CHIP Program To Identify Missing Children

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Fingerprints, pictures and voice recordings are transferred onto to a CD along with the child's name and birth date. The program also takes the child's DNA and tooth sample in order to make a complete file on the individual.

CHIP coordinators say by giving this info to law enforcement, officials can quickly access the child's information and immediately identify who they're looking for.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=fe11cb44-5164-4d33-8033-6318c99dd9f1

How do they get a "tooth" sample? Baby teeth?

I'm guessing an actual gel or ceramic impression of the mouth (sounds expensive). I asked my dentist how they identify with dental records and she said they look for height of the roof in the mouth, etc. I guess they'd need a "set" although children's mouths change rapidly.

*Bump* I think people need to know this is available! I feel it is an excellent program.

I'm guessing an actual gel or ceramic impression of the mouth (sounds expensive). I asked my dentist how they identify with dental records and she said they look for height of the roof in the mouth, etc. I guess they'd need a "set" although children's mouths change rapidly.

My dentist took a mold of my teeth about 25 years ago and gave it to me to keep, saying it was just in case I ever need to identified. If I remember correctly, it was part of my checkup and cleaning, but it's probably different now since no other dentists have offered that service.

Hey! I actually posted about this on the, I believe, cold case threads a couple weeks back when we were talking about baby footprints. We have the MOchip program here in missouri (I am originally from OK, SeriouslySearching!). It is a good program. I had my kids done. When they come to my town, it is usually quite an event.

For the baby (I have a 14 month old) they did a DNA swabbing, but deferred doing a full dental on him because he is, of course, getting his teeth! He is getting new teeth all the time. My daughter did get a dental impression done. She's 6. If I remember, it was a lot like a bite card. I know dentists will do a FULL documentation during routine visits, and if you just ask them, many will also give you a copy to keep on hand for your own records if you wish.

http://www.mochip.org/

When we went, the kids were photographed, and a worker took emergency contact information and vital statistics. All that information goes on the CD. They do the dental impressions and DNA swab also, which you can put up for safe keeping. They of course fingerprint them too... that goes on the cd. They also give you cards to carry with the information as well. I think that is it. It is really nice. They don't keep the information on file, but instead give all the information to you for you to be responsible for incase your child goes missing.

That is great, Pedinurse! (Too bad you moved!!) I told my daughter about the program for my grands and they had already done it through their school! I was delighted to find that out.

I would prefer to keep that information instead of someone else. It is certainly TOO much information for anyone else to have except in cases of emergency. A safe deposit box would be the best place for it, IMO.

I will check out the mochip program, too. I wish more parents would take advantage of these programs instead of waiting until something happens then have to scramble to get things together and waste precious time. It is just such a good idea for so many reasons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back