999 users online (178 members and 821 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Got Crocs? Be careful on the escalator

WASHINGTON - At rail stations and shopping malls around the world, reports are popping up of people, particularly young children, getting their toes caught in escalators. The one common theme seems to be the clunky soft-soled clogs known by the name of the most popular brand, Crocs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070917/...alator_dangers

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I can understand that...I trip over my own feet just walking in my crocs!!

Kazuo Motoya of Japan's National Institute of Technology and Evaluation said children may have more escalator accidents in part because they "bounce around when they stand on escalators, instead of watching where they place their feet."

This is starting to turn into a pet peeve of mine. If people paid attention to what their children were doing, a lot of accidents would be prevented. There are just certain places where you pay more attention to the kids and an escalator is one. The amount of kids I see on there or on the moving sidewalks (not as bad) with their shoelaces not properly tied is amazing. Don't people know shoelaces can get caught, too? Where's the common sense?
    Even now I occasionally remind our DD to place her feet in the middle of the step, and keep her hands loosely on top of the whatchamacallit, the word escaped me (where you hold on to), instead of grabbing onto it and wrapping her fingers around it (as fingers can get caught too). Just a quick, friendly 'alright, pay attention honey' before we get on the escalator is enough for her now tho. But she was taught this from a very young age.

Never mind me and my 'rants' (although I think I kept this one very civil ).... I just get so tired of everything and their brother being blamed for every accident that happens, instead of people owning up to things.

*steps off soapbox*

I also wonder why kids are allowed to walk in them darn things day in day out. A girls in DD's class even wore them in the winter. That can't be good for your feet and back! Needless to say we don't own a pair of them... I don't like them at all.

Darnit, I'm starting to sound more like my mom each day....

lol yes you kept it very civil & i'm with ya on people need to start taking care of their kids and paying more attention to them instead of trying to find someone to blame..of course kids will be kids but that is what mommy and daddy are here for!! I don't own crocs either but everyone tells me they are the most comfortable shoe they have ever had. I am more of a ballerina flat type of girl so crocs on me would feel and look HUGE lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post
    Kazuo Motoya of Japan's National Institute of Technology and Evaluation said children may have more escalator accidents in part because they "bounce around when they stand on escalators, instead of watching where they place their feet."

This is starting to turn into a pet peeve of mine. If people paid attention to what their children were doing, a lot of accidents would be prevented. There are just certain places where you pay more attention to the kids and an escalator is one. The amount of kids I see on there or on the moving sidewalks (not as bad) with their shoelaces not properly tied is amazing. Don't people know shoelaces can get caught, too? Where's the common sense?
    Even now I occasionally remind our DD to place her feet in the middle of the step, and keep her hands loosely on top of the whatchamacallit, the word escaped me (where you hold on to), instead of grabbing onto it and wrapping her fingers around it (as fingers can get caught too). Just a quick, friendly 'alright, pay attention honey' before we get on the escalator is enough for her now tho. But she was taught this from a very young age.

Never mind me and my 'rants' (although I think I kept this one very civil ).... I just get so tired of everything and their brother being blamed for every accident that happens, instead of people owning up to things.

*steps off soapbox*

I also wonder why kids are allowed to walk in them darn things day in day out. A girls in DD's class even wore them in the winter. That can't be good for your feet and back! Needless to say we don't own a pair of them... I don't like them at all.

I have croc flip flops...well I did .. before th boys stole them!!

LOL, this reminds me of the movie Mall Rats where Brody went on a rant about how "that kid is on the escalator again!"

Man, there's not a year goes by...
    That I don't read about some escalator accident involving some
    bastard kid...
    That could've been easily avoided had some parent-- I don't care
    which one--
    But some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator!

Man, there's not a year goes by...
    That I don't read about some escalator accident involving some
    bastard kid...
    That could've been easily avoided had some parent-- I don't care
    which one--
    But some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator!
    Thanks Paladin!

I used to be sort of afraid of escalators when I was a kid. I had a dream that I didn't step off in time and it got my feet and sucked me through, basically turning me into human spaghetti. Needless to say, I held on to mom's hand TIGHT everytime.

About 10 years ago I was at the mall with my mom and she found a little girl at the escalator balling her eyes out. Her mom was at the bottom trying to coax her into coming down but this child was terrified beyond all belief.

This girl broke my mom's heart. She got down on one knee and calmed her down and held her hand all the way down the escalator. The mom was grateful, and I loved my mom so much for her compassion at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post

*steps off soapbox*

Wow, JanetElaine, someone else who gets on the soapbox!!!
    I was taught from an early age to be careful on escalators by my mom. She was always nearby. Of course we never left our shoelaces untied back then either. I also made sure my boys knew how to get on and off escalators. They were never allowed to play on them. In fact I was taught how to behave in a store or mall, just as I taught my sons.

As to the Crocs, I have two pair. I do have cute little Croc socks to wear in the winter. I haven't worn mine as much lately. When the BarnGod had his hip replacement due to an accident, I went down to the hospital gift shop and bought him a pair as the rehab department said he needed something he could slip into to use for therapy. They recommended the Crocs as he wouldn't slip on the floor while walking. We have terrible stickers and goatheads out here on the farm now and he has a tendency to track them in the house. I dug out his Crocs and told him to start wearing them in the house instead of complaining that I wasn't vaccuuming them up fast enough to keep his bare feet safe, LOL

I like my Crocs, but I'm horrified when I see little kids wearing them. I mean tiny toddlers who have just begun to walk. My mother always made me wear solid shoes that were fitted properly at the store. I wore oxfords and good dress shoes. I must thank her now, because at 63, I have really good feet. No hammer toes, bunions or anything else wrong. We really need to pay attention what we put on these very young kids. It may affect their feet, legs and back in later life.

We actually know the fella that invented the Croc shoes, and they were created specifically for support for feet. They are GOOD for your feet.......that's why so many nurses and healthcare folks wear them. Go in almost any hospital gift shop or store that sells scrubs.....they sell Crocs. Only in the last few years have they become "fashionable".....but originally, they were created because they are good for feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesleegp View Post
    We actually know the fella that invented the Croc shoes, and they were created specifically for support for feet. They are GOOD for your feet.......that's why so many nurses and healthcare folks wear them. Go in almost any hospital gift shop or store that sells scrubs.....they sell Crocs. Only in the last few years have they become "fashionable".....but originally, they were created because they are good for feet.
    You're right. The BarnGod's PT recommended I get those instead of slippers. Almost all the staff at the hospital were wearing them, doctors included. I just question babies learning to walk wearing them. The rest of their feet need support, just not the bottoms of them. I've seen them trip a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnGoddess View Post
    You're right. The BarnGod's PT recommended I get those instead of slippers. Almost all the staff at the hospital were wearing them, doctors included. I just question babies learning to walk wearing them. The rest of their feet need support, just not the bottoms of them. I've seen them trip a bit.
    I don't disagree at all. A good pair of Stride-Rites at that age are much better!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesleegp View Post
    That's good to know. People have been telling me that they're very comfortable etc. but I have never tried them on (I think they're ugly LOL). So I didn't really know, it's just what I thought. It's always nice to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Barngoddess
    I like my Crocs, but I'm horrified when I see little kids wearing them. I mean tiny toddlers who have just begun to walk. My mother always made me wear solid shoes that were fitted properly at the store. I wore oxfords and good dress shoes. I must thank her now, because at 63, I have really good feet. No hammer toes, bunions or anything else wrong. We really need to pay attention what we put on these very young kids. It may affect their feet, legs and back in later life.
    I was going to add something similar to my post, but it was long enough already, plus I didn't want to sound even more like my mom LOL. That's how I was raised too, and so is our DD. Feet are important!

I do not like the croc clogs, but have several pairs of the flip-flops and LOVE them. Probably love them a bit too much!!! My girls each have a pair of the clogs and oldest has a pair of flip flops and Mary Janes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast