Rather files $70 million lawsuit against CBS

pedinurse

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20874051/

Rather files $70 million lawsuit against CBS

Newsman alleges network made him ‘scapegoat’ for discredited story

Dan Rather filed a $70 million lawsuit Wednesday against CBS, alleging that the network made him a “scapegoat” for a discredited story about President Bush’s National Guard service.
The 75-year-old Rather, whose final months were clouded by controversy over the report, says the complaint stems from “CBS’ intentional mishandling” of the aftermath of the story.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm surprised he didn't file it sooner.

Me too pedinurse. On the news this topic is under the heading of "He just Won't Let It Go". I say,why the hell should he? Rather has worked hard to create his lustrious career,spanning over 40 yrs. It was a shame how they made him exit that career,over something as unimportant as Bush's National Guard service.I'm not saying what Rather did is right,I just think he didn't deserve what he got.I feel for him.

Now,if he was claiming a foreign country was hiding WMD,when they really weren't ......

Good for Rather. I don't care if he takes down the whole network. I can live without Two-and-a-Half Men.

Me too pedinurse. On the news this topic is under the heading of "He just Won't Let It Go". I say,why the hell should he? Rather has worked hard to create his lustrious career,spanning over 40 yrs. It was a shame how they made him exit that career,over something as unimportant as Bush's National Guard service.I'm not saying what Rather did is right,I just think he didn't deserve what he got.I feel for him.

Now,if he was claiming a foreign country was hiding WMD,when they really weren't ......

You know, didn't he even apologize for the company (even though I think the article says he still stands by the story) publically during a newscast? I can't remember, but I thought he did. I also don't think he was SOLEY responsible for the story... why scapegoat him when he was just the main one reporting it? I know others were fired... but this was a great reporter. One story should not cause him to be fired!!!! I think that if a fact checker, or someone working on the story with him didn't pull together the right facts (do you think this 75 year old guy was out digging files out of cabinets and chasing leads? I don't think so!) then that person should be talked to! I don't know if the story were true or not... if it was, good for him for reporting it and sticking to it. If it wasn't, the appropriate steps were taken, but they went too far axing him in my opinion. Way too far! He was such a great reporter! His overseas coverage - and his heartfelt coverage of the 9-11 events - won him a place in my heart for forever.
I hope he wins, personally. I liked him!

Oh, PS. what do you want to bet that was on CBS. Jerks!

You know, didn't he even apologize for the company (even though I think the article says he still stands by the story) publically during a newscast? I can't remember, but I thought he did. I also don't think he was SOLEY responsible for the story... why scapegoat him when he was just the main one reporting it? I know others were fired... but this was a great reporter. One story should not cause him to be fired!!!! I think that if a fact checker, or someone working on the story with him didn't pull together the right facts (do you think this 75 year old guy was out digging files out of cabinets and chasing leads? I don't think so!) then that person should be talked to! I don't know if the story were true or not... if it was, good for him for reporting it and sticking to it. If it wasn't, the appropriate steps were taken, but they went too far axing him in my opinion. Way too far! He was such a great reporter! His overseas coverage - and his heartfelt coverage of the 9-11 events - won him a place in my heart for forever.
I hope he wins, personally. I liked him!

Not only wasn't he solely responsible, he didn't even originate the story or do the reporting. He read the script the production team had prepared; this isn't to say he doesn't share responsibility as I'm sure he had the clout to kill the report if he chose. But he made a curious scapegoat. I'm sure his age and the network's desire to attract a younger demographic didn't help his case.

The producer of that segment was also fired, though at the time I read that she, too, stands by the reporting and the story.

Politically, however, as Lacy Wood pointed out in the PP, the most important fact is that the secretary who would have prepared the document in question said quite clearly the doc was essentially correct, even if it was a recreation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back