Gone Baby Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elphaba

Defying Gravity...
Reaction score
Gone Baby Gone is a movie that seems, from outward appearances, to mirror the McCann story... it is set for release, soon. Understand, it was shot before the McCann case. The little girl that plays "Amanda McCready", the missing child, is Madeline O'Brien... and she strikes an uncanny resemblance to Madeleine McCann. This image taken of O'Brien back in 2006 is reminiscent of Maddie's picture where she is wearing a blue footballer shirt:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/2022453/HH/2022453/iid_1375403.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=O%27Brien,%20Madeline

Other shots of the little actress also looks a lot like Maddie...

Ben Affleck is pulling the release date of the movie in the UK out of senstivity towards her parents... and there is some gossip that it may be held back on our side of the pond so as not to look like it is cashing in on the Maddie story. The gossip about it maybe being delayed over here, is just that: "gossip" that I got from a screenwriter pal... but still the movie is making a buzz and it all relates to the McCann case.

Your thoughts?

What a gorgeous little girl. She really does remind one of Madeleine!! And her real name is Madeline!!! That is freaky. And last name O'Brien, no less.

Wow...the parallels are scary.

I actually read somewhere today that Affleck was FORCED to delay the opening. I'll find the link.

I think this movie could have a detrimental effect on the McCann case, how can a trial go ahead if the McCanns are charged with Madelaines death, the movie will make it nigh impossible for a trial to happen as it will sway opinions and a fair trial will be impossible, the McCanns legal team will have a field day with this, Im thinking the judge would throw it out of court due to conflict of interest with the movie and all the media hype surrounding this case, just my opinion of course, but something to really think about.

OMG, she does look so much like Madeleine McCann, it's uncanny. Although, lots of preschoolers do look like that, even my own daughter at that age could have been a sister to those two.

Coincidence!

I am great believer in coincidences... and this movie is just... wow, the coincidences are high... :(

Coincidence maybe, but I don't have a lot of respect for the production company who is making it. Talk about bad timing.

Really?

I don't think that little girl looks that much like MM at all..same straight blondy coloured hair but that's about as far as the similiarites go for me.

I'm with you -- no resemblence other than blond hair!! Not getting that -- we believe what we want to believe I guess - seems to be lots of that going around.

I'm with you -- no resemblence other than blond hair!! Not getting that -- we believe what we want to believe I guess - seems to be lots of that going around.

There's absolutely no need to be snotty about whether or not this child resembles Madeleine and almost attack those of us who do see a similarity. Whether we believe in the McCanns' involvement or not has nothing to do with how we view the appearance of the two little girls...so, the fact that some of us think that this little girl looks like the real Madeleine does not warrant your rudeness in the LEAST. :rolleyes:

This movie is based on a book by my favorite author, Dennis Lehane, and was written many years ago. It was my favorite book in this author's series, which features these particular characters. Should be a great movie.

Lehane is also the author of Mystic River, of which the movie was based. That book was not part of the Gone Baby Gone series.

Jane

eeek.gif

nono.gif

Coincidence maybe, but I don't have a lot of respect for the production company who is making it. Talk about bad timing.

Why? A movie with a 10/19/07 release date that's based on a book was obviously in production ages before anyone ever heard of Madeline McCann. Children go missing all the time. At what point were they supposed to put the brakes on a multi-million dollar project? The first day she went missing? The first month?

Now that it's become an ongoing international story, they've decided to hold the opening. Personally I think that's more than considerate. A lot of people have their livelihood riding on these types of investments, and you don't get it back just because a little girl in Portugal disappeared.

It's bad luck for them that some audiences would hold it against them. I feel for anyone who was getting paid even partially on a percentage of the box office, b/c there might not ever be one. There might be actors who were counting on this to be their big break. Investors will lose everything they put into the project.

But I certainly can't hold it against them that they didn't have a crystal ball to predict this.

Yes, I do agree that it seems really bad luck that the picture, not based on the McCann story, was ready to come out at this time. I admire Ben Affleck for holding off on its release.

I just realized something: come the new Law & Order franchise season, you know there is a high possiblity that the McCann backstory will be used to craft out an episode. As their production guote points out: their stories are ripped from the headlines... they have been doing it going on 17 or 18 years. They did an ANS-ish episode mere months after ANS's death... they have even done a Natalee Holloway-ish episode.

The storyline from the Affleck movie is pure coincidence... but the issue over when to release it so as not to look insenstive and such, is taking a toll on when Affleck can get his work out there. I really can see a double stanards issue coming into play... because I can bet you if L&O does do a McCannish story, not many people will blink a critical eye at it, there will be no qualms about releasing the episode or not, and it would probably go on to pull down good ratings as it has always done in the past when tackling sensitive ongoing cases.

Not much of a delay....opens October 19th...

Just saw an ad on local Denver TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member