Thread: UI bans corn-eating contest

UI bans corn-eating contest

The University of Iowa is taking a hard-line stance against a problem epidemic among Americans today:

Eating corn.

A corn-on-the-cob eating contest was to be part of UI’s annual “Beat State Week,” leading up to the Iowa-Iowa State football game.

UI canceled the contest (the corn-eating one, not the football one) because it would “encourage gluttony.”

“With the initiatives we have in terms of promoting health living, at least symbolically, we should not promote activities that would seem to encourage gluttony, particularly with the widespread problem of obesity today,” said Phillip Jones, the vice president for student services.

Jones requested the event, which along with all student events are run through his office, be dropped from the festivities leading up to Saturday’s game.
    http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...008/1053/RSS02

I think I've heard it all now.

Cheesecake, maybe. Hot dogs? Yeah.

Corn on the cob??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I think I've heard it all now.

Cheesecake, maybe. Hot dogs? Yeah.

Corn on the cob??? lol
    yeah i mean really it is corn! corn wont make them fat! it sorta passes right through you...

LOL yea corn is like nothing..It's not good for you or bad for you.

Maybe the real reason for canceling is because it made the football players who ate all that corn too constipated to play well last year.

Well I am from Indiana and I am offended!!!! Nothing like a good corn on the cob eating contest. Just good ol down home fun. I think to cancel this is silly. It's not like their eating cake or hot dogs it's corn, it doesn't even stay with you much less cause obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by meowy View Post
    Maybe the real reason for canceling is because it made the football players who ate all that corn too constipated to play well last year.
    Did that really happen?

Well, while they are at it they should ban all the junk food they'll sell at the game, right? Nachos, hot dogs, french fries, ice cream, soda pop....all much worse than corn on the cob!

Yeah, because keeping our kids from eating their vegetables with solve the obesity problem!

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

To help the victims of the deadly tornadoes, please click here.

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Technically, corn is a carbohydrate which turns into sugar in the body, but this is truly ridiculous.

I have to say though that the picture in my mind after the football team comment is not a very pretty one! !!!

Technically, corn is a carbohydrate which turns into sugar in the body, but this is truly ridiculous.

I have to say though that the picture in my mind after the football team comment is not a very pretty one! !!!
    um that is true only if you digest the corn. i'm pretty sure if you eat a few pounds of corn in 1 sitting you are not going to be digesting much of it... sorry for the ewww factor in this response.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    um that is true only if you digest the corn. i'm pretty sure if you eat a few pounds of corn in 1 sitting you are not going to be digesting much of it... sorry for the ewww factor in this response.

LOL, you are right about that! Now I have two yucky images going through my head!!!

I'm just trying to think of any plausible reason they truly had for dropping this event!

Still thinking....

LOL, you are right about that! Now I have two yucky images going through my head!!!

I'm just trying to think of any plausible reason they truly had for dropping this event!

Still thinking....
    i'm going with they are pin heads who took a pc idea too far. i really think they are idiots. have you ever seen a eating contest? they look so gross people would lose weight from loss of appetite after watching 1. trust me if they played tapes of that stuff in restaurants i would eat less!

Why are people so ridiculous?
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!