Gulf coast dwellers eye developing storm

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Gulf Coast residents kept a watchful eye and the oil industry began making preparations Thursday as forecasters warned that a weather system swirling over waters west of Florida could make landfall as a tropical storm over the weekend.

In storm-skittish Louisiana, the governor declared a state of emergency late in the day, putting the National Guard on alert and school buses, ambulances and evacuation shelter workers on standby.

Conditions favor the low-pressure system becoming a subtropical or tropical cyclone within the next day, the National Hurricane Center said. A coastal flood watch is in effect through Saturday, the National Weather Service said.

The storm's path remains uncertain, but "the general consensus" is that it will hit between the mouth of the Mississippi River and Alabama's Mobile Bay, said Sam Shamburger, a Weather Service meteorologist. That's about the same route Hurricane Katrina took in 2005.

The system could make landfall early Saturday, said Mark Smith, a spokesman for the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070921/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather_gulf&printer=1

Good morning Mr Bearer of Good News!!!!!

I'm on the West Coast here DK and we got some winds and some rain, some very very much-needed rain - but nothing I would call "battered". I'm glad for the rain, believe me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back