DC DC - Barbara Dreher, 39, Washington DC, 12 Aug 1984

Richard

Reaction score
Barbara Jean Dreher
Missing since August 12, 1984 from Washington D.C
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown eyes; black hair. Medium complexion.
Clothing: Green shirt and white slacks.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Barbara Dreher, a secretary with the D.C. public school system for 15 years, was last seen by her daughter on August 12. Dreher, a mother of five, drove to the home of her 19-year-old daughter about 5 p.m. on August 12.

Dreher dropped off her 6- and 9-year-old sons at the daughter's home, saying she was going to pick up some money and would be back shortly. Dreher then drove away in a 1980 burgundy Oldsmobile Cutlass and has not been seen since.

Dreher was not reported missing until nine days later, as she sometimes stayed for long periods of time with her estranged husband in Hillcrest Heights.

Dreher's car was found abandoned outside a Southwest apartment building. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Detective James Trainum
Violent Crime Case Review Project
Violent Criminal Apprehension Program/ViCAP
202-727-5037

Source Information:
ViCAP
Washington Post
Doe Network Case 2420dfdc

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2420dfdc.html

Barbara Jean Dreher disappeared in August 1984. She worked in Washington DC, was last seen in DC and her car was later found in Southwest DC.

The case summary mentions that she sometimes visited or stayed with her estranged husband who lived in Hillcrest Heights. Hillcrest Heights is actually in Prince Georges County, Maryland just south of the DC line.

Detective James Trainum is the investigator for this case. He is also mentioned in other DC cold cases here on Websleuths, including The Freeway Phantom killings and the disappearance of Shaquilla Bell.

Charley Project Info:

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Dreher was last seen in Washington, D.C. on August 12, 1984. She dropped off her two young sons at her adult daughter's home at 5:00 p.m. She said she was going to pick up some money and would return shortly. She was driving a burgundy 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass at the time. She never returned to her daughter's home and has never been heard from again.

Prior to her disappearance, Dreher had occasionally spent extended periods of time with her estranged husband in Hillcrest Heights. She was not reported as a missing person for nine days as a result.

A few days after Dreher went missing, one of her relatives saw another man driving her car. The relative followed the driver to an apartment building in the southwest section of the city, where he parked Dreher's car and got out. Her relative called the police and identified a man as the driver when investigators arrived at the scene.

The man denied having driven Dreher's car and said he did not know her. Since her vehicle had not been listed as stolen, the man was not taken into custody. Dreher's car was impounded, however. A ski mask, gloves and rope were found inside it, as well as some items belonging to Dreher.

Dreher had been employed as a secretary for the Washington public school system for fifteen years prior to her disappearance. She has five children. Foul play is suspected in Dreher's case, which remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/barbara-jean-dreher

Bump for Barbara.

Seems like there should be more rule outs but not sure what identifiers authorities may have for her. There are only 3 and they appear to be auto exclusions (VA).

This is interesting.
I Was 9 in 1984.
I rememeber this guy in my area.
(Five mintue scene set , it matters) I used to say neighborhood but I understand most people think of a neighborhood as their subdivision. My county was my neighborhood and I still know everyone there. Its a hometown. Not mine i am an implant because i moved there when I was 9. It however is now a whole area ..because it's a tri-county bunch of bs eveywhich way ya can see from your car that is stuck in traffic .
So this guy in my area found a purse with a D.C id ,in it with about 700 bucks.
That sounded like a lot of money to my 9 year old self. So I paid attention to this mess.
My kid self made notes for the adult me .
the purse was found on 606 bridge in 1984 ,there was a old skool boat launch on the east side of the bridge . I saw the I.D , even held it in my hands. I cannot remember any writing except a red date of 1963.
I kinda feel the name debra might relate somehow and I alway wondered if there was her body in the river...
This year , and yes I have search checked looked for thing to match my notes.. This case only hits on the correct timeframe. However I was 9 and the ID was in the road so facts are not there . I live 50 miles from richmond and DC. Those crime districts are close and so so different..

This August will mark 40 years missing.​

dreher_barbara.jpg

Barbara Jean Dreher, Age 39​

Missing since 12 August 1984​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members