1128 users online (228 members and 900 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smoker refused operation on broken ankle

A smoker is facing years of pain after an NHS hospital refused to set his broken ankle unless he gives up cigarettes.
    John Nuttall, 57, needs the operation to fix the ankle he broke in three places two years ago and which was not healed by a plaster cast.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nsmoker114.xml

Oh brother!!

Somking does affect the healing process b/c it deacreases circulation but millions of smokers have surgery all over the world with minimal problems. I am curious about his heath, like is he also diabetic and over weight? Is his poor circulation why he had trouble healing before? There has to be more to this that what he is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rino View Post
    A smoker is facing years of pain after an NHS hospital refused to set his broken ankle unless he gives up cigarettes.
    John Nuttall, 57, needs the operation to fix the ankle he broke in three places two years ago and which was not healed by a plaster cast.

Oh brother!!
    How can the hospital refuse treatment unless he quits smoking?

My hubby wrecked his 4 wheeler and broke his collarbone and fractured 2 vertebrae in his back. You really know you're in WV when the nurse comes in and says "You need a new spit cup honey" I about fell out of my chair! I smoke and I know she wouldn't have asked me if I needed an ashtray!

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
    Somking does affect the healing process b/c it deacreases circulation but millions of smokers have surgery all over the world with minimal problems. I am curious about his heath, like is he also diabetic and over weight? Is his poor circulation why he had trouble healing before? There has to be more to this that what he is saying.
    Even if it has an effect on the healing it is awful that they would not treat him for that reason - so what it heals slow?!?!

Why this made news I don't know. I'm sure it goes on everyday somewhere. If he only stopped smoking temporarily it would help!

Two good reasons to stop smoking before major surgery with anesthesia:
    EFFECT OF SMOKING
    Smoking does two things in terms of the cardiovascular system that anesthesiologists area concerned about. First, smoking increases the amount of carbon monoxide attached to hemoglobin in the blood. This has the effect of decreasing oxygen supply. Carbon monoxide also makes the heart pump more poorly, also decreasing the amount of oxygen that is delivered to the body. Second, nicotine increases the amount of oxygen that the body needs. So, oxygen supply is being compromised at the same time that more oxygen is being utilized.
    Smoking obviously also affects the lungs. Among other thigns, smoking causes an increase in the amount of mucus secreted while at the same time decreasing the ability of the lungs to clear these secretions. In addition, smoking causes the small airways in the lungs to be narrowed and more prone to collapse. The end result of these effects are an increased susceptibility to infection, chronic cough and increased chance of pulmonary complications. Lastly, smokers also have increased sensitivity to stimuli and increased bronchial reactivity, increasing the chance for bronchospasm and other life threatening pulmonary processes.
    This is not just theory. There have been multiple studies confirming that smoking increases the incidence of pulmonary complications after an anesthetic as much as six times. Smoking has been shown to be an independent risk factor for complications ranging from complications of lung function to wound healing to cardiovascular events such as heart attack.

http://www.anesthesiologyinfo.com/articles/12012003.php

Excellent post Taximom! It is good to have the facts.

Susan

I knew watching Dr 90210 would pay off someday.

A spokesman for the hospital trust said: "Smoking has a very big influence on the outcome of this type of surgery and the healing process would be hindered significantly."
    so how is the healing process working if the doctors dont do a damn thing???

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    so how is the healing process working if the doctors dont do a damn thing???
    That was my question - now all he will do more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rino View Post

Oh brother!!
    Maybe he won't face years of pain... might be that it's cut short because he dies early 'cause of the smoking.

Just put the cigarettes down, whiner... it's better for you all around anyway.

That's preposterous. I'd have no problem lying to the docs and saying - sure, I've quit.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

He's 57 yrs old. The break happened 2 years ago. I don't see how much more damage could be done by not operating immediately!

If I were the doctor I wouldn't want him dying on the table of something that was probably preventable. If I did operate I'd make him sign a legal document saying I wasn't responsible if he died from anything related to his smoking habit.

I think you can lie about not smoking, but if I recall they can do blood tests to see if that's true or not.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    The most of us would quit smoking if we could. And, the most of us have tried repeatedly to quit. I know it sounds easy, but it's not. But to be denied medical care over it is wrong. Just flat out wrong. It's just another jab at smokers, that's all it is.

Wait until the current fad gets done with smokers, and starts on those that are overweight. And it will. Being overweight causes complications in surgery and healing process too. The wrath that is placed on the head of a smoker right now will eventually expand it's reach.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    The most of us would quit smoking if we could. And, the most of us have tried repeatedly to quit. I know it sounds easy, but it's not. But to be denied medical care over it is wrong. Just flat out wrong. It's just another jab at smokers, that's all it is.

Wait until the current fad gets done with smokers, and starts on those that are overweight. And it will. Being overweight causes complications in surgery and healing process too. The wrath that is placed on the head of a smoker right now will eventually expand it's reach.
    it is not that far off my dear. http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53485

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    Thanks for the link, sherri, I hadn't seen it yet. (Those eating contests always gross me out.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast