Emmys will edit Kathy Griffin’s offensive speech

Dark Knight

Reaction score
** warning, offensive language **

Even though Kathy Griffin won her first Emmy over the weekend, she’ll still have something to talk about in her act. That’s because when the Creative Arts Emmys are broadcast Saturday on E!, her acceptance speech will be censored.

Upon winning this past Saturday, Kathy said, “Can you believe this *advertiser censored*? I guess hell froze over. … a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. So, all I can say is, ‘suck it, Jesus.’ This award is my god now.”

In its story, the Associated Press would not reprint the “suck it, Jesus” line, instead reporting that Kathy “went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ.” According to the AP, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement, “Kathy Griffin’s offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night.”

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/kathy_griffin/2007_Sep_11_emmy_remarks_censored

I can imagine the outrage if she chose Allah or someone other than Jesus to say something this ugly and hateful about. I'm glad it won't be broadcast, anyways. Unreal, just unreal.

I have no idea who Kathy Griffin is- that's a bit rough saying that about Jesus, like the 'suck it' bit...with so many Americans being Jesus lovers, she will be sure to have offended a ton of people.

Hahahahahaha! I heard her say it in her standup routine...but I didn't actually think she did it! I guess I was wrong! WTG, Kathy!!! I would have thought it funny! LOL

Oh, I guess she didn't give us the WHOLE story! I only heard her version if she lost...or maybe that was from last year!

Hmmmm...yes...she can be a bit controversial. However, I am not offended by her humor. I am more offended when people like B. S. thank God for their accomplishments! How sacreligious is that?!

Hahahahahaha! I heard her say it in her standup routine...but I didn't actually think she did it! I guess I was wrong! WTG, Kathy!!! I would have thought it funny! LOL

Oh, I guess she didn't give us the WHOLE story! I only heard her version if she lost...or maybe that was from last year!

Hmmmm...yes..she can be a bit controversial.

You find that funny???

Actually, I can find the humor in it. I am sorry you can't. God didn't make us to be so serious minded, imo. : )

Hey DK- if you hear a rumour I have converted to Christianity, it's not true!-

but even I think saying 'suck it Jesus' is a tad rude, people like her enjoy offending people and you'd do well to just ignore them.

Actually, I can find the humor in it. I am sorry you can't. God didn't make us to be so serious minded, imo. : )

Really, I can't see much humour in her saying that- I sorta kinda chuckled when she said "I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus"....but saying 'suck it Jesus' is maybe pushing it, I doubt he wants to suck anything she has to offer lol

Why some people tend to take it too far is beyond me. I'm getting tired of controversy ... it's so last year.

Hmmmm...yes...she can be a bit controversial. However, I am not offended by her humor. I am more offended when people like B. S. thank God for what they have accomplished!

LOL, i saw her "suck it" stand up routine too & loved it!....it's when she lost to that family makeover home show last year, lol....omg!!!there's a part where she acts like she's talking to her mother on the phone about going on a trip on a cruise boat that had me in stitches....LOADS of offensive stuff in it about catholic priests...she was raised catholic, but says she's a "fallen" catholic....

i just love her...she was on Ellen's show yesterday...it was good..she had her Emmy with her:)

Anyone watch her reality show?When she played on Suddenly Susan,I really didn't like her.But when she started doing her reality show I started understanding her more and more.Now I like her.I think that show was good for her (unlike the Scott Baio 40 and single one,he comes off like such a jerk to me)

One show she went to Iraq to give a show:)clap: ) Her and her husband were fine,he was doing her hair ect.Then I missed some shows and when I came back she was going on dates :waitasec: So what in the world happened with her and her husband?Anyone know?

The suck it part is the only part I don't care for.The rest of it I got a good chuckle :)

I'm a big, BIG fan of her's and I was even offended. I agree with her that too many people thank Jesus simply because they try and be humble, but my opinion is that if you don't want to thank God, then don't. But then just don't say anything about that subject. There's no need to be offensive.

I'm a big, BIG fan of her's and I was even offended. I agree with her that too many people thank Jesus simply because they try and be humble, but my opinion is that if you don't want to thank God, then don't. But then just don't say anything about that subject. There's no need to be offensive.

I have always thought she is funny too, BUT I agree that she doesn't need to be offensive.

But what if someone is sincere in thanking God? And how do you know whether or not they are? I mean if I won something (lottery please) I'd probably thank my folks first, but I'd likely thank God as well and mean it.

Okay, what's wrong with me here - I don't like her at all and her voice irritates the crap outta me - :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

i'm glad they removed it. if you have to go that low to get a laugh perhaps your talent is low as well. the world is full of prejudice and to join in it for the humor of others is beyond me. no group should be attacked in this way for a laugh. just because people of faith are a politically correct target does not make it right.

Okay, what's wrong with me here - I don't like her at all and her voice irritates the crap outta me - :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I dont even know her, and I dont like her already.:loser:

I dont even know her, and I dont like her already.:loser:

Shaz - go to the first post in this thread and click on the Kathy Won her first Emmy link, then on the second paragraph in there click on Kathy screamed obscenties and listen to her and tell me what you think.

This is the first I'm hearing of this; but I like Kathy Griffin and usually don't get offended by her. Most comedians are offensive in one way or another, it's the nature of their business. Seems the more offensive they are, the more popular. I guess some people can't see above that and I think that's ok. I just tend to be very open minded and don't take what comedians say to heart.

What's really funny is this Catholic Leauge is probably speaking out more on a comedians' off color comment "offending" them than they would about a priest or bishop who is going around molesting kids...

I can't believe that anyone would find a routine so direspectful to God/Jesus funny in ANY way. She is sickening. If you don't want to thank God, don't, but there's no need to be so awful about the Lord and offensive to Christians. If she'd said "suck it, Allah", she'd have the Muslims declaring a fatwah against her, but it's ok and even funny to some people to be rude and horrible about God. Just shows the state our world is in.

I thank God every day for many things (and I also pray for many things) and I don't even have to win anything to do so.

Kathy Griffin is disgusting. I'm praying for her and those people here who find her acceptable and funny.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back