Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Are they in another country without access to media or technology? Are they mentally ill or drug addicted? Would they have reason not to panic when they haven't had contact with him for years?
    Why wasn't I ever able come up with those questions?!

Maybe he was a foster child?

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Larson View Post
    Lyle was too old to be a runaway and he defiantly isn't Irish The under tones of his skin are too dark. IMO he looks like he came from Alaska. Has anyone every sent his picture to the police there?
    I understood the "runaway" comment that he may have run away from home several years ago, as a young teen, which accounted for no one claiming him all these years later...

outofthedark...don't mean to speak for you, just wanted to clarify how i interpreted your comment...

For some reason, these are the 2 things I think about Lyle:

I have always thought and felt that he was gay. I have nothing to explain myself and i mean no disrespect to him. Just my first gut instinct.

And, this came up earlier, I somehow connect him to the 9/11 tragedy. Did he lose someone there? Was he mentally unstable and it just sent him over the edge? With his coloring and looks, was he connected to the terror suspects? I have wondered if there was "fasting" involved with the terror plots (to explain his weight loss)...

He's very baffling...

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV View Post
    I understood the "runaway" comment that he may have run away from home several years ago, as a young teen, which accounted for no one claiming him all these years later...

outofthedark...don't mean to speak for you, just wanted to clarify how i interpreted your comment...
    You are right about my comment because that is what I meant

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3414dmnm.html

Pernell Lloyd Tewangoitewa
    Missing since May 29, 1998 from Farmington, New Mexico
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'2"; 175 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Native male. (Navajo-Hopi ) Black hair; brown eyes. Sometimes wears gold toned, wire framed eyeglasses.
    • Clothing: Light blue shirt and blue jeans.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Pernell Tewa was last seen May 29, 1998 with his sister and friends at Gators Bar and Grill in Farmington, New Mexico.
    According to witnesses he was seen leaving Gatorís parking lot at 1:30 AM and heading east on Main Street alone. He never made it home that night.
    It is believed that Pernell detoured and went to a party that took place in Flora Vista, New Mexico.
    On June 18, the Silver Subaru hatchback that he was driving was discovered completely burned in Choke Cherry Canyon, about five miles northwest of Farmington.
    Farmington police processed the scene on June 20 and filed a missing-person report. The cause of the car fire was later determined to be arson.
    The case remains unsolved, although investigators have looked at a possible connection to an alleged serial killer in the area. Although Pernell is classified as a missing person, police say they are treating the case as a homicide.
    Pernell was a student at a local cosmetology school and lived with his sister at her house in Bloomfield about 10 miles southeast of Farmington.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Farmington Police Department
    Detective Robert Perez
    505-599-1010
    Or
    San Juan County Sheriff's Department
    Detective Scott Charles
    505-334-6108

NCIC Number:
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
    Pernell Lloyd Tewangoitewa

I wonder if this guy was ever considered a possible match? He is part Navajo. He has no earlobes. He is the same height. I think he resembles Lyle as much as any other missing persons that have been considered, especially the leftmost picture which I think looks similar to Lyle profile. It also says he was enrolled as a Cosmetology student which could explain his perfect teeth, neat appearance, etc. It says that he is classified as a missing person but the case is being investigated as a homicide, but I don't think that should keep him from being considered. What does everyone think?

I did consider him at one point, but then I ruled him out

I did consider him at one point, but then I ruled him out
    On the basis of.....

Lyle has a very distinct "unibrow." I haven't spotted that in any of the possible matches...

Quote Originally Posted by rhyno1974 View Post
    On the basis of.....
    Lyle's facial features- very distinct

Lyle has a very distinct "unibrow." I haven't spotted that in any of the possible matches...
    He has the same distinct unibrow as my cousin

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV View Post
    For some reason, these are the 2 things I think about Lyle:

I have always thought and felt that he was gay. I have nothing to explain myself and i mean no disrespect to him. Just my first gut instinct.

And, this came up earlier, I somehow connect him to the 9/11 tragedy. Did he lose someone there? Was he mentally unstable and it just sent him over the edge? With his coloring and looks, was he connected to the terror suspects? I have wondered if there was "fasting" involved with the terror plots (to explain his weight loss)...

He's very baffling...
    Yes, it's been a while since I read through the boards but I did come across the 9/11 theory. It's a good one.

I think the fact that he might be gay is a reasonable guess. I was actually thinking of that when I wondered if his family disowned him. Heck, I've had friends who ended up homeless when they came out b/c their (sometimes very wealthy) families disowned them.

I don't think he should be ruled out just because he doesn't have a unibrow. For all we know he could have kept it trimmed or plucked in 1998. I know that sound silly but is still possible.

I just don't think Pernell looks anything like Lyle.

Quote Originally Posted by nohwheregirl View Post
    Interesting about Navajo culture and suicide. It got me to thinking more generally about the other side of the question: who are these families that don't go looking for their missing relatives? Was Lyle disowned? Did he not have any family living? Are they in another country without access to media or technology? Are they mentally ill or drug addicted? Would they have reason not to panic when they haven't had contact with him for years?

I am working on the assumption here that Lyle concealed his real identity in order to spare his loved-ones the pain and/or expense of his death. So, you'd think he wasn't a totally isolated individual. You don't need to conceal your identity if no one knows who you are in the first place.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts about this?
    Great questions to ponder.

I am going to cut and paste exactly what my Navajo friend wrote to me about this, so perhaps it may explain better than I did in my previous post:

"The earlobe defect IS a Navajo trait, but it also runs in other tribes in the southwest, so I wouldn't rule out Hopi, Apache or any of the other peoples in the Southwest. But from the description, he does look like Dineh to me. Often, the Navajo way of speaking English is confused with a Canadian accent to an uneducated ear. I have a habit of making some statements sound like a question because of the way I end a sentence with a uplilt in my voice. But I don't say "eh?" as Canadians are wont to do.

I can tell you that yes, suicide is a shameful way to end one's life, and it does point to him being NA. He went to great lengths to not reveal his real name, and to "cover" his tracks. To take one's own life is considered the worst thing you can do in our culture, and it brings much shame to your family. It is simply not spoken of. Elders prefer to believe the young men died in some other fashion that to have taken their own lives, since this is considered the ultimate in cowardice. Much like the children of SS Officers and Nazi Youth in Germany, it is just not spoken about to anyone, especially 'outsiders'. "

Here is more info that I will share that I was able to get from my Navajo friend:

She was kind enough to speak to a Dineh tribal elder who still lives on the res. (My friend does not.) This relative is a higher up Elder, is in her late 80s and apparently still very mentally sharp. She is the last surviving member of my friend's mother's dineh family.

Basically, she shied away from acknowledgement of young American Indians committing suicide in such a manner, it is a highly taboo subject among the Elders, although she did say she knows about some people who have done it. But it is very taboo, I mean, you simply DO NOT SPEAK about this, even to utter the name of someone if they've taken their own life. She did ask why we believed he was Navajo, and my friend reminded her of the earlobe defect, she laughed and reminded my friend that her own MOTHER had this same defect. (My friend had forgotten!) The defect DOES run in apparently many Navajo, especially full-bloods to have this.

My friend sent this elder relative an email link to the Doe Network page with the photos of Lyle's belongings. (Her son helped her access it.) Apparently she scoffed when she saw the photo of the belt. In the picture, the belt buckle was what she calls White Man Work, which means it probably came from Walmart, or another store. It does have NA style hash marks, but she believes it isn't silver. She says it's too plain to have been NA.

One of the things she shared about suicide is that the family of someone suspected of committing this act will be shunned should they speak of it. They mourn the person privately, and tradition says his/her name (birth name, not "christian" name), is never spoken aloud again. She personally feels for these people, calling them lost souls who are destined to wander the afterlife alone and unloved. She stated that she secretly prays for these people.

This elder also agrees that the family of this man should know what happened, even if they can never speak about it, but from what I've learned, Dineh seldom if ever report missing family members. According to my friend, and her elder relative, they just don't say things like this to the Tribal Police, because it's always turned over to the BIA. As much as possible, they police their own, and the elders know everything about everyone. But nowadays, apparently they do tend to lose contact with the young since traditions and family values are now so broken.

Wow, rmf - that is fascinating.

Thanks for taking the time to gather and share that information.

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast