Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Larson View Post
    Have you looked at his myspace page? I think half of it is in Spanish. He looks Hispanic to me. IMO

Yes I have looked at the Myspace page and I dont see one word of Spanish on it. Are we looking at same page?
    Last edited by rhyno1974; 02-05-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling

The actual URL for his myspace starts with latino.myspace while most normal ones are just myspace.com

I checked out his myspace again and I dont see any spanish on there though

I am sorry but IMO there is no resemblance at all. John is also Hispanic Lyle isn't. IMO.
    I have also looked and could not find any mention of him being hispanic.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: August 11, 2001 from Missoula, Montana
    Classification: Missing
    Date Of Birth: December 15, 1962
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 160 lbs
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Blue
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Square jaw
    Clothing: Hospital scrubs, t-shirt

Dentals: Available

http://www.nampn.org/cases/depatie_jonathan.html

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghLass View Post
    I have also looked and could not find any mention of him being hispanic.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: August 11, 2001 from Missoula, Montana
    Date Of Birth: December 15, 1962
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 160 lbs
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Blue
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Square jaw
    Clothing: Hospital scrubs, t-shirt

Dentals: Available

http://www.nampn.org/cases/depatie_jonathan.html
    Thanks! Just thought we may be looking at different pages.

Most times I am skeptical of matches for "Lyle Stevik" and my gut tells me that this is likely not him. However when I look at John's pictures I definately see a resemblance. Probably more so than any others that I have seen so far. I know some of the stats are off, but others have been compared and ruled out with greater differences in stats than those of John Depatie. I just don't think it should be dismissed. Perhaps if "coldcaseman" logs in sometime soon, he could give us his opinion on J.D.

Thanks Rhyno1974, I feel the same way. After pouring over the myspace site for John, I'm not so sure it's him either but he is the closest I've seen and I don't feel qualified to rule him out.

I don't recall seeing Depatie before, but I no longer have access to the entire file. I'll forward this info to Sgt. Shumate at the Sheriff's Office, and have him check for fingerprints, etc. NEVER exclude a possile match because of differences in height, eye color, etc. Tattoos, missing teeth, and such are generally good descriptors, but I still prefer to check for fingerprints, dental records, DNA and such just to be sure. Often, Hispanics will be classified as "white", and light brown hair is classified as "blond".

Someone asked on another website (that I posted on about Lyle) if Lyle was circumcised- something that I've automatically doubted considering everything else that has ruled out during the autopsy (no illness, medication, smoking habit, drug useage or fractured body parts although I think he broke his nose based on the shape of it)

Quote Originally Posted by outofthedark View Post
    Someone asked on another website (that I posted on about Lyle) if Lyle was circumcised- something that I've automatically doubted considering everything else that has ruled out during the autopsy (no illness, medication, smoking habit, drug useage or fractured body parts although I think he broke his nose based on the shape of it)
    He was circumcised. Nothing in tox to indicate he used drugs, and no indications in the motel room, in his clothing, or in his body that he was a smoker.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coldcaseman For This Useful Post:

He was circumcised
    Suprising that it never got mentioned on the Doe Network
    I always did wonder if he was Jewish though

On the side, here is Judaism's take on suicide:
    Question
    What is the Jewish attitude to burying a suicide?
    Answer
    Judaism regards suicide as a criminal act. Someone who commits suicide is considered a murderer. It matters not whether he kills someone else or himself. His soul is not his to extinguish.
    Judaism's opposition to suicide is found in the story of Noah's Ark. After the flood, God says to Noah: Your blood which belongs to your souls I will demand; from the hand of every beast will I demand it. From the hand of every man; from the hand of every man who is his brother will I demand the life of man.(Genesis 9:5)
    The Talmud (Baba Kama 90b) learns from the first part of the verse, "And surely the blood of your lives I will demand," that one may not wound his own body. All the more so, he may not take his own life.
    There is also a deep spiritual consequence to suicide.
    When a person commits suicide, the soul has nowhere to go. It cannot return to the body, because the body is destroyed. And it is not let in to any of the soul worlds, because its time has not come. This state of limbo is very painful. A person may commit suicide because he wants to escape, but in reality he is getting a far worse situation.
    In this world, if we try hard enough sometimes we can solve the problem. But after death there are no solutions, only consequences.
    When a Jew commits suicide, he is not permitted a full Jewish burial, and there is even a debate whether shiva (the seven-day mourning period) is observed or whether the kaddish prayer is said.
    In practice today, however, suicide is usually treated as a normal death, since it is assumed that the person was not of a normal state of mind. But we still see the gravity by which Judaism views suicide.
    With blessings from Jerusalem,

Rabbi Shraga Simmons

http://judaism.about.com/library/3_a...urysuicide.htm

If he was Jewish, this could be why he didn't take much with him or leave anything leading to his identity

All religions consider suicide a bad thing. I am sure he had another reason for not leaving anything behind to prove who he was.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyno1974 View Post
    Thanks! Just thought we may be looking at different pages.

Most times I am skeptical of matches for "Lyle Stevik" and my gut tells me that this is likely not him. However when I look at John's pictures I definately see a resemblance. Probably more so than any others that I have seen so far. I know some of the stats are off, but others have been compared and ruled out with greater differences in stats than those of John Depatie. I just don't think it should be dismissed. Perhaps if "coldcaseman" logs in sometime soon, he could give us his opinion on J.D.

Hi Rhyno, Now that was sweet having coldcaseman show up so soon. LOL Gives a good solid feeling to me about who he is and what he does. YaYa

Well blow me over, I have looked at so many possibles for Lyle and this is the closest I have seen too! Actually amazing. Many things are quite close on his info page.

I don't see an earlobe on that right ear of his. But I was surprised that if he doesn't have them they would leave that off his info sheet.

There is one thing that is very unique about Lyle that I almost never see. It is the special shape of his chin. It has to be a heredity issue with some grouping or nationality of people. This new prospect seems to have that chin, although the photo is quite small for this ooooold lady. LOL

But we can't forget that he had recently lost quite a bit of weight. The photo of this new man on the right, he looks heavier in that photo. Is the photo on the left in death? He has the same blank round eyed look that Lyle does in his eyes.

Missoula isn't too far from the Olympic Penninsula.

It is the best possibility I have seen.

Big Hugs to all you diehards. I luv you all xox

Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Hi Rhyno, Now that was sweet having coldcaseman show up so soon. LOL Gives a good solid feeling to me about who he is and what he does. YaYa

Well blow me over, I have looked at so many possibles for Lyle and this is the closest I have seen too! Actually amazing. Many things are quite close on his info page.

I don't see an earlobe on that right ear of his. But I was surprised that if he doesn't have them they would leave that off his info sheet.

There is one thing that is very unique about Lyle that I almost never see. It is the special shape of his chin. It has to be a heredity issue with some grouping or nationality of people. This new prospect seems to have that chin, although the photo is quite small for this ooooold lady. LOL

But we can't forget that he had recently lost quite a bit of weight. The photo of this new man on the right, he looks heavier in that photo. Is the photo on the left in death? He has the same blank round eyed look that Lyle does in his eyes.

Missoula isn't too far from the Olympic Penninsula.

It is the best possibility I have seen.

Big Hugs to all you diehards. I luv you all xox
    Yes we are very fortunate to have Coldcaseman here. I think his dedication is inspiring to all of us to never give up.

I definately see the resemblance as well. The main thing that makes me think it is not him is no mention of the appendectomy scar and the difference in height. It would be nice to have more info on John Depatie.

Its funny how you mention the pic on the left. The same thing crossed my mind when I looked at it. I am not sure if you checked out his Myspace page or not, but there are a few more photos. There is a link to it a few posts back.

Take Care.

I have a question: Is it possible to determine when someone has gotten a circumcision?

The "unibrow" is pretty distinct with Lyle.
    Agreed.

In Depatie's photo taken in 2001 (same year he went missing a month before Lyle), you can clearly see the eyebrows are much thinner and no sign of a unibrow. This is the first thing that stands out to me. Next is the obvious height differences between 5' 10" of Depatie and 6' 2" of Lyle. The shapes of the eyes and width are off, too.
    The photograph is ca. 2001 but is undated. (Almost?) all Doe Network photos are dated circa the year they went missing, to distinguish from age progressions, even when several photos show big changes in age and style of the missing person. The photo could be

Also it would be unusual but a man could pluck his eyebrows - he wouldn't need to gain a monobrow so much as cease to control it. I don't know how long it would take for a monobrow to come back but could a month on the road do it?

The 4" height difference is more of a concern but it could be a data recording error. 140lbs is way thin at that height though - so I am somewhat skeptical, especially as Lyle had 36" waist jeans (hence the implication of losing a lot of weight?). A long-legged man of 5'10" could be a 36/34 at 160 though, like Jonathan.

I think we can safely rule out Depatie as Lyle, imo.
    I think he's unlikely, but possible.

I like Jonathan because of the jaw, the time scale, the location (the motel address in Meridian would be a fairly easy starting point if he wanted to hit the road from Missoula).

I certainly have no issue with the possibility of Hispanic heritage in either, none or both of these men as Teresa has raised - Doe itself says that Lyle could be Hispanic. Jonathan could be or his MySpace could have been set up by a Hispanic friend - MySpace wasn't founded until 2003, 2 years after Jonathan's disappearance. I also think that Lyle Stevik is quite a cultured choice of alias - something that would suit a mature student, perhaps.

I don't like him because of the height or age (although Lyle looks older and Jonathan younger than the ages given). The monobrow thing is a concern but also the fact that although Jonathan has one eyebrow highher than the other, this effect is much more pronounced on the "Lyle" reconstruction (although this could be an artist's exaggeration). The eyes thing comes down to the skill of the artist but there is a difference.

The reconstruction is based right off of the morgue photo. I think Lyle's eyebrows are how they are is due to the autopsy when CCM opened his eyes to make him appear more lifelike

I did some researching on google for aboriginals and circumcision and aboriginal circumcision seems to mostly be common with Australian Aborigines
    Last edited by outofthedark; 02-12-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by outofthedark View Post
    I have a question: Is it possible to determine when someone has gotten a circumcision?
    No, although it is most commonly performed on newborns. Also, circumcision is not solely a Jewish procedure.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to coldcaseman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by coldcaseman View Post
    No, although it is most commonly performed on newborns. Also, circumcision is not solely a Jewish procedure.
    Thanks. That answered my question- saves me having to find a medical forum to post that question.

I know that circumcision is not strictly a Jewish custom. My brain tends to have a mind of its own sometimes

bumping for lyle..

possible match

COLDCASEMAN:

Please search for Manizak on the Doe Network. I think this is him with facial hair, and heavier. He was traveling in the same parts of the country. Meridian, ID is only 2 hours away from Twin Falls, ID. Also, he was traveling to Newport, OR, 5 hours away from Greys Harbor. Maybe worth checking with his family, tracking his disability checks, or finding out about insulin purchases during the time of his death. Would the ME be able to tell if someone is diabetic? Maybe he stopped using insulin. They don't mention and apendectomy scar but note a spider bite scar on one of his legs. Anyway, let me know what you think.

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1262DMCA

Thomas Edward Manizak
    Missing since July 30, 1999 from Lassen County, California
    Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 2, 1971
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0-6'1"; 150-160 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; green/hazel eyes. May have a goatee and a full beard.
    Marks, Scars: Spider bite scar on unknown leg.
    AKA: Rumplestilskin
    Medical: Diabetic, needs two insulin shots each day.
    Dentals: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Manizak is on disability due to diabetes and loves to travel in his van throughout the United States.
    He is very friendly and often picks up hitchhikers.
    He would camp out each night, somewhere off a highway, prefering dirt roads among the trees. He had camping equipment with him.
    Because of his diabetis, he would renew his insulin supplies at clinics in the towns he traveled through. He did not care properly for his diabetes, and may have slipped into a diabetic coma.
    He always called home to his mother at least twice weekly so that she would not worry, and was very close to his mother. He was living with her in California, every few months, when he was not on the road. He was last heard from at a truck stop just east of Twin Falls, Idaho, and was headed for Newport, Oregon.
    He was driving a 1970 Ford van, copper brown color, with California License #87647D.
    he has not claimed his disability checks, or used his medical card for diabetic supplies.
    He may be in Idaho, Oregon or Montana.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Lassen County Sheriff's Office
    530-257-6121
    Email

Agency Case Number: 2701799

I don't think Manizak looks at all like Lyle. The shape of their faces are completely different. I also don't think Manizak would have gotten a room to commit suicide. He more than likely would have done it in his van. That's probably what happened to him. He died in his van some place because of his diabetes.

I don't think Manizak looks at all like Lyle. The shape of their faces are completely different. I also don't think Manizak would have gotten a room to commit suicide. He more than likely would have done it in his van. That's probably what happened to him. He died in his van some place because of his diabetes.
    On the side, if Lyle had diabetes, it would have been found since they didn't find him to have any illness at the time of his death

Ok, how about this one?

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1331DMNSW

Lane, circa 1995

Chris John Lane
    Missing since October 12, 1995 from the Coogee area, New South Wales, Australia.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: Feburary 25, 1974
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 178 cm
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Thin build. Olive complexion.

Chris was last seen on October 12, 1995. He had been living in the Coogee area. At the time of his disappearance Chris had been attending the University Of NSW, where he had been studying philosophy.

Investigators

Randwick Police Station
    02 9697 1099

Source Information:
    New South Wales Police
    NSW Police

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

The eye brow/mono-brow on Manizak is a good match to Lyle.

Also, I am trying to find out more--but from what I can tell initially--diabetes seems difficult to detect during an autopsy--especially in younger folks who are not old enough to have developed some of the side effects that are more obvious, such as heart disease and circulatory issues.

Depatie looks like Lyle more than any other picture I have seen but Manizak has a lot of commonalities.

take a close look at manizak's nose. it's identical to lyle's. i would like to see more pics of manizak. without the beard would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by columbo78 View Post
    Ok, how about this one?

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1331DMNSW

Lane, circa 1995

Chris John Lane
    Missing since October 12, 1995 from the Coogee area, New South Wales, Australia.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: Feburary 25, 1974
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 178 cm
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Thin build. Olive complexion.

Chris was last seen on October 12, 1995. He had been living in the Coogee area. At the time of his disappearance Chris had been attending the University Of NSW, where he had been studying philosophy.

Investigators

Randwick Police Station
    02 9697 1099

Source Information:
    New South Wales Police
    NSW Police

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index
    That was partially ruled out on a DNA inconsistency- There was no DNA sample for Chris Lane, so it was provided by his brother. The DNA from Lane's brother was Mitochondrial DNA, "Lyle Stevik" had Nuclear DNA. Also the Chris Lane investigation have no dental or fingerprint records

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast