1281 users online (220 members and 1061 guests)  

Websleuths News

AK - Paul Shoch, 68, Wrangell-St Elias National Park, 12 Sept 2007

Paul Shoch, 68, from Brule, WI "did not show when waether permitted an airplane to pick him up on Monday, a day later than planned." ("The Reporter," Fond du Lac, WI 21 Sept 2007, but no link on their website.)

More details: there is a ground and aerial search going on, rain and snow are expected over the next couple of days, Shoch was dropped off Sept 12 at Skolai Pass inside the park, area is only accessible by small plane, Shoch's gear was found near the airstrip "but there's been no sign of the missing hiker."

Apparently there's also a story in the "Anchorage Daily News," but it's by subscription only. Anyone with a subscription want to post the link here?

tia,

Hoppy

Search for hiker broadens

The Associated Press
    Published: September 20, 2007
    Last Modified: September 20, 2007 at 04:38 AM
    WRANGELL-ST. ELIAS -- Officials at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve are expanding their search for a missing hiker.

Paul Shoch, a 68-year-old Wisconsin man, did not show up when weather permitted an airplane to pick him up Monday, a day later than planned.
    A ground and aerial search was started, involving a fixed-wing aircraft and a helicopter.
    Officials report Shoch's tent, food and other equipment were found near the airstrip, but there's been no sign of the missing hiker.
    Shoch was dropped off Sept. 12 at Skolai Pass.

if(getCookies("fontSize")){ var mySize = getCookies("fontSize"); changeStyles(mySize); //alert(mySize); }

Search continues for hiker missing in largest national park

The Associated Press
    Published: September 20, 2007
    Last Modified: September 20, 2007 at 08:30 AM
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Officials at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve say they're continuing their search for a missing hiker.
    Paul Shoch, a 68-year-old Brule, Wisconsin man, did not show when weather permitted an airplane to pick him up Monday, a day later than planned.

A ground and aerial search is continuing, involving a plane and a helicopter.
    Park spokesman Smitty Parratt says scattered rain and snow are expected over the next couple of days.
    Shoch was dropped off September 12th at Skolai Pass in the east-central section of Wrangell-St. Elias, the largest national park in the country.
    Parratt says the area is deep within the borders of the 20,500-square mile park and is only accessible by small plane.
    Officials report Shoch's tent, food and other equipment were found near the air strip, but there's been no sign of the missing hiker.
    Parratt says Schoch was camping in an area near the Russell glacier laced with braided glacial streams and glacial moraines, steep mountains, extremely high brush and swamps.

Search expands for missing hiker in Wrangell-St. Elias

The Associated Press
    Published: September 19, 2007
    Last Modified: September 19, 2007 at 04:06 PM
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Officials at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve are expanding their search for a missing hiker.

Paul Shoch, a 68-year-old Wisconsin man, did not show when weather permitted an airplane to pick him up Monday, a day later than planned.

A ground and aerial search was started, involving a fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter.
    Officials report Shoch's tent, food and other equipment were found nearby the air strip, but there's been no sign of the missing hiker.
    Shoch was dropped off September 12th at Skolai Pass.

Hoppy! I'll try and check daily for more info. This is very common in alaska - often information daily with more than one missing person, usually boaters. I expect that this one made bigger news because he's from outside.

Must be a pretty good outdoorsman to be out by himself though.

Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK View Post
    Not to mention...at that age! I hope for the best for him. He needs to be found before the bad weather sets in.

However, like I felt about the climbers found last year in WA...is it worth it?! Do you leave your family behind knowing the risks? I went through many emotions during their search...and ended with anger. I could not believe how selfish those men were to climb a mountain knowing the danger and risks...leaving behind their wives and children to pick up the pieces. I gave my "adventurous" son quite a talking to after that! If you are single with no kids...it is one thing...but if you have responsibilities to others who depend on you...it is a selfish indulgence.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I was thinking about how common this must be in Alaska and wondering if Alaskans got tired of trying to find missing outsiders!

Here's hoping he's found soon. I can't figure out why he did just stay camped near the airstrip, unless we're talking about a grizzly bear attack or something like that.

Hoppy

Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK View Post
    Hoppy! I'll try and check daily for more info. This is very common in alaska - often information daily with more than one missing person, usually boaters. I expect that this one made bigger news because he's from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    I was thinking about how common this must be in Alaska and wondering if Alaskans got tired of trying to find missing outsiders!
    We do get tired of hearing about people not taking the wilderness seriously here. I don't know that this was the case, but most alaskan's would not consider a backcountry trip alone. Just too risky.

Many more articles - will post right now.

Footprints found in search for missing hiker

The Associated Press
    Published: September 22, 2007
    Last Modified: September 22, 2007 at 03:24 PM
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Footprints found near a glacier have focused the search for a missing Wisconsin man in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.

Park officials say footprints that could belong to Paul Schoch of Lake Nebagamon, Wis., were tracked over soft soil and sand southeast to where they disappeared along the top of a moraine of Russell Glacier.
    Searchers continue to search the area on foot as well as in aircraft.
    Schoch was reported missing Monday by an pilot, who was supposed to have picked him up at Skolai Pass after a three-day hike.
    Park officials say Schoch is reportedly an experienced hiker.

Search continues for missing hiker

The Associated Press
    Published: September 23, 2007
    Last Modified: September 23, 2007 at 03:54 PM
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Ground and aerial searchers continue to look for a missing Wisconsin man in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.

Twenty-four ground searchers spent a fourth night near Russell Glacier at the 4,500-foot level, camping out in subfreezing temperatures. But they have failed to find 68-year-old Paul Schoch of Lake Nebagamon, Wis., who was reported missing Sept. 17.
    Searchers have combed an area around the glacier where footprints that could be Schoch's were tracked Friday over soft soil to where they disappeared along the top of a moraine. Searchers also are covering other areas.
    Park officials say Schoch's base camp was found intact early in the search, with most of his provisions there.

if(getCookies("fontSize")){ var mySize = getCookies("fontSize"); changeStyles(mySize); //alert(mySize); }

Thanks, Beth. I looked for an update yesterday and couldn't find one.

Hoppy

I heard on the radio today that the search for Shoch has been temporarily called off due to bad weather, but I don't have a link.

Hoppy

Remains of Missing Hiker Found in Alaska

http://northcountrytrailnews.blogspo...-found-in.html

Friday, September 11, 2009

The remains of Paul Schoch, of Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin have been found, and returned to his home for burial. Schoch disappeared in Alaska, two years ago. He was a volunteer and supporter of the North Country Trail.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Rest in peace Paul.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140720/...-without-trace

Schoch's body did, however, eventually make it home. Two years after he disappeared, hikers stumbled on human remains about 12 miles from Schoch's old campsite. Park officials later confirmed they were those of the missing man. It appeared, they said, that he sat down on a rock, possibly to rest, and died from a heart attack or some other natural cause.

The discovery of his body was pure luck. But it was aided by the fact Schoch died in one of the few areas of Wrangell-St. Elias accessible enough to attract people. Much of the park -- like much of wild Alaska -- is seldom, if ever, visited.