1169 users online (162 members and 1007 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    929

    Portugal - Casa Pia Orphanage, child sex ring scandal, 2002

    Can anyone elaborate more info on this? someone sent me just a blurb to show me that Portugal Law enforcement is dirty etc.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/stor...356110,00.html

    I know this doesn't reflect on LE as a whole there BUT...is this anywhere near where MM went missing?

  2. #2
    KOOL LOOK's Avatar
    KOOL LOOK is offline ~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Posts
    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxieJada View Post
    Can anyone elaborate more info on this? someone sent me just a blurb to show me that Portugal Law enforcement is dirty etc.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/stor...356110,00.html

    I know this doesn't reflect on LE as a whole there BUT...is this anywhere near where MM went missing?

    I'm scared to even open this link up. I didn't, gonna let others read and comment. Some countries, appear to be even third worlds when it comes to things like orphanages. It's a very tender side of me about these kind of issues. Our children, are we doing what we should in protecting them to the best of our ability? So they can grow up and be their hearts desires?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxieJada View Post
    Can anyone elaborate more info on this? someone sent me just a blurb to show me that Portugal Law enforcement is dirty etc.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/stor...356110,00.html

    I know this doesn't reflect on LE as a whole there BUT...is this anywhere near where MM went missing?
    Did you read that JinxieJada???

    ~cut from article~

    The Casa Pia affair, which has shaken the very foundations of the Portuguese state, finally goes to trial on Thursday. Former presidents have been accused of turning a blind eye to complaints about systematic abuse over more than a decade, while prosecutors have denied that President Jorge Sampaio was under investigation.

    A former minister and spokesman for the opposition Socialist party, Paulo Pedroso, was one of those arrested, though he was later freed without charges after spending four and a half months on remand.

    Carlos Cruz, 63, Portugal's most famous media personality, will be the star defendant, facing five charges of sexually abusing minors and one of homosexual intercourse with an adolescent.

    ~snip~

    Also on trial are a prominent lawyer, a former ambassador, a marine archaeologist and a former senior administrator in Casa Pia.

    Portuguese Law Enforcement???

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    929
    Colomom -


    yes I did read it...and while the article didn't really show me anything about law enforcement this did stick out to me


    "In the intervening 20 years the original complaints lodged with the police seem to have been shelved or gone missing."



    I'm trying to look up more info...and as I stated prior..I was more trying to find out if it would be the same dept that was involved where the reports went missing..as was doing the MM investigation.

    I may be looking at it wrong..I didn't really understand the "connection" for lack of a better word..but it's one of those friendly debates (i have my thoughts about their involvement while the other person involved thinks they are innocent and being 'framed')

    hope that helps to explain more of why I asked for other's opinions. LOL!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxieJada View Post
    Colomom -


    yes I did read it...and while the article didn't really show me anything about law enforcement this did stick out to me


    "In the intervening 20 years the original complaints lodged with the police seem to have been shelved or gone missing."



    I'm trying to look up more info...and as I stated prior..I was more trying to find out if it would be the same dept that was involved where the reports went missing..as was doing the MM investigation.

    I may be looking at it wrong..I didn't really understand the "connection" for lack of a better word..but it's one of those friendly debates (i have my thoughts about their involvement while the other person involved thinks they are innocent and being 'framed')

    hope that helps to explain more of why I asked for other's opinions. LOL!
    Gotcha JinxieJada....

    Hope I didn't come across as rude...not my intention, I promise.

    I did read about this case also. It is absolutely amazing how much I have learned since June. I too, will do some more research and see what I can find out about the lack of action on LEs part. I agree, it is important to gauge the effectiveness of LE in that area! I will add to this thread soon.

    ~cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    929
    Nope not rude at all- I posted it in a rush..so I know I wasn't clear in my search for other's opinions and more info. I did find this which did show more of LE's involvement..(It may operate differently there, but here the Prosecutor's office is w/i the LE buildings)


    *NOTE* I do NOT know the accuracy of this website..but the info that reads there is very similar to other sites that I skimmed on the same..so if anyone knows please post!**

    http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?f...ticleId=163389

    Portuguese public opinion has been shaken by allegations that police and senior authorities allowed powerful clients to abuse the boys sexually and prostitute them, and did nothing to stop them for 30 years.

    Teresa Costa Macedo, who was responsible for children's homes in the early 1980s, said state television filmed six boys, who told Eanes about the abuse at Casa Pia, but the footage was never broadcast.
    Costa Macedo said she sent reports containing testimonies and photographs to the police 20 years ago, but they did nothing. Police first denied her reports existed, but then produced them. Costa Macedo said she received anonymous threats to stop her pursuing the case.


    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/ju...port-j18.shtml

    The Portuguese Attorney General’s Office has since confirmed it began investigations into the Ritto affair in 1982, but abandoned them in 1987 for lack of evidence. Files relating to the case were destroyed in 1993.


    However, a spokeswoman from Portugal’s Innocence in Danger charity said the organisation had been warning about child abuse for years in Portugal but there had been a virtual “media blackout”.


    and probably the saddest thing of all...is majority of those victimized were deaf and/or mute.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,593
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxieJada View Post
    Can anyone elaborate more info on this? someone sent me just a blurb to show me that Portugal Law enforcement is dirty etc.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/stor...356110,00.html

    I know this doesn't reflect on LE as a whole there BUT...is this anywhere near where MM went missing?
    Shocking! Thanks for posting that article. I hadn't given much credibility to the accusations against a Port LE investigator that's working on this case that is alleged to have beat a confession from a mother convicted of her childs death. Then I see a media report yesterday on ctv where another officer who has retired recently and is being accused in that case as well is also the source Portugal media has been using for the McCann case. Now this, it does give you something to think about.

  8. #8
    april4sky's Avatar
    april4sky is offline It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by strach304 View Post
    Shocking! Thanks for posting that article. I hadn't given much credibility to the accusations against a Port LE investigator that's working on this case that is alleged to have beat a confession from a mother convicted of her childs death. Then I see a media report yesterday on ctv where another officer who has retired recently and is being accused in that case as well is also the source Portugal media has been using for the McCann case. Now this, it does give you something to think about.
    It certainly make you wonder!!!

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770



    Goncalo Amaral is one of five officers accused over the beating of Leonor Cipriano

  9. #9
    april4sky's Avatar
    april4sky is offline It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxieJada View Post
    Nope not rude at all- I posted it in a rush..so I know I wasn't clear in my search for other's opinions and more info. I did find this which did show more of LE's involvement..(It may operate differently there, but here the Prosecutor's office is w/i the LE buildings)


    *NOTE* I do NOT know the accuracy of this website..but the info that reads there is very similar to other sites that I skimmed on the same..so if anyone knows please post!**

    http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?f...ticleId=163389

    Portuguese public opinion has been shaken by allegations that police and senior authorities allowed powerful clients to abuse the boys sexually and prostitute them, and did nothing to stop them for 30 years.

    Teresa Costa Macedo, who was responsible for children's homes in the early 1980s, said state television filmed six boys, who told Eanes about the abuse at Casa Pia, but the footage was never broadcast.
    Costa Macedo said she sent reports containing testimonies and photographs to the police 20 years ago, but they did nothing. Police first denied her reports existed, but then produced them. Costa Macedo said she received anonymous threats to stop her pursuing the case.


    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/ju...port-j18.shtml

    The Portuguese Attorney General’s Office has since confirmed it began investigations into the Ritto affair in 1982, but abandoned them in 1987 for lack of evidence. Files relating to the case were destroyed in 1993.


    However, a spokeswoman from Portugal’s Innocence in Danger charity said the organisation had been warning about child abuse for years in Portugal but there had been a virtual “media blackout”.


    and probably the saddest thing of all...is majority of those victimized were deaf and/or mute.
    Sadly I think in most country's past there has been evidence of this sort of evil.
    The powers that be turned a blind eye to it. They allowed it to go on as some of them were involved themselves. And those that weren't didn't want to rock the boat.

    It sounds as though Portugal is behind the times and needs to clean up its act.
    Starting with their secrecy laws which enable them to hide anything.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,593
    April, I read where the secrecy law has been changed there and is set to affect on Monday.


  11. #11
    april4sky's Avatar
    april4sky is offline It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by strach304 View Post
    April, I read where the secrecy law has been changed there and is set to affect on Monday.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nmaddy116.xml

    Hi strach304.

    I was glad to read about this new law too...but near the bottom of the article it says the police intend to appeal it.

    This new law is badly needed IMO.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,646
    I think the secrecy law is good if it prevents "trial by media", but it certainly isn't doing anything positive for the McCann case.

    On the other hand, I really wonder where the search for the truth about Maddie would be today if Portugal operated more like the US where LE and the accused are allowed to release their "sides" in an investigation. I think more openness would allow people who think they know something to come forward.

  13. #13
    april4sky's Avatar
    april4sky is offline It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    I think the secrecy law is good if it prevents "trial by media", but it certainly isn't doing anything positive for the McCann case.

    On the other hand, I really wonder where the search for the truth about Maddie would be today if Portugal operated more like the US where LE and the accused are allowed to release their "sides" in an investigation. I think more openness would allow people who think they know something to come forward.

    Calikid we have had a trial by media.
    The McCanns are being hung drawn and quartered orchestrated by leaks from the PLE.

    They have deliberately abused their own secrecy laws.

    I think the reason that Portugal is about to change this law is because it is now part of the European Union. They will have to bring their laws into line with that Union.

    It's also why the previous case of the mother of the other missing child is probably being looked at again.
    A suspected misscarriage of justice caused by abuse of her by the PLE.
    She can now have her case looked at closely by the European court of human rights.

    That secrecy law needs to go IMO. It certainly doesn't protect anyone but the PLE if they are able to abuse it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,646
    Hi, April

    Please don't ask me to supply a link because I can't- this was brought up by a WS poster who lives in a country within the EU, and I read it here last week (I think). But she said that most of the other countries in the EU have the same kind of secrecy laws. I also think she said that the UK is the only country that doesn't.

  15. #15
    april4sky's Avatar
    april4sky is offline It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    Hi, April

    Please don't ask me to supply a link because I can't- this was brought up by a WS poster who lives in a country within the EU, and I read it here last week (I think). But she said that most of the other countries in the EU have the same kind of secrecy laws. I also think she said that the UK is the only country that doesn't.
    I'm not sure either. So I can't provide a link.
    I assumed the change in Portguese secrecy laws was due to them joining the EU.
    I know the UK has had to make many changes about lots of different things to fall in the UE. It sounds crazy but even the naming of certain foods and wines.
    I think Champagne can only be called Champagne if it comes from Champagne France. I think it has to be called sparkling wine now if it doesn't come from there. Which is a bit of a bummer!!! It doesn't sound nearly as "posh"
    My husband has just told me of some more.
    Scotch whisky, Parma ham and Fetta cheese can only be called by these names if they come from the original places.

    Back to the secrecy laws.
    I don't think they protect a suspects rights if they can be so easily abused.
    People in power have always abused that power when they haven't had to show accountabilty.
    It will be interesting to see if the secrecy law is removed for all cases...I do hope so.
    Last edited by april4sky; 09-17-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added word

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Portugal - Serial child sex attacker
    By zwiebel in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 10:35 PM
  2. Indian Child Welfare Scandal Unfolds in South Dakota
    By Jacie Estes in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
  3. Jerry Sandusky Was Part Of Child Porn Ring, Greg Bucceroni, Former 'Child Prostitute
    By Steely Dan in forum Jerry Sandusky-Cover Up at Penn State
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
  4. FL - Operation Child Shield...Child Porn ring busted
    By lisalei321 in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Tags for this Thread