Got Crocs? Be careful on the escalator

I can understand that...I trip over my own feet just walking in my crocs!!

Kazuo Motoya of Japan's National Institute of Technology and Evaluation said children may have more escalator accidents in part because they "bounce around when they stand on escalators, instead of watching where they place their feet."

This is starting to turn into a pet peeve of mine. If people paid attention to what their children were doing, a lot of accidents would be prevented. There are just certain places where you pay more attention to the kids and an escalator is one. The amount of kids I see on there or on the moving sidewalks (not as bad) with their shoelaces not properly tied is amazing. Don't people know shoelaces can get caught, too? Where's the common sense?
Even now I occasionally remind our DD to place her feet in the middle of the step, and keep her hands loosely on top of the whatchamacallit, the word escaped me (where you hold on to), instead of grabbing onto it and wrapping her fingers around it (as fingers can get caught too). Just a quick, friendly 'alright, pay attention honey' before we get on the escalator is enough for her now tho. But she was taught this from a very young age.

Never mind me and my 'rants' (although I think I kept this one very civil ;)).... I just get so tired of everything and their brother being blamed for every accident that happens, instead of people owning up to things.

*steps off soapbox*

I also wonder why kids are allowed to walk in them darn things day in day out. A girls in DD's class even wore them in the winter. That can't be good for your feet and back! Needless to say we don't own a pair of them... I don't like them at all.

Darnit, I'm starting to sound more like my mom each day.... :eek:

lol yes you kept it very civil & i'm with ya on people need to start taking care of their kids and paying more attention to them instead of trying to find someone to blame..of course kids will be kids but that is what mommy and daddy are here for!! I don't own crocs either but everyone tells me they are the most comfortable shoe they have ever had. I am more of a ballerina flat type of girl so crocs on me would feel and look HUGE lol.

Kazuo Motoya of Japan's National Institute of Technology and Evaluation said children may have more escalator accidents in part because they "bounce around when they stand on escalators, instead of watching where they place their feet."

This is starting to turn into a pet peeve of mine. If people paid attention to what their children were doing, a lot of accidents would be prevented. There are just certain places where you pay more attention to the kids and an escalator is one. The amount of kids I see on there or on the moving sidewalks (not as bad) with their shoelaces not properly tied is amazing. Don't people know shoelaces can get caught, too? Where's the common sense?
Even now I occasionally remind our DD to place her feet in the middle of the step, and keep her hands loosely on top of the whatchamacallit, the word escaped me (where you hold on to), instead of grabbing onto it and wrapping her fingers around it (as fingers can get caught too). Just a quick, friendly 'alright, pay attention honey' before we get on the escalator is enough for her now tho. But she was taught this from a very young age.

Never mind me and my 'rants' (although I think I kept this one very civil ;)).... I just get so tired of everything and their brother being blamed for every accident that happens, instead of people owning up to things.

*steps off soapbox*

I also wonder why kids are allowed to walk in them darn things day in day out. A girls in DD's class even wore them in the winter. That can't be good for your feet and back! Needless to say we don't own a pair of them... I don't like them at all.

I have croc flip flops...well I did .. before th boys stole them!!

LOL, this reminds me of the movie Mall Rats where Brody went on a rant about how "that kid is on the escalator again!"

Man, there's not a year goes by...
That I don't read about some escalator accident involving some
*advertiser censored* kid...
That could've been easily avoided had some parent-- I don't care
which one--
But some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Man, there's not a year goes by...
That I don't read about some escalator accident involving some
*advertiser censored* kid...
That could've been easily avoided had some parent-- I don't care
which one--
But some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator!

Thanks Paladin!

I used to be sort of afraid of escalators when I was a kid. I had a dream that I didn't step off in time and it got my feet and sucked me through, basically turning me into human spaghetti. Needless to say, I held on to mom's hand TIGHT everytime.

About 10 years ago I was at the mall with my mom and she found a little girl at the escalator balling her eyes out. Her mom was at the bottom trying to coax her into coming down but this child was terrified beyond all belief.

This girl broke my mom's heart. She got down on one knee and calmed her down and held her hand all the way down the escalator. The mom was grateful, and I loved my mom so much for her compassion at that moment.

*steps off soapbox*

Wow, JanetElaine, someone else who gets on the soapbox!!!;)
I was taught from an early age to be careful on escalators by my mom. She was always nearby. Of course we never left our shoelaces untied back then either. I also made sure my boys knew how to get on and off escalators. They were never allowed to play on them. In fact I was taught how to behave in a store or mall, just as I taught my sons.

As to the Crocs, I have two pair. I do have cute little Croc socks to wear in the winter. I haven't worn mine as much lately. When the BarnGod had his hip replacement due to an accident, I went down to the hospital gift shop and bought him a pair as the rehab department said he needed something he could slip into to use for therapy. They recommended the Crocs as he wouldn't slip on the floor while walking. We have terrible stickers and goatheads out here on the farm now and he has a tendency to track them in the house. I dug out his Crocs and told him to start wearing them in the house instead of complaining that I wasn't vaccuuming them up fast enough to keep his bare feet safe, LOL:rolleyes:

I like my Crocs, but I'm horrified when I see little kids wearing them. I mean tiny toddlers who have just begun to walk. My mother always made me wear solid shoes that were fitted properly at the store. I wore oxfords and good dress shoes. I must thank her now, because at 63, I have really good feet. No hammer toes, bunions or anything else wrong. We really need to pay attention what we put on these very young kids. It may affect their feet, legs and back in later life.

We actually know the fella that invented the Croc shoes, and they were created specifically for support for feet. They are GOOD for your feet.......that's why so many nurses and healthcare folks wear them. Go in almost any hospital gift shop or store that sells scrubs.....they sell Crocs. Only in the last few years have they become "fashionable".....but originally, they were created because they are good for feet.

We actually know the fella that invented the Croc shoes, and they were created specifically for support for feet. They are GOOD for your feet.......that's why so many nurses and healthcare folks wear them. Go in almost any hospital gift shop or store that sells scrubs.....they sell Crocs. Only in the last few years have they become "fashionable".....but originally, they were created because they are good for feet.
You're right. The BarnGod's PT recommended I get those instead of slippers. Almost all the staff at the hospital were wearing them, doctors included. I just question babies learning to walk wearing them. The rest of their feet need support, just not the bottoms of them. I've seen them trip a bit.

You're right. The BarnGod's PT recommended I get those instead of slippers. Almost all the staff at the hospital were wearing them, doctors included. I just question babies learning to walk wearing them. The rest of their feet need support, just not the bottoms of them. I've seen them trip a bit.

I don't disagree at all. A good pair of Stride-Rites at that age are much better!

That's good to know. People have been telling me that they're very comfortable etc. but I have never tried them on (I think they're ugly LOL). So I didn't really know, it's just what I thought. It's always nice to learn something new. :)

Barngoddess said:
I like my Crocs, but I'm horrified when I see little kids wearing them. I mean tiny toddlers who have just begun to walk. My mother always made me wear solid shoes that were fitted properly at the store. I wore oxfords and good dress shoes. I must thank her now, because at 63, I have really good feet. No hammer toes, bunions or anything else wrong. We really need to pay attention what we put on these very young kids. It may affect their feet, legs and back in later life.

I was going to add something similar to my post, but it was long enough already, plus I didn't want to sound even more like my mom LOL. That's how I was raised too, and so is our DD. Feet are important!

I do not like the croc clogs, but have several pairs of the flip-flops and LOVE them. Probably love them a bit too much!!! My girls each have a pair of the clogs and oldest has a pair of flip flops and Mary Janes.

I did go to the website a while ago and looked at all the different styles, and there were some not so bad looking on there. But around here it's like all you can buy is the clogs! And then also in it's many fake variations. I haven't seen an actual Croc in the store so that I could feel the material. Plenty of fake brands though, and they all feel very plasticky and not as flexible as Crocs supposedly are. I guess that after growing up in leather and that, I just feel weird about putting a (cheap thus bad in my conditioned mind ;)) mixture of plastic and rubber on my feet! (No, I don't wear flip flops either LOL).

I have had 2 pair of crocs. I thought they were so dorky at first , but now I love em. I only buy them in black though. I am not daring enough to get all the funky colors.

I do have a word of caution though. I wore my crocs so much, that the rough grooves on the bottom of the shoe that maintain traction wore down to almost a completely flat surface. I was not aware of it and while walking into Target on a rainy day I fell flat on my arse. Not equating the fall with my shoes, I proceeded onto the the next store (with two teens dying of laughter at my expense). Again, I slipped and fell on my arse in the entry way of the store. This time we all laughed so hard we had to exit the store and return to the car where the three of us laughed until we cried. We decided we couldn't handle the comedy anymore and my arse was a little sore...so we headed home. After getting out of the car, I again slid on the wet driveway. It finally occured to me to look at the bottoms of my shoes and it is then I discovered the surface had been worn down and caused me to make a fool out of myself 3 times. I am glad that I only suffered embarassment. I could have been hurt a lot worse.

:laugh:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: oh my gosh I am sooooo sorry I know you could of been hurt..but whooooa that cracked me up!

I have had 2 pair of crocs. I thought they were so dorky at first , but now I love em. I only buy them in black though. I am not daring enough to get all the funky colors.

I do have a word of caution though. I wore my crocs so much, that the rough grooves on the bottom of the shoe that maintain traction wore down to almost a completely flat surface. I was not aware of it and while walking into Target on a rainy day I fell flat on my arse. Not equating the fall with my shoes, I proceeded onto the the next store (with two teens dying of laughter at my expense). Again, I slipped and fell on my arse in the entry way of the store. This time we all laughed so hard we had to exit the store and return to the car where the three of us laughed until we cried. We decided we couldn't handle the comedy anymore and my arse was a little sore...so we headed home. After getting out of the car, I again slid on the wet driveway. It finally occured to me to look at the bottoms of my shoes and it is then I discovered the surface had been worn down and caused me to make a fool out of myself 3 times. I am glad that I only suffered embarassment. I could have been hurt a lot worse.

Np, I am laughing at the memory too. IT was pretty hilarious. I walked right into the Target entry way and I couldn't have had a more perfect entrance into the store. As soon as the 2nd set of doors opened, I slid right on in and fell flat on my rear. If I wasn't so embarassed, I would have laughed right along with my girls. All I could think of was that I had to get up and play it off, then I could figure out if I was actually hurt or not!

We have to take the elevator any where we go. My grandma got hurt on an Escalator when she was a child and since where I go, she goes, it's the elevator for us. She won't go in the pool or water at the beach either, nevah has. Too old to convince her otherwise and with the Alzh. I would have to convince her over and over, lol.
On the Crocs, any flip flop, sandal, open toed shoe, untied lace can get stuck. It is about common sense. My mom taught me to watch were I was walking when I was itty bitty. Didn't theirs?
I have lime green crocs, with frogs on them. I have worn them once, my mother convinced me to get them after she got her brown ones. Haven't seen em since, except on her feet. She even bought two shirts that go with them. I guess I lost out, lol. I hear they are comfortable. If only I didn't wear the same size shoe, lose more shoes that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back