My Yahoo is hijacked!

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
My Yahoo page is not the official page. Yahoo has a red Y with a question mark for an icon.
So instead of the red icon, I have a black and white symbol that looks like a scrolled T with an s right underneath it, a symbol type thing.

I ran Norton, Spyware Doctor, Zone Alarm scans and nothing detected it. Zone Alarm is supposed to notify me of a homepage change, it did not. This thing is still listed as my homepage on IE. I am now using Foxfire because of it and I cannot access my favorites list. To me, Foxfire is a pain, but I am not going to use IE until I get opinions here. I need something free on the net to fix the problem.
Any suggestions?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Can't you change your homepage back to what you want? "Tools/Internet Options/General/ Type in exact homepage address"

I hate that when that happens. It's usually because I've installed something recently and forgot to UNCHECK something. Then sometimes it happens and I don't know why. And I have a firewall, AVG, Norton and ZoneAlarm along with AdAware! lol

Can't you change your homepage back to what you want? "Tools/Internet Options/General/ Type in exact homepage address"

I hate that when that happens. It's usually because I've installed something recently and forgot to UNCHECK something. Then sometimes it happens and I don't know why. And I have a firewall, AVG, Norton and ZoneAlarm along with AdAware! lol
To my very dearest Taximom,:blowkiss:
Yes I typed in the exact address and it still goes to the fraudulant Yahoo page. Even when I go to Google and type in the Yahoo page, it comes up.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Sounds like your browser has been hijacked.

Download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware. Spybot is free, you don't have to donate to download.

If that doesn't work you can download a program called Hijack This. You can join and post your hijack this log to this board

http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/

They are very helpful. They will usually ask what system and what you've run to try to get rid of this hijack.

You can then download a program called Spyware Blaster. It sits in the background and you never see it. It has a tiny footprint but blocks all known hijackers.

IE is prone to hijacks because it has ways for hackers and such to take advantage.

Oh, sorry, D_S. I hope you get this resolved soon. Make sure you don't input any private information until this gets fixed (banking, bill pay etc).

Okes folks..

First of all ( I noticed taximom's post) never use more than one anti virus program. They will conflict with each other in their fight to get to the virus first and as a result, all will be ineffective.

The best and toughest (and free) antivirus found on the internet is Avast.
The best Firewall is Comodo, which is also free.

What you need to do DS, is download both Avast and Comodo, register both and copy/paste the numbers you get via email into a word program and save them. Do not be on the internet when you uninstall what you currently have and install these too programs.

Install both and insert regi numbers. Then scan with Avast. If nothing pops up, go online and download A-Squared (another free one), which is a great program. Then download Hijack This and follow directions.

(You can import your favourites into Firefox too. Actually Firefox is the only browser that I use as it doesn't have the same vulnerabilities as IE (Bill Gates has a lot to answer for!)

Another program I use, which you do have to pay for is "Registry Booster".

Even after uninstalling particular programs, like Zone Alarm (perfect example!), they still reside in your registry. Zone Alarm in particular, not only resides, but continues connecting to the internet. Nortons is the same. As for Mc Afee, I won't even go there!! That programmer needs shooting.

Samiya

Samiya, use the various programs one at a time. Some programs do conflict with each other. I use Ad-Aware and McAfee myself at different times with no problems at all, they don't "quarrel". The basic Ad-Aware, by Lavasoft is free to download and update. Sounds to me like you've got some kind of browser hijacker D_S. Am I right, Yahoo is your home page? You'll need to clean the infection off, and it might take a professional to do it, depending, then go to your Internet options and put Yahoo back as your homepage. I think it might be wise, very wise, to unhook your computer from the net for now, (starve the virus by being off the net so it can't do any worse harm) and not put it back on until you've gotten rid of the virus/malware. (Yes, we've had infections like I describe.) Some of them play "hide and seek" in the registry, and when you think your virus scanner has eliminated it, a bit of it remains to connect to the net and download the rest of the virus again. Also, some programs are "stealth downloaders" and will invite other viruses and malware onto your computer. Our good friend is a networking teacher, and it is their wisdom I am imparting here. Depending on the virus, various places like McAfee and Symantec will offer downloadable removal tools that you can download on a virus free machine, copy/burn to disc/CD and use on the infected computer.

If you want a good, free program to uninstall anything I use Crap Cleaner. It will delete any program along with their registry entry.

No more having to hunt through config to delete the registry entry. It gets rid of lost file extensions, cookies, temp files and does a pretty quick job of it too.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back