Deadly Painkiller in Dog Food

kahskye

Inactive
Reaction score
I received this email from another forum I frequent and wanted to pass this on. My goodness, I feed my 6 dogs Canidae mixed w/ Embark. I guess they're getting straight Embark today until I can do more research.

DEADLY PAINKILLER IN DOG FOOD

by Robert Jay Russell, Ph.D., Coton de Tulear Club of America President
CotonNews@aol. com
www.CotonClub. com

September 9th, 2007. In a breaking story, both Itchmo.com and
ConsumerAffairs. com have reported that a private individual sent samples of dog food to a
private laboratory for analysis and the sample containing Canidae (dry food)
tested positive for Acetaminophen, an analgesic which can prove fatal to pets.

This is not the first time this year that pet food has been found
contaminated with Acetaminophen; pets have died as a result. The pain killer is extremely
toxic to cats who lack any enzyme to break down the compound. It is
hepatotoxic in cats, dogs and people.

Expertox, the private, Texas-based laboratory that found Acetaminophen in Pet
Pride cat food earlier and now Canidae dog food has tested between 100-150
samples for toxins and found Acetaminophen in five of those samples. Expertox
has not released the names of all the companies whose food tested positive,
however.

Canidae, located in California, vigorously disputes the findings and claims
that it imports no ingredients from China. Whether that is true remains to be
seen, since I have not found any commercial pet food that could be prepared
without at least some Chinese ingredients. For example, neither taurine,
essential for the prevention of cardiomyopathy in cats and probably dogs as well is
100% sourced from China (no place else makes it anymore!). Similarly, most human
and pet vitamins are exclusively Chinese produced.

PLEASE SEE THE LINK FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE ARTICLE.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED BY ADMIN DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

*gulp*

I JUST changed my dogs from Canidae to Nutro.

Thanks for posting this, kahskye!

I switched to Natural Balance after the first pet food scare...then, there was a problem with that and I switched to Canidae for my dog and Felidae for the cats. Good thing Josie was gassy on the Canidae because we switched to Avoderm. Now that my cats are older (2 are 15 and 2 are about 10) they only want to eat Friskies...:)

We dont have these problems here ..touchwood.......but I think it is a good arguement for feeding your pets fresh meat and veges you have prepared yourself.......I usually get Jakes meat from the butchers when I am getting our own....alot of times he eats what we eat and I dont find it to be anymore expensive then buying dog food which he wont eat anyway.

We dont have these problems here ..touchwood.......but I think it is a good arguement for feeding your pets fresh meat and veges you have prepared yourself.......I usually get Jakes meat from the butchers when I am getting our own....alot of times he eats what we eat and I dont find it to be anymore expensive then buying dog food which he wont eat anyway.

I feed my dogs homemade food as well as their dry food. Their dry food is from Natures Recipe. They love the homemade food and I feel better giving it to them.

Here is a link to the topic in Pet Corner about this, notice it isn't "just" pets that are at risk. (See my posts there.)

I feed my dogs homemade food as well as their dry food. Their dry food is from Natures Recipe. They love the homemade food and I feel better giving it to them.
Hi paperdoll....we even invested in a food dehydrater and now we can make all of Jakes treats aswell.

Josie doesn't get actual dog treats anymore. She gets sugar snap-peas :) She loves peas.

Kahskye: I went to the link, but can't find the rest of the article. Can you help me find it?:p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back