Mom sues after IVF brings 2 babies instead of 1

I realize she only wanted one baby, but I still don't agree that she should sue. I wonder if she signed any papers that said that by implanting the embryos, there is a chance of carrying more than one child at a time.

OK call me hard but, this women is an IDIOT. I find it hard to believe that she was not awaree of her risks for mulitiple birth. I believe that the incidence is 20 times greater in pregnancies concieved through IVF. I am also sure she was well aware of these risks and signed documents that will confirm that. Just google IVF and almost every article will talk of the increase chances of multiple births. The doctor only implanted 2 embryos not 5-6. I am sure that decision was made because all the embryos generall ydo not take. Wonder which one of these babies will grow up thinking she was the one that the mother did not want.

hopefully this will go nowhere. usually they implant several healthy eggs hoping that one will hang on. guess this woman does not view children as a blessing. most people i know who have had to endure this procedure and the related expenses are desperate to have children and would be beyond thrilled at the thought of two.

if she really did not want the second child to this exstream she could allow it to be adopted by one of the many women who cant get any embryos too live. if both embryos had died would she sue the doctor because she wanted 1 child and she has none? multiple birth and no birth are risk with in vitro.

I hope she ends up paying her doctors legal fees. What a dolt.

I hope she ends up paying her doctors legal fees. What a dolt.
I agree....I am so tired of people suing for frivelous reasons. There should be a law that states if you bring about a frivelous lawsuit you will pay $$$$$ for wasting everyones time!! And yes I understand that that would be hard to do because everyone has an opinion of what is and isn't frivelous...but still!

I don't see how this lawsuit can proceed and will most likely be gotten rid of with a simple dispositive motion.

This makes me so mad! Does she realize how many women would be overjoyed if they could even get pregnant with one baby? Can you imagine what she must be like as a person? I feel sorry for her kids; she'll probably make them feel guilty for the extra cost for their whole lives.

I would think that most people who had wanted and hoped for a baby would feel doubly-blessed with two!!! People are sooooo stupid. Didn't she know that fertility treatments increase the likelihood of multiples? :doh:

I'd actually prefer twins.
lol i can tell you dont have them. we had alot of twins in my family growing up. 6 sets total. my cousins and i always thought it would be so cool to have a set. her babies are almost 10 months now and she is so tired. she loves those boys soooo much and would not give them up for the world. she does say it would be nice if she could have had them one at a time lol.

i dont blame this mother for wanting 1. i blame her for not accepting that things happen and being grateful for 2 health babies. you dont sue every time life dont go the way you planned. she will be raising 2 children at once. if she does not learn to just accept the unexpected and find joy in what she can how will she handle 2 toddlers... much less 2 teens.

This is absolutely ridiculous! I don't know how the Austrailian court system but I hope this case is summarily dismissed. These type of news stories are the ones that medical students and doctors read and cry "boo-hoo, they sue us for everything" when in actuality, at least in the US, most of these frivolous cases don't go anywhere but the front page of the newspaper (because that's the media for you).

Anyhow, I think you willingly undergo IVF (as with any elective procedure) you assume the risks. If she had been adament that she only wanted one embryo implanted, I think the doctor would have counseled her on the lower success rate but implanted one embryo. She probably said I want one baby. Then the doctor explained how IVF works and how your eggs are not in the greatest shape at 40 so there would be a greater chance of success with two. She said okay, but then decided she didn't want to pay for the IVF (which is not covered by insurance and costs about $20k) or life so decided to sue. So is reverting to the ole "I said I wanted one" as if doctor's are miracle workers. It's amazing that they can help a 40+ year old women get pregnant, but I think you ask too much when you expect to them to know precisely how the process will work out from the outside.

This woman is a moron. I would never do it, but I believe she also could have selectively terminated one of the pregnancies...and of course, adoption is an option too.

This is absolutely ridiculous! I don't know how the Austrailian court system but I hope this case is summarily dismissed. These type of news stories are the ones that medical students and doctors read and cry "boo-hoo, they sue us for everything" when in actuality, at least in the US, most of these frivolous cases don't go anywhere but the front page of the newspaper (because that's the media for you).

Yes, I believe that MSJs will be filed and hopefully won.

lol i can tell you dont have them. we had alot of twins in my family growing up. 6 sets total. my cousins and i always thought it would be so cool to have a set. her babies are almost 10 months now and she is so tired. she loves those boys soooo much and would not give them up for the world. she does say it would be nice if she could have had them one at a time lol.

i dont blame this mother for wanting 1. i blame her for not accepting that things happen and being grateful for 2 health babies. you dont sue every time life dont go the way you planned. she will be raising 2 children at once. if she does not learn to just accept the unexpected and find joy in what she can how will she handle 2 toddlers... much less 2 teens.

Well, apparently twins skip a generation on my fiance's side (wedding is this Saturday!!!) and she's next in line. I thought it would be cool to knock out two at once and have it over with. :D

So assuming these twins grow up and learn of their mothers actions...which one of them does she plan on telling that she filed the suit over? Wonder if she's thought that far ahead?:waitasec:

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials Paladin!

Well, apparently twins skip a generation on my fiance's side (wedding is this Saturday!!!) and she's next in line. I thought it would be cool to knock out two at once and have it over with. :D

Congratulations Paladin!!!!!! All my best to you and your fiance.

I am an identical twin in a family with three sets of twins. No joke I have two sets of twin brothers and my mom has always said that twins were easier because then you always had a playmate your own age. This woman obviously wanted a baby badly enough to have IVF. How selfish to not accept that you are blessed and given double joy of an instant family. Hell I think this doctor should sue her for the cost of the secind IVF she would have to have a second child. She basically has already saved $10,000 just on the one treatment she would have had to have if she wanted to further her family after the first pregnancy. What a selfish woman...

Here is another thought . . . She can afford invitro but cannot afford another child?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back