1148 users online (168 members and 980 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MD - Karen Kamsch, 14, Pasadena, 1976

A three decade-old missing person case prompted Wednesday's daylong search by police and the FBI outside a Pasadena home, though no human remains have been positively identified, a source with knowledge of the investigation said yesterday.

Police were searching for the body of Karen Kamsch, a teenage girl who lived at the home on Wishing Rock Road with her grandmother and disappeared in the mid-1970s. According to a neighbor, she was presumed to be a runaway at the time.

Despite news media reports that a body or human remains had been located in a well on the property, authorities did not find anything conclusive, according to the source.

In a news release yesterday, the agency characterized the investigation as an "ongoing cold case homicide/missing person case," and declined to elaborate. A Web site listing county cold case homicides does not include any information about Kamsch and does not describe any cases in which a body has not been recovered.

Officials from the Anne Arundel County police and fire departments, along with an FBI evidence response team and Baltimore County canine unit, searched the property for more than 12 hours on Wednesday. A county-owned vehicle with a suction device was placed in a well next to the home, and a stretcher carrying what appeared to be supplies was taken away from the scene. The couple who now live at the home were identified as the aunt and uncle of Karen Kamsch. They declined to comment yesterday, saying police had instructed them not to speak while the investigation is continuing.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,3126453.story

Press Conference planned for 11:30 today

http://www.nbc4.com/news/14055763/detail.html

MILLERSVILLE, Md. -- Anne Arundel County police are talking to a person of interest in the case of a girl missing since 1976.

Lt. David Waltemeyer said police began investigating in May, when family filed a missing persons report on Karen Kamsch, who was living with her grandparents in 1976 when she disappeared.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Rle7 View Post
    ... A three decade-old missing person case prompted Wednesday's daylong search by police and the FBI outside a Pasadena home...
    This is a bit misleading. Actually this girl was only reported missing for the first time in May 2007 by a family member.

Other family members thought that Karen had been reported missing and entered into some system, but found out that this was not so.

so although she is now being reported as missing since 1976, it has only been under investigation for a few months now.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kamsch_karen.html

I wonder if Karen's grandmother really did report her missing in 1976 and the report was just lost sometime later. Most of the time police back then did not make a huge effort to find missing teenagers, and the original investigators would probably have retired or even died by now. I've heard of a lot of 1970s cases where large sections of the original missing persons report have been lost, so it stands to reason that in some cases maybe an entire casefile could have been thrown away.

Cold Case Files...

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kamsch_karen.html

I wonder if Karen's grandmother really did report her missing in 1976 and the report was just lost sometime later. Most of the time police back then did not make a huge effort to find missing teenagers, and the original investigators would probably have retired or even died by now. I've heard of a lot of 1970s cases where large sections of the original missing persons report have been lost, so it stands to reason that in some cases maybe an entire casefile could have been thrown away.
    Very true. I have sometimes spoken with investigators assigned to a cold case and even when there is an extensive file, they may not know that it exists or may not have had the time to get up to speed on it.

Cold Case investigation teams are a fairly new thing in most jurisdictions.

Wow, could she be part of the 1976 UID couple?
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. - Joe Walsh

MD-Karen Beth Kamsch, 14, Pasadena, 1976

New lead in case of missing Pasadena girl

By Justin Fenton
    Baltimore Sun
    September 05, 2007
    .hosted_meta_box {width:212px;}

Anne Arundel County police said they have a 'person of interest' in the disappearance of a Pasadena girl more than three decades ago and are turning to the public for more information.
    At a press conference today, Lt. David Waltemeyer said a 'close associate or family member' was being questioned about the mysterious disappearance of 14-year-old Karen Beth Kamsch in the winter of 1976. Family members long believed that the girl ran away but apparently never filed a missing-person report, police said.
    An investigation began only in May after Kamsch's brother, Tate, contacted police after a Web search produced no signs of an investigation, police said.
    'I just really want to know what happened to my sister,' Tate Kamsch, 44, of Ridgely, said today at a press conference. He said a family member 'more than likely' has lived with a secret for years, but would not speculate about who he believes is responsible.
    After conducting interviews with family, friends and schoolmates, detectives determined the girl's disappearance was suspicious and 'fear she was the victim of a homicide,' the news release said.
    On May 15 of this year, police formally filed a missing-person report.
    The investigation prompted a daylong search last week at a home on Wishing Rock Road, in which police removed five feet of debris from the bottom of a dug well. The debris is being tested for possible human remains.
    School officials apparently notified Olga Kamsch that her granddaughter had not come to school, and personal belongings such as a winter coat were still in her bedroom, police said. Though police were told Kamsch's grandmother, who died in 1999, and her father, George Norman Kamsch, called authorities and filed a missing-person report, no report could be located.
    George Kamsch, who police said is a Glen Burnie resident, could not be reached for comment.
    A birth certificate shows the girl was born Jan. 19, 1962, and police say school officials told them she attended Brooklyn Park Senior High School through at least June 1976.
    After obtaining a search warrant, officials from the Anne Arundel County police and fire departments, along with an FBI evidence response team and Baltimore County canine unit, searched the Kamsch property for more than 12 hours on Aug. 29.
    The couple who now lives at the home was identified as the aunt and uncle of Karen Kamsch. They have declined to comment, saying police instructed them not to speak while the investigation is continuing.
    Anyone with information is asked to call Anne Arundel County Police at 410-222-3415.
    justin.fenton@baltsun.com Copyright 2007 Baltimore Sun, All Rights Reserved
    Happy New Years

Delighted that if she is deceased this is now coming about. There seem to be a fair few cold cases getting another look at the moment which is fantastic.

Washington Times Article...

The Washington Times
    Friday, September 7, 2007
    Millersville (MD)

Police look at case of '76 missing girl

Anne Arundel County police are talking to a person of interest in the case of a girl missing since 1976.

Lt. David Waltemeyer said police began investigating in May when family filed a missing person report on Karen Kamsch, who was living with her grandparents when she disappeared.

Police said they have learned Miss Kamsch was abused and labeled her a missing person who could be a homicide victim.

Lt. Waltemeyer said that some of her family members were not cooperative and that police think someone close to her was involved in her disappearance.

Police said the family did not file a missing person report until this year because they thought one had been filed decades ago, but authorities did not have any record of a report.

More information...

The story below can be seen at the link, along with a photo of Karen Kamsch which has the following caption under it:

"Police believe Karen Kamsch was murdered 30 years ago. Her body was found behind her grandmother's home."

There is also a photo of the house at the link.

------------------------------------
    Police Release Information Into Cold Case
    5 September 2007
    By Suzanne Collins

(WJZ) PASADENA, Md. Anne Arundel County police announce a murder investigation Wednesday involving a teenager who disappeared more than three decades ago.

Suzanne Collins reports police are making a plea for the public's help in solving the case.

They are looking for memories from winter of 1976 when Karen Kamsch, who was 14 or 15-years-old disappeared.

Now new information leads them to believe its suspicious and she may have been murdered.

They also said her brother contacted police asking them to investigate her disappearance.

"Tate asked us to take a look into the investigation. He has not located his sister since 1976. Family members had always told him that she had been reported missing by her grandmother and her father, after she went missing one day," said Lt. David Waltemeyer.

On Wednesday police excavated a backyard well at the home where Karen Kamsch had been living with her grand mother over 30 years ago. Other relatives live there now.

A source says they didn't find human remains and now police want help from the public. They want someone who may have faded memories of the girl, who seemed to have disappeared with out a trace.

A neighbor remembers Karen Kamsch. "I only saw -- actually saw her a couple of times. I saw her one time talking to my son, they were about the same age, I think," said Beatrice Hasenei.

The teen moved in with her grandmother after having difficulty at home.
    One winter day in 1976 she was gone, but her coat and other belongings remained in the house.

There are questions, whether a missing persons report was actually filled back then. Police say they can't find one. Though they say it was alleged the father and grandmother did file one.

Police say they got a call in the spring raising questions about the old case and after interviews with family and friends they called the case suspicious.

"Police connected me to let me know if my sister was alright. So we could put an end to all of this." said Tate Kamsch, victim's brother.

Anne Arundel County schools say Karen Kamsch last attended Brooklyn Park High School in 1975-1976 school year.

Anyone with memories of her or who knows about her disappearance at the time are asked to call police.

The grandmother of Karen Kamsch died in 1999, and her father and mother could not be reached for comment on this story.

Source:
    WJZ.com news

LINK:

http://wjz.com/local/local_story_247181057.html

Teen Missing Since 1976 Believed To Be Slaying Victim

5 September 2007

PASADENA, Md. -- Anne Arundel County police detectives said they suspect the disappearance of a teenager more than 30 years ago was a homicide and have been talking to a person of interest in the case.

Police said Tuesday that the Aug. 29 search on Wishing Rock Road was linked to the disappearance of Karen Beth Kamsch, who was 14 at the time of her disappearance.

Four months ago, someone called police to report that Kamsch had been missing from her grandmother's home in Pasadena since the winter of 1976.

Police said that in 1976, Karen's grandmother, Olga Kamsch, looked for the teenager at home when she failed to show up for school. She found Karen's belongings, including her winter coat, but not Karen.

Police said they were told by Karen's brother, Tate Kamsch, that her father and her grandmother, who has since died, reported the disappearance to police, but detectives said they have not found any such report. Checks of computer systems have been unable to verify Karen Kamsch's existence since 1976.

Detectives said they interviewed friends, family and schoolmates last week and executed a search warrant at Karen's grandmother's former home.

"Through these interviews, information has developed that leads detectives to suspect that Karen's disappearance is suspicious in nature and fear she was the victim of a homicide," police said.

Police told WBAL TV 11 News that they believe Karen may have been abused, which could be a possible motive.

Lt. David Waltemeyer said it's odd that some family members aren't cooperative, and he said they believe someone close to her was involved in her disappearance.

According to 11 News reporter David Collins, Karen was a straight-A student in school and had even skipped the sixth-grade. However, Collins reported that Karen started hanging out with the wrong crowd in high school and was sent to live with her grandmother.

Police said on Wednesday that they have other locations to search, as well. They said the case is a very active investigation.

Source:
    WBAL TV 11 News

LINK:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14048244/detail.html

It sounds like they are moving in the right direction on this case. Hopefully, they will find out who is responsible for her disappearance and bring them to justice.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Another news link:

Girl, 14, Missing Since 1976 is Murder Victim

(First part same as above stories)

... Beatrice Hasenei has lived on Wishing Rock Road for more than 35 years. She told The Washington Post that the girl's grandmother once said to her: "'Karen is missing. We can't find her. She must have ran away,' or something to that effect.

And through the years, I would ask: 'Olga, did anyone hear from Karen?' And she said, 'No.'"Hasenei remembered Karen as "a very pretty girl."

"It's a mystery," she said. "I hope they find her find out what happened to her, one way or another."

Source:
    WTOP News

LINK:

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=1238918&nid=25

Yes, I would say the family knows much more than they are telling.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast