I hope Le moves fast on this case, this guy is getting way too brave.

I feel like all types of criminals are increasingly brazen. This poor little girl! My daughter hears things on the news (accidentally) about crimes like this and she gets real scared. I have to point out all the ways she's safe, even though I now wonder if it's enough!

I can't imagine what hell this 10 yr girl is going to go through for a very long time. I'll have to remember her in my prayers.

Its frightening. My kids could never figure out why I wouldn't let them sleep with the windows open. My husband, kids, and neighbors thought I was nuts. Maybe I was, still am about open windows.
    I just hope they get this guy before he starts picking on a younger child not able to get away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    Its frightening. My kids could never figure out why I wouldn't let them sleep with the windows open. My husband, kids, and neighbors thought I was nuts. Maybe I was, still am about open windows.
    I just hope they get this guy before he starts picking on a younger child not able to get away from him.
    Same here. We have central air and use it during the summer most nights. I just can't take the chance.

Now my oldest has a 1st floor apt. and about 80% of one wall, which is off her bedroom, living room and dining area, is basically windows or patio doors. I was SO upset when she told me and she just didn't understand. "OH MOM" The screen windows are really flimsy, and she just has those vertical blinds which don't always close tightly enough to keep out wandering eyes. I just bought her those alarms that will go off if there's movement between the window and the sill (or door), so I have to go put those on.

It's not just nighttime that you have to be concerned about either. Just recently a neighbor had their kitchen window open, and someone ripped the screen open with a knife and got her purse off the table right by the window! Broad daylight AND she was home but not near the kitchen. She thinks it's her son's friend, but so far can't prove anything. I hope it's not random....

Does she have sliding glass doors? Cut a 2x4 and fit it down in the door frame when its shut. Thats better than any lock or alarm for that.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    We're hearing more of these attempted abductions and guys in children's bedrooms all the time.

Does she have sliding glass doors? Cut a 2x4 and fit it down in the door frame when its shut. Thats better than any lock or alarm for that.
    OH! I didn't think of that, but I've seen them before. Thanks!!

That feels secure but doesn't stop someone from lifting the door out of the track with a screwdriver or crowbar - and that's how experienced thieves and rapists get in...they lift the door right out - and no bar or piece of wood to stop the door from sliding sideways will stop THAT.

To SECURE a window or sliding door TOTALLY you need to put a metal rod or "pin" thru the frames - literally drill a hole where the two door (or window) frames overlap (with the door or window closed and locked) and put a steel rod or pin thru both frames. The door or window cannot be opened sideways OR lifted out. You can do same thing on a window on the edge of the frame sides and have the window open a few inches too. The pin prevents the window from being opened any further. Most hardware stores sell kits with the pin attached to a chain so you can attach the pin right there permanently so it stays put when you take it out to open the door or window.

I have done this for YEARS and it WORKS. Once I lived in an apt and every neighbor around me got broken into and I didn't - I was the ONLY ONE who's patio door wasn't left leaning against the frame after the thief neatly and quickly stuck a big screwdriver under it and lifted the whole thing out and walked in. Apt managers do not mind and it does not disfigure the window or door in any way. Some apts already HAVE the pins IN the patio door - it's a security benefit and so cheap and easy AND EFFECTIVE.