847 users online (162 members and 685 guests)  

Websleuths News

Body Shop founder Anita Roddick dies

ANITA Roddick, the founder of the Body Shop cosmetics store, has died after suffering a major brain haemorrhage. She was 64.

The businesswoman, dubbed the Queen of Green, died today at a hospital in southern England, with her husband and daughters by her side, the family said in a statement.

"Gordon, Justine and Sam Roddick are very sad to announce that after suffering a major brain haemorrhage, Anita Roddick died at 6.30pm this evening at the age of 64," the statement said.

"Anita Roddick was admitted to St Richard's Hospital in Chichester, close to her home, yesterday evening when she collapsed after complaining of a sudden headache."

Roddick was called the Queen of Green for her trailblazing environmentally-friendly, humane business practices that made her a leader in her native England and around the world.

Greenpeace executive director John Sauven called Roddick an "incredible woman" who would be "sorely missed."

"She was so ahead of her time when it came to issues of how business could be done in different ways, not just profit motivated but taking into account environmental issues," Sauven said.

"When you look at it today, and how every company claims to be green, she was living this decades ago."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22398583-2,00.html

I saw her interviewed a few times... She was an amazing woman.
    So sad!

RIP Anita

RIP Anita. You did good.

I am addicted to the Shea Body Butter for very dry skin-I'm glad to know a good woman started this line of products; which reminds me I need to go to the mall and get some MO.

I love Body Shop products, but never really knew how they came to be. What an amazing woman! RIP Ms. Roddick.
    You put the light in me...

I saw this out of the corner of my eye and thought it said "Andy Roddick". I almost choked.