CT CT - Mary Badaracco, 38, Sherman, 19 Aug 1984

Rle7

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: August 19, 1984 from Sherman, Connecticut

Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: August 11, 1946
Height and Weight: 5'7, 145 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Mary's nickname is Mary Poo. She has a surgical scars on her abdomen due to a gallstone operation and an appendectomy. Mary has psoriasis on both of her knees and elbows. Her ears are pierced. Mary was a chain smoker at the time of her 1984 disappearance. She wears front dentures. Her right thumb is scarred as the result of four previous stitches.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Mary was employed as a barmaid in Sherman, Connecticut in 1984. She had a stormy relationship with her husband, Dominic Badaracco, and left him for short periods of time in the past. Mary's adult daughters from her previous marriage reported her as a missing person on August 31, after they had not been contacted by their mother since the 19th. Dominic claimed that he saw Mary for the last time on August 20, when she packed all of her belongings and left their residence in the 20 block of Wakeman Road. None of Mary's personal items were located inside the house by her daughters. Her 1982 Chevrolet Cavalier was parked outside of their home, however. The windshield on the driver's side of the vehicle had been smashed. Mary's car keys and her wedding ring were placed on the kitchen counter. Dominic claimed that he gave Mary $100,000 to leave their residence and as an informal settlement. He maintained that she simply packed her things and left after receiving the cash. Her daughters had a close relationship with Mary and other loved ones stated she would never leave the vicinity without sharing her plans.

Divorce proceedings for Mary and Dominic took place in August 1985, nine months after she vanished. Mary was not represented at the hearing and Dominic continued to insist that she left their home after receiving his cash offering. There has not been any evidence of the cash or any trace of Mary's belongings since her disappearance.
Mary's case was upgraded from a missing person's case to that of a homicide in 1990, six years after she disappeared. Investigators received a tip from an informant that Mary was killed after members of The Hell's Angels' motorcycle gang issued a contract on her life. Dominic's son Joey, who has a criminal record, is a member of the gang. The tip has never been confirmed and Mary's case remains unsolved. Some agencies may list Southbury, Connecticut as the location of Mary's disappearance.

bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Connecticut State Police
860-685-8000
OR
860-355-9375
OR
Texas Department Of Public Safety
800-346-3243
bar.jpg

Source Information
The Hartford Courant
Connecticut State Police
ID-Wanted.org
Texas Department Of Public Safety
The National Center for Missing Adults
The Doe Network

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/badaracco_mary.html

State police detectives were digging for clues this week in connection with a 1984 missing person case believed to be a homicide. Mary Badaracco, 53, disappeared from her Sherman home 22 years ago and hasn't been seen since. Lt. J. Paul Vance, state police spokesman, declined to comment about what police are looking for at a site in Newtown along I-84. A $50,000 reward has been offered by the state for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

"It is a search for evidence, not a body," Vance said. "When we get a tip, we follow it up." Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Western District Major Crime Squad at 800-376-1554.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2007/09/21/newsblog/285680.txt

State police are digging up a backyard in Newtown looking for clues in the case of woman that disappeared over twenty years ago.

For the family of Mary Badaracco, there has been one question since August 19, 1984 - What happened to her? The 38 year old woman simply disappeared from her home in Sherman and her family believes she was murdered. Now, state police are acting on a tip and digging up the backyard in Newtown.

In the past six days, sources say that several cars were pulled out of the yard, but the family is hoping that Mary's car is pulled out next.

The family did not want to go on camera, but they did release a statement saying: This is the first substantial lead in all these 23 years that could lead to physical evidence being unearthed. Who buries a car, let alone three or four cars, unless they are hiding something? I must demand our mother's case be investigated to the fullest extent until investigators are 1000-percent certain all evidence has been found and all leads have been exhausted.

http://www.wtnh.com/global/story.asp?s=7128721

I rec'd this via email from CUE

NEWTOWN -- State Police confirmed Wednesday that excavations at a Farrell Road home are part of an investigation into the disappearance of Sherman resident Mary Badaracco 23 years ago.

Lt. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the State Police, said investigators received information from a witness that led them to the site. Investigators have been digging in the home's backyard for more than a week.
"There was information provided to us by a witness that has brought us to this level," Vance said. "This is an open case and every time something arises we act on it. This lead drew us to this property, which we had a search warrant for."
Badaracco disappeared from the Sherman home she shared with her husband, Dominic, her two daughters and her four stepchildren in August 1984, at the age of 38. The case has since been reclassified as a homicide.
Ernest Dachenhausen, a former owner of the Farrell Road home who was brought to the site by authorities Tuesday, said recently that he knew Dominic Badaracco from work and had hung around with one of Dominic's sons. He said, however, that he had nothing to do with Mary Badaracco's disappearance. "I didn't do anything," he said.
adlog.php

Vance said the excavation has resulted in the discovery of an assortment of items, including several vehicles, which are being examined by investigators. The excavation has been put on hold pending further analysis, he said.
"Some items have been recovered that investigators have to look at to see if it takes us anywhere," Vance said. "The investigators will also determine if there are other areas of the property that we need to look at."
Beth Profeta, one of Mary Badaracco's daughters, was concerned that investigators would close the excavation before ensuring that any and all evidence had been recovered.
"I realize that police are doing everything they can, but people have to remember that this is our mother," Profeta said. "If it was their mother would they quit with the possibility of more evidence being there?"
She added that no matter how much healing she has undergone or how many therapy sessions she's attended, any time authorities find unidentified remains all the pain comes back.
"Whenever I hear news of remains, the wounds are ripped open and I have to start all over again," Profeta said. "Nobody should ever have to go through this."
Vance said investigators are encouraging anyone with information to contact the authorities. The state has offered a $50,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest in the case.
"We know there are people out there who have information," Vance said. "We would like to move this case to finality as soon as possible."
n
Anyone with information is asked to call the State Police Troop A Headquarters at (800) 376-1554 or (203) 267-2200.
Contact Dirk Perrefort at dperrefort@newstimes.com or at (203) 731-3358.

Monica Caison
CUE Center for Missing Persons
PO Box 12714
Wilmington, NC 28405
(910) 343-1131
(910) 232-1687 24 Hour Line
Email: cuecenter@aol.com

It's been 23 years since Mary Badaracco's two daughters saw their mother alive. Police don't know where she went and haven't found her body. Despite that, they've labeled her disappearance a homicide, NBC 30 News reported.

NBC 30's Amanda Raus spoke with Badaracco's daughters, who said they were still searching for answers in this cold case killing . In August 1984, Badaracco mysteriously disappeared, and her husband, Dominic, said she took $100,000 and left him, leaving her car and a wedding ring behind. Badaracco's daughters, Sherrie Passaro and Beth Profeta, didn't find out about her disappearance until a week later.

"I got a call from my stepsister, Donna -- Dominic's daughter," Profeta said. "She took me out to lunch and told me that my mother was gone."

"I was at the house when he told me," Passaro said. "Her car was still in the driveway with a smashed front window through the driver's side window. My first thought was, 'How did she take off if she didn't have her car.'"

Passaro said little by little, things began to add up. Passaro said she noticed there were no longer family pictures hanging at her mother's Sherman house. Even though she said her stepfather, Dominic, told her and Profeta not to report their mother missing, they went to the police.

http://www.nbc30.com/news/14776588/detail.html?rss=har&psp=news

A Danbury man is facing a misdemeanor charge in the homicide case of a Sherman woman who disappeared in 1984.

Ernest Dachenhausen was charged Friday with interfering with police. Troopers searched the backyard of his former home in Newtown last September for clues in the case of 38-year-old Mary Badaracco. She has never been found and was declared legally dead in 1991.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/co...make_arrest_in_case_of_missing_sherman_woman/

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-coldcase0426.artapr26,0,248479.story

Courant.com

Arrest Made In Long Unsolved Slaying Of Sherman Woman

By TOM PULEO
Courant Staff Writer
April 26, 2008
DANBURY —
http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/trb.courant/news/local;ptype=ps;slug=hc-coldcase0426artapr26;rg=ur;ref=courantcom;=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=7729892?
Sherrie L. Passaro last saw her mother alive in August 1984. Since then: no body, weapon or trace of Mary Badaracco, age 38 when she vanished.

Passaro, who always suspected foul play, welcomed news Friday that state police had made an arrest in connection with Badaracco's disappearance, classified since 1990 as a homicide.

"It's been so long," Passaro said. "There has never been an arrest. We're cautiously optimistic."

State police charged Ernest Dachenhausen, 65, of 4 Hillside Road, Danbury, with interfering with police, a misdemeanor. Police in September excavated the backyard of Dachenhausen's former Newtown residence and found buried cars, Lt. J. Paul Vance confirmed Friday.

Vance did not specify what troopers were searching for or what led them to charge Dachenhausen seven months later. He cited sealed court documents in one of the state oldest cold-case files. For years, police have believed that there are those who know precisely what happened to Mary Badaracco, but have remained silent out of fear.

"We did discover some good information, some good leads," Vance said. "We are continuing the investigation."

Dachenhausen is being held with bail set at $75,000, pending arraignment on Monday in Superior Court in Danbury. Dachenhausen said in September that he knew Badaracco's husband, but had nothing to do with the disappearance.

Danbury police initially believed Mary Badaracco ran away from home as part of an agreement to split up with her husband, Dominic Badaracco, a Danbury businessman. The case was reclassified a homicide in 1990, and Mary Badaracco was declared legally dead in 1991.

Mary Badaracco, a barmaid known as "Mary Poo," was last seen at her home in Sherman. She left behind her car keys, wedding ring and an occasionally abusive relationship with her husband.

Nine months after Mary disappeared, Dominic Badaracco went before a judge and said he and Mary had been planning a divorce. Mary, he said, agreed to leave and give up the home in return for ``approximately $100,000."

Passaro, 45, said she and her sister, Beth Profeta, both of Danbury, have not had any contact with Dominic Badaracco, their stepfather, since the days after their mother's disappearance.

She said Dominic asked her and her sister not to report their mother missing, but they did, anyway, sensing that something wasn't right.

"We knew something bad happened to her," Passaro said. "I know my mother, and there's no way she would just leave. She didn't just drive away and never come back. Nobody believed that. The police obviously don't believe that or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing."

In 1985, an informant in the federal witness protection program said the Hell's Angels had killed Mary Badaracco under a contract ``hit."

In 1990, Dominic's son, Joseph "Joey" Badaracco, went to prison on an arson conviction after hiring two men in 1989 to firebomb a bar owned by a rival of his father. Joey Badaracco was an acknowledged member of the Hell's Angels. Police at the time refused to say whether he was a suspect in his stepmother's disappearance.

Passaro said the recent activity in the case is encouraging.

"We're going on almost 24 years," she said. "The arrest is a huge step for me and my sister. We've been very vocal with the police."

Contact Tom Puleo at tpuleo@courant.com.

Copyright © 2008, The Hartford Courant

I am glad to see that they are making some progress in this case. This one in particular has always haunted me as it occured in my own hometown. I do remember much about it at the time that it happened as I was so young but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about it. I moved out of state a few years back so I had know idea about all the progress being made. I was also stunned to read about the recent arrest. While I don't know this particular man I have known a few people in the Danbury area who share his last name and am left wondering if they are any relation. Please keep posting I am anxious to see if anything else surfaces.

The family of Ms. Badaracco is hoping that a new billboard located just outside of Danbury, CT will lead to tips that will finally bring Ms. Badaracco home to the people who love her. It offers a 50,000.00 reward for information leading to the recovery of her (presumably) body. It will be located off of RT 37 in Danbury.

Prayers that this long suffering family finally receives the answers they need!!!

The press release was forwarded to WS by the CUEcenter:

CUE Center for Missing Persons
PO Box 12714
Wilmington, NC 28405
(910) 343-1131
(910) 232-1687
cuecenter@aol.com
www.ncmissingpersons.org

http://www.rep-am.com/news/doc4a018e2e5618d738862821.txt

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:19 AM EDT

Husband key suspect in woman's disappearance

Dominic Badaracco, the husband of a woman who disappeared Aug. 20, 1984, from her Sherman home, was named as the key suspect in her murder Tuesday in Danbury Superior Court.

Dominic Badaracco is alleged to have paid a family friend, Ernest Dachenhausen, to bury his slain wife Mary's Chevy Cavalier, according to testimony by state police detective Joseph Bukowski in Danbury Superior Court on Tuesday. Accused of hindering efforts to find the car 23 years after she disappeared, Dachenhausen is accused of interfering with police when they began digging in Newtown in September 2007. He was charged in April 2008 and has been free on $10,000 bond...

Jury: 'Not guilty' in case of buried car

It took a jury of six 90 minutes to return a not guilty verdict Thursday in Danbury Superior Court, exonerating Ernest Dachenhausen of Danbury of charges he interfered with a police investigation related to a 20-year-old murder case.

Dachenhausen, 67, was on trial for allegedly thwarting police in their search for a 1982 Chevrolet Cavalier regarded as key evidence in the investigation.

Police said Dachenhausen gave them false and misleading information about where he buried several cars on his former Farrell Road property, including the Chevrolet owned by Mary Badaracco, who went missing from her Sherman home in the summer of 1984.

http://www.rep-am.com/news/doc4a035238dd972426861113.txt

Setback in Badaracco case

Verdict hinders Badaracco probe

It was a setback. That's how those close to the probe of Mary Badaracco's 1984 disappearance see the not-guilty verdict a jury rendered last week in the puzzling case of Ernest Dachenhausen.
But Mary's daughters, and investigators, maintain it is just the latest chapter of a tale nearly a quarter-century old, a tale that will end with police cracking the case.
Dachenhausen wasn't actually implicated in Badaracco's disappearance -- which was eventually reclassified as a homicide -- but accused of interfering with the investigation by giving police false, incomplete and unreliable information.

More at link:
http://www.newstimes.com/ci_12334611?source=most_emailed

The Mary Badaracco case will be featured tonight on Crime Wire Investigates at 9PM Eastern time with Susan Murphy-Milano, Dennis Griffin and Vito Colucci and their panel of experts.

If you get a chance, please listen in, and you can always listen later to the archive or download the podcast.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/crimewire/2010/08/04/crime-wire-investigates

TONIGHT ON INTIMATE PARTNER HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION; JOIN SUSAN MURPHY-MILANO, SHERYL McCOLLUM, AND HOLLY HUGHES AS THEY DISCUSS THE DISAPPEARANCE 26 YEARS AGO OF MARY BADARACCO.

ALSO THEY'LL DISCUSS THE BASE OF CHANDA TURNER. WAS IT MURDER OR SUICIDE ? YOU’LL BE SHOCKED AT THE NEGLIGENCE IN THIS CASE.

Websleuths has teamed up with Susan Murphy Milano , Cold Case Expert Sheryl McCollum, and Former Atlanta Prosecutor Holly Hughes to give a voice to so many victims who have been silenced too long

Victims of intimate partner homicide and those killed by a person’s rage for the sake of argument, are less than visible in the eyes of society. Our media focuses on crimes by strangers and often seems to pass over domestic violence deeming it "less than newsworthy". Websleuths.com and Intimate Partner Homicide Investigation will give a voice to victims who have been silenced by those who exert their power through abuse and control. This forum is a place be heard and to seek justice. As we read about tragic cases in the news, we are reminded that the epidemic exists, but know that too often the cases lack a voice or a face as they are under reported. It is the goal of Websleuths.com and Intimate Partner Homicide Investigation, to bring these cases to the forefront.

In addition to our forum on Websleuths we will also sponsor a radio show every Monday night at 9:00 Eastern time. You can listen here!

After the show tonight discuss Chanda Turner's case here

And Mary Badaracco here

Bump

Mary Edna has been missing 26 years today. Come home soon.

http://www.newstimes.com/policerepo...rms-Grand-jury-investigating-Mary-1417629.php

Cold case warms: Grand jury investigating Mary Badaracco's disappearance and presumed homicide

John Pirro, Staff Writer

Updated 10:57 p.m., Thursday, June 9, 2011

Joseph Badaracco, of Danbury, the son of the man state police said is their top suspect in Mary Badaracco's presumed 1984 murder, said Thursday he has been subpoenaed to testify before the grand juror, whom he said is sitting in New Britain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back