Polygraphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjak

Reaction score
I have wondered why the Mccaans have not taken a polygraph. If I was in their shoes and innocent at this point I would want MY attorney to have a polygraph done on me. Assuming the results supported my innocnet I would want that released to the media. I can understand prehaps not wanting to take a polygraph given by the authories because of fears of its unreliablity but one my attorney sets conrols the releasing of the results would be something I would want to do at this point. If I was PLE I would have asked the Mccaans to take a polygraph. Do they have plogygraphs in Portugal?

mjak

No. But if I'd been the McCanns and innocent, I would've volunteered to take a polygraph from an independent company in the UK.

Maybe they will now that they are back in the UK. We shall see, I suppose.

If I were Maddies parent, I would take a polygraph. A polygraph or any human or machine wouldn't intimidate me, my child is missing. The machine would probably jump off the table and run when I entered the room. :banghead:

We ought to nicely go over to Gerry's blog and demand they take one. Someone needs to ask Gerry about whether Maddy had health problems like autism or charger as being talked about on another thread. Ask it in the past tense too, to try and trip him up. "Did Maddy have autism?" Instead of, "Does Maddy have Austism?" "Was her condition noticeable?" etc...

Take a polygraph, Mr. and Mrs. Innocent!!!! Establish one brick to achieve a foundation of innocense. One brick at the time. :banghead: :banghead:

Finally - Someone has asked the same question that I have been asking myself over and over again: Why don't they just take a polygraph test? If I were in their shoes and the Portugal police were wasting precious resources on me, the parent, I would take the test to get them to focus their attentions on who may have really taken my daughter. Now, if I were guilty of something, I would continue to proclaim my innocence and update my website with my mundane activities for all the world to read. Of course, I would also make it known that $$$ was still needed and wanted. :rolleyes:

Thats why I have thought from the start the McCanns were involved, it things like this which start the hinky meter running, it would be one of the first things I would ask for if I were in there position, asking for a polygraph would at least give them some credence as being innocent, but I dont think they will ask or take a polygraph as will only make them look more guilty.

I dunno these two are super cool, maybe could even fool a Polygraph it has been done! If anyone cracks it will be Gerry I think!

They need to do the polygraph, especially if they are innocent. They could set it up in England, where they are comfortable. And yes, I suppose they could fool the machine, but the way Kate's hands shook and Gerry's voice broke today, I would venture to guess they may no longer be as cool as they were a few weeks ago.

They really need to do this. If they are innocent, they need to do it so that people will start looking for Maddie again. So that the focus of the investigation is back on their daughter and not on them.

Salem

If I were these people I would buy my own polygraph set it up on the street invite the media and get it done. Unless I was guilty....

mjak

IMO the McCanns will never take a poly. The reason is obvious.

So sad.

Maddie may the angels be with you, where ever you are.

Polygraphs are not really used by the police like they appear to be in the UK. I do not think I have every heard of one being used by the police. I think they are used more by Tv chat shows like the Jeremy Kyle show.

Polygraphs are not used in court as they have to high an error margin.

They are useful tools but over all not considered evidence in any court.

The McCanns will avoid them like the plague as they will realise they would have no control over the outcomes, if administered properly.

What is wrong with truth drugs? About time the mccanns were given them

This article is from the end of 2011, and it is only about a rather small trial. If you read it it does say that lie detectors are normally seen as trash TV aids in the UK.

I do not like the idea they are going to be releasing sex offenders, or changing their control orders, based on the results of polygraphs. If someone takes an anti-anxiety pill they can easily pass a polygraph. I imagine if they start using this more routinely for sex offenders, ways to get round it will beocme more well known. I really would have thought that once someone had abused a child they would be treated as high risk once they are released. People do not suddenly change their sexual preferences.

A further 12-month trial is expected to start in April, the force says.

Also from the above link
Acpo, which represents chief police officers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, said its Homicide Working Group advised police on the use of polygraph techniques.

"Polygraph techniques are complex and are by no means a single solution to solving crimes, potentially offering in certain circumstances an additional tool to structured interrogation," a spokeswoman said.

"These initial trials are in their very early stages and we will follow their progress, working with chief officers across the country to provide further guidance if necessary.

"Whether these techniques are adopted elsewhere in the country is a matter for individual chief constables."

The results of lie detector tests are considered too unreliable for use in criminal trials.

Bruce Burgess, a former chairman of the British Polygraph Association, said lie detectors were considered to be a useful "investigative tool" in the US, even though they produced evidence that was "very difficult to get into court" and were unlikely ever to be used as "a guilty or innocent tool".

He said offering polygraph tests to a number of suspects could provide a degree of insight if, for example, somebody refused to take the test.

"If they polygraph six people and they get five truthful results and one deceptive, they can home in on that person and cut down on a lot of police work. That's the way it's used in America," he added.

Although the Hertfordshire pilot looked at the use of lie detectors to aid decisions over whether or not to charge suspects, a three-year pilot study in the East and West Midlands could lead to the compulsory testing of convicted sex offenders."

If they are unreliable, could that not screw up the investigation if they cause the police to look away from a suspect who passed? Maybe it is a cultural thing, I associate them with the jeremy Kyle show.

Also from the above link
Acpo, which represents chief police officers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, said its Homicide Working Group advised police on the use of polygraph techniques.

"Polygraph techniques are complex and are by no means a single solution to solving crimes, potentially offering in certain circumstances an additional tool to structured interrogation," a spokeswoman said.

I think it's great they are taking a good hard look at it, also that they intend to use it in very controlled ways.

It seems pretty much decided that it will be used in the future in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77