OK OK - Girl Scout Murders, Lori Farmer, 8, Michelle Guse, 9, Doris Milner, 10, 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darlin, is there a link or somewhere we can read about this case??

when this happened i was scheduled to go to girl scout camp here in michigan and went but scared to death anything new and what happened to the camp and families

reneevalenti, I did not start the initial thread on this case....someone else did. Back then, threads expired after 30 days if not bumped, and I bumped the thread. I know absolutely nothing about this case.

I network missing, lost and abducted persons cases.
Please join us in the missing forum sometime
http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

To see who actually started any thread, whether their posts are gone or not, simply look under the thread title, in this case it was blueclouds.

With love and HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing

WasBlind said:
reneevalenti, I did not start the initial thread on this case....someone else did. Back then, threads expired after 30 days if not bumped, and I bumped the thread. I know absolutely nothing about this case.

I network missing, lost and abducted persons cases.
Please join us in the missing forum sometime
http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

To see who actually started any thread, whether their posts are gone or not, simply look under the thread title, in this case it was blueclouds.

With love and HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing

Hi, that's ME.

Here's a link I had to pull up from an archive. Hopefully link works.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001101...8-11-30/News_and_Views/Crime_File/a-12295.asp

This is incredibly sad and for the most "UNSOLVED". I think they got the right guy... but my understanding on an article last year is that the "official" testing of DNA is still backlogged regarding this case.

Thanks for bumping this.

I searched for any new info on this and wasn't able to find any.
anyone else know anything about the DNA testing?
It also seems that it would be difficult to rape and murder 3 girls at the same time alone. doesn't it?

I think it is still closed. But is it grown over or buildings torn down? How are the families doing?

This story is 7 years old now, and the crime was committed over 28 years ago. Although the main suspect was acquitted of the murders, it would be interesting to see what DNA says about it today. It is possible he might, in fact, have committed the crimes, but if not, then perhaps the real killer or killers might be found still.

----------------------------------------------------------------
News and Views | Crime File |
Monday, November 30, 1998
[font=impact, helvetica bold, sans serif][size=+3]Unsolved Mystery [/size][/font]
[size=-1]By JOSEPH McNAMARA[/size]
Terry Tennant awoke in her tent. Although deep in sleep, she thought she had heard a scream. The 12-year-old awakened a friend, a pal girl scout on the first night of their planned two-week camping adventure. Both listened intently. They heard nothing like a scream. Both went back to sleep.

Elsewhere in the camp of 120 girls, another scout thought she heard screams. It had been a night of great excitement, as the girls chatted and giggled away the evening in the warm embrace of canvas. This scout now listened with hushed breath, but heard nothing. She also went back to sleep. It was 3 a.m. June 13, 1977.

But screams there might well have been, for at 6 a.m. a counselor going to wash found that three young girls had been torn from their tent and slain.

Michele Guse, 9, and Lori Lee Farmer, 8, had been beaten to death. Doris Milner, 10, had been beaten and strangled. All three had been raped. Two bodies lay in zipped sleeping bags. The third was on the open ground.

Fear raced through Camp Scott, about a mile outside sleepy Locust Grove in the northeast corner of Oklahoma. Mayes County Sheriff Glen Weaver was among the first of many investigators to reach the scene. He decided that the slayer had picked that particular tent because it was 50 feet from the others and near thick brush, which would have given the killer cover.

Also — and probers wondered if the killer might have known it — the fatal tent was among very few that did not have an adult counselor sleeping in it.

With the murder of the three girls, all from the Tulsa area 30 miles west, investigators descended on Locust Grove, a town of 1,019 people.

"I just don't think we have that many nuts in the area," the sheriff said. "It makes me pretty mad."

Hot on a Trail

Two days later, two tracking dogs were brought in from Pennsylvania to find the killer's path. Within a week, one died of heat prostration and the other was hit by a car. Others were brought in and led searchers to a small cave a mile from the murder scene.

Empty food cans indicated someone had lived there, if briefly. Also found: two tattered photographs of three women. The pictures, when spread across area newspapers, brought results in a day. The women were guests at the 1969 wedding of a prison worker's daughter.

Among those attending that wedding was a prison trusty named Gene Leroy Hart, who worked as a darkroom assistant at the prison.

"He's got to be our man," Weaver said.

At the time of the wedding Hart, 33, a Cherokee Indian, was serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping two young women in Tulsa in 1966 and raping one of them.

He was paroled later in 1969 but was arrested within months on four counts of burglary. Convicted of the robberies, Hart was given 305 years — the second-largest term ever meted out in Tulsa. In 1973, during a transfer, Hart broke out of Weaver's jail in Pryor, Okla., and was still loose at the time of the three slayings.....

Links:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001101214922/
http://www.nydailynews.com/1998-11-30/News_and_Views/Crime_File/a-12295.asp

this story always struck close to home i was a girl scout and my sister is a girl scout i remeber going away to camp it was my first camping trip everyone else was staying overnite except me and another scouter we left at the end of the day. then i remember our leaders telling us about another camp which was farther away and it was a longer stay a few days i think to a week, i wanted to go but at the time i was still afraid to be away from home and never went. how said that a camping trip turned wrong. i hope that the murders can be solved didnt that guy who was in jail die of heart problems?

It reminded me a little of the Memphis 3 case which was equally heart breaking. Do you think there may have been more than 1 killer bearing in mind there were 3 victims?

Were any prints lifted from cans, etc, from the 2nd cave? If so, I wonder if they've been run through any databases recently?

I hope they get some answers, 30 years is too long to wait. Today the girls would be 38, 39, and 40.

There are new developments in one the most heinous crimes in Oklahoma history, the Girl Scout murders of 1977. Investigators have reopened the case to try a new type of DNA testing on the evidence. News On 6 anchor Jennifer Loren reports that they say the results could finally give them the answers they've been looking for for 30 years.

It was June of 1977. Oklahoma and the entire nation were shocked when three young Girl Scouts were found murdered at Camp Scott near Locust Grove. Eight-year-old Lori Farmer, 10-year-old Doris Milner of Tulsa and 9-year-old Michelle Guse of Broken Arrow had been beaten and sexually assaulted.

There was one suspect in the case, Gene Leroy Hart, who was a prison escapee at the time of the murders. He was tried and found not guilty in this case. But he was returned to prison for other crimes where he later died of a heart attack.

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=127999

I hope they can finally give some answers to the families.

I haven't heard of these murders but I found another website with more information. I cant believe the counselors ignored the girls! My mom kept me from camping with the girl scout's at the same time these murders happened. I didnt understand it when I was little but now as a parent I do. They do not care enough about your child to be trusted with them.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/girlscoutmurders/

Fantastic news about the dna and I too cannot believe I never heard about this horrible crime. Why the hell didnt the supervisors of the children check out ANY of the reports? Werent they afraid themselves? I wonder how many supervisors there were there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member