952 users online (186 members and 766 guests)  

Websleuths News

Thumbs up In 9/11 remembrance, a turning to good deeds

On Sept. 11, Jacob Sundberg of San Antonio has pledged to make eye contact and smile at everyone he meets. Kaitlin Ulrich will bring goody baskets to the police and fire departments in and around Philadelphia. And 100 volunteers from New York 9/11 firefighters and family members among them are going to Groesbeck, Texas, to rebuild a house destroyed by a tornado last December.

This is a minute sampling of the hundreds of thousands of people who have pledged to memorialize those killed on 9/11 by doing something good for others.

The heroic acts of all those killed trying to save others that September morning has spawned a growing grass-roots movement. The goal is to ensure that future generations remember not just the horror of the attacks, but also the extraordinary outpouring of humanity during the days, weeks, and months that followed.

"It was the worst possible day imaginable, and in some ways, a remarkable day, too, in the way in which people responded," says David Paine, cofounder of myGoodDeed.org. "We need to rekindle the way we came together in the spirit of 9/11: It would be almost as much a tragedy to lose that lesson."

Sept. 11 has inspired dozens of philanthropic efforts from groups dedicated to building memorials to foundations designed to improve education in the Middle East. But myGoodDeed has a more universal goal: to turn 9/11 into a day dedicated to doing good from small, simple things like Lisa Scheive's pledge to help stranded turtles cross the road in Pompano Beach, Fla., to lifesaving efforts, such as John Feal's decision in New York to donate one of his kidneys to help a seriously ill 9/11 worker.

The idea has been endorsed by members of Congress, and at myGoodDeed's urging, President Bush for the first time this year included a call for volunteering in his annual 9/11 proclamation.

The idea of turning 9/11 into a day of service, charity, and good deeds came from the family and friends of one man: Glenn Winuk, a volunteer fireman and lawyer who worked a block and a half from the World Trade Center. After he helped evacuate his Broadway law offices, he grabbed a medic's bag and ran toward the smoke pouring from the South Tower. That's where his remains were found after the towers fell. Mr. Paine and Glenn's brother Jay had been friends for years. They decided that turning 9/11 into a day of service was best way to memorialize Glenn.

"It completely reflects the way my brother lived his life, and it also specifically reflects how he died," says Mr. Winuk, myGoodDeed.org cofounder. "He laid his life on the line for other people that day."

"A lot of people don't know what to do on 9/11," says Paine. "This hits people in their heart and their soul. It connects with something that's fundamental."

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070910/ts_csm/adogood&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Wow-that's a great article DK. Thank you so much for posting it!!
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

That article gave me chills, thank you, DK.

I woke up this morning, feeling out-of-sorts and melancholy. I attributed it to either the sad memories of this date or the fact that I had an extra-early meeting with my daughter's teacher and principal. Anyway, after reading the article, I am inspired to do something nice. I had already planned on volunteering at our parish this morning, so maybe before I go I will drop off doughnuts to our Fire dept. and the front office at daughter's school.

:insert "Old Glory" icon here:

Anniegirl is offline Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
    Gave me chills as well and teary eyed.
    ~~~

'I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love' . Mother Teresa

Add me on Facebook: annie51467@yahoo.com

I still cry when I remember the horror I felt that day and for all those that were lost. Such a senseless act against humanity. But I also try to remember the 'good' that came out of this too. Those who risked their own lives to save others and ALL the heroes of that day and .........the heroes who were created because of that day.

No, I will NEVER FORGET September 11th.

God Bless America

fran

Thank you for posting that DK. I have been sad this morning thinking about the horror of 6 years ago and it is so nice to think of the positive things that came out of that. The way people helped one another and everyone had a flag out in front of their house. I will do a good deed today, maybe I will drop something by the fire and police stations. Thank you for the different perspective it was truly needed.

I'm glad so many were inspired to turn this day into something positive. I've also been thinking of ways to make this a positive day from now on. Do just the opposite of what the terrorists wanted. And yes, get back to the spirit that we had in the weeks following the attacks.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

That is such a great idea. My local radio station was asking if this has just become another day and people don't care anymore. A lot of people said they didn't even know it was 911. I called and said I most absolutely remembered and that a lot of us talked about it at work today and were remembering where we were when it happened. Over the weekend we watched United 93, the flight that went down in the field. My son who is 8 watched it with us. He was almost 3 when this happened but I made sure we watched and talked about what happened on this day in 2001.

Since the day of 9/11, we've constantly flown an American Flag at our home. I also have a license plate frame that says 'Never Forget.'

Today I saw something beautiful. It must have been 60 or more small children from a local school, looked like perhaps 2nd graders. They were accompanied by a number of moms, dads, and teachers walking on the sidewalk along the main road that leads through Dana Point and San Juan Capistrano by this particular school. All the children were wearing red/white/blue, and each child was carrying and waving a small American Flag.

Cars were honking at them and the children were waving their flags. It did bring tears to my eyes and yes, I honked to give them my approval.

Thanks for starting this thread, DK
    fran

Fran what a lovely story about the children. What a great idea that was to do that, it must have been a beautiful sight to see.

What a great article. I love what the guys at the "MyGoodDeed" website are doing.

What an interesting coincidence...I've been working on a missing persons video for YouTube, and I just happened to finish it last night and upload it. This will be my good deed for Sept. 11, 2007
    (If anyone is interested, the link to my YouTube channel is in my sig)