1072 users online (219 members and 853 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    Madeleine's eyes

    In photographs of Madeleine, I've noticed that her pupils often have white spots. White spots on a photographed eye can be a sign of retinoblastoma. I'm sure this is a long shot, but could Madeleine have had eye cancer? I'm no doctor. Looking for more expert opinions...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

    BTW, I've been lurking here for a while but each time I see her picture, I think about this possibility. I haven't seen anything posted about this possibility. Look at the first set of pictures posted by Colomom on the pictures thread to see these white spots or reflections. Usually, eyes will have red spots when photographed.

  2. #2
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN's Avatar
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Nebraska Farm
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousity View Post
    In photographs of Madeleine, I've noticed that her pupils often have white spots. White spots on a photographed eye can be a sign of retinoblastoma. I'm sure this is a long shot, but could Madeleine have had eye cancer? I'm no doctor. Looking for more expert opinions...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

    BTW, I've been lurking here for a while but each time I see her picture, I think about this possibility. I haven't seen anything posted about this possibility. Look at the first set of pictures posted by Colomom on the pictures thread to see these white spots or reflections. Usually, eyes will have red spots when photographed.

    I've thought the same thing. If you notice, one picture Maddie's left eye is worse than the right. That is usually when the disease is diagnosed, when only one eye shows white with the flash. I remember one TV show about it, and the mom thought it so strange that only one of her child's eye would glow...and much whiter than other people in the picture so she mentioned it to her Pediatrician and the child was eventually diagnosed.

    This coupled with possible developmental disorders make me believe that this was a well thought out premeditated murder. Now that I find they had an English Police procedures book with them, I am convinced this is the case.

  3. #3
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    I've even thought that possibly this was a planned abduction. The child was too much to handle - was sick, disrupting their lives, disrupting the lives of the twins, etc etc etc., so they staged an abduction and Madeleine is really alive somewhere, possibly living with another family - who the heck knows. All I know is at this point this case doesn't seem to be going anywhere!

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the Beach and in our hearts
    Posts
    8,143
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousity View Post
    In photographs of Madeleine, I've noticed that her pupils often have white spots. White spots on a photographed eye can be a sign of retinoblastoma. I'm sure this is a long shot, but could Madeleine have had eye cancer? I'm no doctor. Looking for more expert opinions...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

    BTW, I've been lurking here for a while but each time I see her picture, I think about this possibility. I haven't seen anything posted about this possibility. Look at the first set of pictures posted by Colomom on the pictures thread to see these white spots or reflections. Usually, eyes will have red spots when photographed.
    Curiousity, I will get back with more information when my best girlfriend get home from shopping~ LOL

    Her daughter had a Retinoblastoma when she was about 3 yrs. old.
    My friend's older son saw something in her eye, like Maddies and they immediately got her to the best eye Doctor in town here in La Jolla CA. He said it's either nothing or it's was cancer!

    He recommended that she see the top Doctor at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York and they flew there the next day!

    It turned out of course to be a Retinoblastoma! Since they found it early they were able to operate but did to remove the eye. Several months after surgery she got a fake eye and would every couple of years have that replaced as she was growing.

    My friends daughter now is fine.........43 yrs. old, has two children and
    has been a teacher for years.

    If...........this spot you see in Maddie'a eye was a dreadful Retinoblastoma then it seems that there would be a good chance at Maddies age to get help.

    There are two types of retinoblastoma. Familial retinoblastoma is hereditary, is passed from parent to child, and is bilateral (affects both eyes). Familial retinoblastoma represents 10% of cases. It is associated with a long-term predisposition to other types of cancer. The second type of retinoblastoma, responsible for 70% of all new cases, is unilateral (only one eye is affected). It represents the non-heritable form of the disease, and carries no increased risk of a second tumor.

    "Ninety percent of all retinoblastoma cases are diagnosed within the first three years of the child's life. On average, children with familial retinoblastoma typically are diagnosed at four months of age. When there is no family connection, the cancer is usually diagnosed when the child is approximately one to two years of age".

    When my girlfriend gets home, I'll see what she thinks about that spot in Maddies eyes. I'm sure that my friend would never forget what the spot they found looked like.

    Does anyone here remember if one of the Doctor's at the dinner party happen to be an ophthalmologist! It would be interesting!


    xxxxxxxooooo
    mama

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Altered State of TropiCalifornia
    Posts
    2,076
    You are a wealth of information woman!! Thank you for sharing this story with us.

    Doesn't Maddie have a special aura about her? I would really love to hear that little voice with her British accent. At the same time, I know it would just break my heart.
    "It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~~ JA






  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3
    Love Mama- Thank you for the information. As I said, I'm not a doctor. I just know there is a childhood form of eye cancer that sometimes shows up as white spots on the pupil in photographs. I hoped that someone more knowledgeable would be able to look at Madeleine's photographs and say whether "those spots are definitely not retinoblastoma" or "hmmm, maybe..." I know no one is going to make a diagnosis on the basis of photos on the internet. Thank you for your help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,182
    Quote Originally Posted by iNTERESTEDWOMAN View Post
    I've thought the same thing. If you notice, one picture Maddie's left eye is worse than the right. That is usually when the disease is diagnosed, when only one eye shows white with the flash. I remember one TV show about it, and the mom thought it so strange that only one of her child's eye would glow...and much whiter than other people in the picture so she mentioned it to her Pediatrician and the child was eventually diagnosed.

    This coupled with possible developmental disorders make me believe that this was a well thought out premeditated murder. Now that I find they had an English Police procedures book with them, I am convinced this is the case.
    From a photo you are making a diagnosis on Maddies eyes?

    You must be a doctor Interestedwoman, and a good one at that!

  8. #8
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN's Avatar
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Nebraska Farm
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by narlacat View Post
    From a photo you are making a diagnosis on Maddies eyes?

    You must be a doctor Interestedwoman, and a good one at that!
    Nope, not a doctor. I don't trust doctors, especially GP's and Heart Surgeons.

    Though I am a human, and have studied human behavior my entire life.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    I don't understand the reasoning I'm reading here and have read elsewhere on this board that because Madeleine may have had some sort of special needs, either physically or psychologically, her parents wanted to do her in. I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

    From what I've read on this case, all evidence so far seems to point to the parents (assuming the evidence is valid). But I find it hard to believe that such a crime would have been premeditated. If the parents had a hand in it, the most logical scenario be accident, panic, and cover-up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltubrid View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning I'm reading here and have read elsewhere on this board that because Madeleine may have had some sort of special needs, either physically or psychologically, her parents wanted to do her in. I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

    From what I've read on this case, all evidence so far seems to point to the parents (assuming the evidence is valid). But I find it hard to believe that such a crime would have been premeditated. If the parents had a hand in it, the most logical scenario be accident, panic, and cover-up.
    personally I dont think it was premeditated... I did do a couple other threads about her coloboma and other things that could be associated with, and also the bruises on Kate's arm. Again, I don't think it was premeditated... maybe it's just too hard for me to fathom a parent wanting a child gone... But I do wonder about the eye being a stressor, if indeed, it was something more. And if Gerry was abusive... thus the bruising that looks to me like a hand print.... just speculating.


  11. #11
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN's Avatar
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Nebraska Farm
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltubrid View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning I'm reading here and have read elsewhere on this board that because Madeleine may have had some sort of special needs, either physically or psychologically, her parents wanted to do her in. I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

    From what I've read on this case, all evidence so far seems to point to the parents (assuming the evidence is valid). But I find it hard to believe that such a crime would have been premeditated. If the parents had a hand in it, the most logical scenario be accident, panic, and cover-up.

    Thank goodness most of us Autism mom's can deal with it, (barely). If you have read the Shafer Autism Report for the last 10 years as I have, at least once a month there is a story of an child with autism killed at the hands of their mother. Not only has there been murder, but several murder/ suicide, and a MANY suspicious drownings. It happens a lot. Unfortunately many parents can't take it, it breaks families apart.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the Beach and in our hearts
    Posts
    8,143
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousity View Post
    Love Mama- Thank you for the information. As I said, I'm not a doctor. I just know there is a childhood form of eye cancer that sometimes shows up as white spots on the pupil in photographs. I hoped that someone more knowledgeable would be able to look at Madeleine's photographs and say whether "those spots are definitely not retinoblastoma" or "hmmm, maybe..." I know no one is going to make a diagnosis on the basis of photos on the internet. Thank you for your help.
    I talked to my friend yesterday and she said that it was a tiny white spot in the pupil of her daughter's eye. Also said that they could only see it when it was dark....it then showed up. Like you say, you are not a doctor nor am I but recall that I posted that the first Doctor she went to sent her to a well known Dr. in New York to get a better diagnoses and he himself was not sure. The white spot that my friend saw was very tiny.

    All of us here are grabbing at straws trying to figure out what happened to Maddie. I welcome any anyone's theory and Because know that many of us here can't even think out loud that the parents had anything to do with it but you may be very suprised.

    I am praying, not just hoping that this little child is alive somewhere but I'm also keenly aware that parents do sometimes kill their own children. I would LOVE to think this is not the case!

    xxxxxxxxxxxxooooo
    mama

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the Beach and in our hearts
    Posts
    8,143
    Quote Originally Posted by narlacat View Post
    From a photo you are making a diagnosis on Maddies eyes?

    You must be a doctor Interestedwoman, and a good one at that!
    Hi narlacat.......mama here. NOPE, we're not making a diagnosis, just sleuthing. DANG........I wish we had more information that we could really count on! This has been an interesting case....but it just drag's on and
    on.

    xxxxxxxoooooo
    mama

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_Mama View Post
    Hi narlacat.......mama here. NOPE, we're not making a diagnosis, just sleuthing. DANG........I wish we had more information that we could really count on! This has been an interesting case....but it just drag's on and
    on.

    xxxxxxxoooooo
    mama
    Evidence one can count on is sorely lacking. It's like taking a walk on quicksand.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote:
    I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

    That's good that you have seen the "loving" side of parents rallying around their special needs children. Being the mother of 1 special needs child with many chronic illnesses, I have spent many hours volunteering at a house called Jonathan's place here in Dallas (which is an emergency shelter) I have seen many children come through here with special needs, and chronic illnesses that have been abused, and neglected by parents. It happens all the time, and seeing how many children that come and go from this place, it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.
    Check it out!! http://www.jpkids.org/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. The Eyes have it?
    By elmomom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Tags for this Thread