Madeleine's eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousity

Reaction score
In photographs of Madeleine, I've noticed that her pupils often have white spots. White spots on a photographed eye can be a sign of retinoblastoma. I'm sure this is a long shot, but could Madeleine have had eye cancer? I'm no doctor. Looking for more expert opinions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

BTW, I've been lurking here for a while but each time I see her picture, I think about this possibility. I haven't seen anything posted about this possibility. Look at the first set of pictures posted by Colomom on the pictures thread to see these white spots or reflections. Usually, eyes will have red spots when photographed.

In photographs of Madeleine, I've noticed that her pupils often have white spots. White spots on a photographed eye can be a sign of retinoblastoma. I'm sure this is a long shot, but could Madeleine have had eye cancer? I'm no doctor. Looking for more expert opinions...

BTW, I've been lurking here for a while but each time I see her picture, I think about this possibility. I haven't seen anything posted about this possibility. Look at the first set of pictures posted by Colomom on the pictures thread to see these white spots or reflections. Usually, eyes will have red spots when photographed.

I've thought the same thing. If you notice, one picture Maddie's left eye is worse than the right. That is usually when the disease is diagnosed, when only one eye shows white with the flash. I remember one TV show about it, and the mom thought it so strange that only one of her child's eye would glow...and much whiter than other people in the picture so she mentioned it to her Pediatrician and the child was eventually diagnosed.

This coupled with possible developmental disorders make me believe that this was a well thought out premeditated murder. Now that I find they had an English Police procedures book with them, I am convinced this is the case.

I've even thought that possibly this was a planned abduction. The child was too much to handle - was sick, disrupting their lives, disrupting the lives of the twins, etc etc etc., so they staged an abduction and Madeleine is really alive somewhere, possibly living with another family - who the heck knows. All I know is at this point this case doesn't seem to be going anywhere!

Curiousity, I will get back with more information when my best girlfriend get home from shopping~ LOL

Her daughter had a Retinoblastoma when she was about 3 yrs. old.
My friend's older son saw something in her eye, like Maddies and they immediately got her to the best eye Doctor in town here in La Jolla CA. He said it's either nothing or it's was cancer!

He recommended that she see the top Doctor at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York and they flew there the next day!

It turned out of course to be a Retinoblastoma! Since they found it early they were able to operate but did to remove the eye. Several months after surgery she got a fake eye and would every couple of years have that replaced as she was growing.

My friends daughter now is fine.........43 yrs. old, has two children and
has been a teacher for years.

If...........this spot you see in Maddie'a eye was a dreadful Retinoblastoma then it seems that there would be a good chance at Maddies age to get help.

There are two types of retinoblastoma. Familial retinoblastoma is hereditary, is passed from parent to child, and is bilateral (affects both eyes). Familial retinoblastoma represents 10% of cases. It is associated with a long-term predisposition to other types of cancer. The second type of retinoblastoma, responsible for 70% of all new cases, is unilateral (only one eye is affected). It represents the non-heritable form of the disease, and carries no increased risk of a second tumor.

"Ninety percent of all retinoblastoma cases are diagnosed within the first three years of the child's life. On average, children with familial retinoblastoma typically are diagnosed at four months of age. When there is no family connection, the cancer is usually diagnosed when the child is approximately one to two years of age".

When my girlfriend gets home, I'll see what she thinks about that spot in Maddies eyes. I'm sure that my friend would never forget what the spot they found looked like.

Does anyone here remember if one of the Doctor's at the dinner party happen to be an ophthalmologist! It would be interesting!

:blowkiss: :blowkiss:
xxxxxxxooooo
mama

You are a wealth of information woman!! Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Doesn't Maddie have a special aura about her? I would really love to hear that little voice with her British accent. At the same time, I know it would just break my heart.

Love Mama- Thank you for the information. As I said, I'm not a doctor. I just know there is a childhood form of eye cancer that sometimes shows up as white spots on the pupil in photographs. I hoped that someone more knowledgeable would be able to look at Madeleine's photographs and say whether "those spots are definitely not retinoblastoma" or "hmmm, maybe..." I know no one is going to make a diagnosis on the basis of photos on the internet. Thank you for your help.

I've thought the same thing. If you notice, one picture Maddie's left eye is worse than the right. That is usually when the disease is diagnosed, when only one eye shows white with the flash. I remember one TV show about it, and the mom thought it so strange that only one of her child's eye would glow...and much whiter than other people in the picture so she mentioned it to her Pediatrician and the child was eventually diagnosed.

This coupled with possible developmental disorders make me believe that this was a well thought out premeditated murder. Now that I find they had an English Police procedures book with them, I am convinced this is the case.

From a photo you are making a diagnosis on Maddies eyes? :waitasec:

You must be a doctor Interestedwoman, and a good one at that!

Nope, not a doctor. I don't trust doctors, especially GP's and Heart Surgeons.

Though I am a human, and have studied human behavior my entire life.

I don't understand the reasoning I'm reading here and have read elsewhere on this board that because Madeleine may have had some sort of special needs, either physically or psychologically, her parents wanted to do her in. I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

From what I've read on this case, all evidence so far seems to point to the parents (assuming the evidence is valid). But I find it hard to believe that such a crime would have been premeditated. If the parents had a hand in it, the most logical scenario be accident, panic, and cover-up.

I don't understand the reasoning I'm reading here and have read elsewhere on this board that because Madeleine may have had some sort of special needs, either physically or psychologically, her parents wanted to do her in. I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

From what I've read on this case, all evidence so far seems to point to the parents (assuming the evidence is valid). But I find it hard to believe that such a crime would have been premeditated. If the parents had a hand in it, the most logical scenario be accident, panic, and cover-up.

personally I dont think it was premeditated... I did do a couple other threads about her coloboma and other things that could be associated with, and also the bruises on Kate's arm. Again, I don't think it was premeditated... maybe it's just too hard for me to fathom a parent wanting a child gone... But I do wonder about the eye being a stressor, if indeed, it was something more. And if Gerry was abusive... thus the bruising that looks to me like a hand print.... just speculating.

Thank goodness most of us Autism mom's can deal with it, (barely). If you have read the Shafer Autism Report for the last 10 years as I have, at least once a month there is a story of an child with autism killed at the hands of their mother. Not only has there been murder, but several murder/ suicide, and a MANY suspicious drownings. It happens a lot. Unfortunately many parents can't take it, it breaks families apart.

Love Mama- Thank you for the information. As I said, I'm not a doctor. I just know there is a childhood form of eye cancer that sometimes shows up as white spots on the pupil in photographs. I hoped that someone more knowledgeable would be able to look at Madeleine's photographs and say whether "those spots are definitely not retinoblastoma" or "hmmm, maybe..." I know no one is going to make a diagnosis on the basis of photos on the internet. Thank you for your help.

I talked to my friend yesterday and she said that it was a tiny white spot in the pupil of her daughter's eye. Also said that they could only see it when it was dark....it then showed up. Like you say, you are not a doctor nor am I but recall that I posted that the first Doctor she went to sent her to a well known Dr. in New York to get a better diagnoses and he himself was not sure. The white spot that my friend saw was very tiny.

All of us here are grabbing at straws trying to figure out what happened to Maddie. I welcome any anyone's theory and Because know that many of us here can't even think out loud that the parents had anything to do with it but you may be very suprised.

I am praying, not just hoping that this little child is alive somewhere but I'm also keenly aware that parents do sometimes kill their own children. I would LOVE to think this is not the case!

xxxxxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

Hi narlacat.......mama here. NOPE, we're not making a diagnosis, just sleuthing. DANG........I wish we had more information that we could really count on! This has been an interesting case....but it just drag's on and
on.:furious:

xxxxxxxoooooo
mama

Hi narlacat.......mama here. NOPE, we're not making a diagnosis, just sleuthing. DANG........I wish we had more information that we could really count on! This has been an interesting case....but it just drag's on and
on.:furious:

xxxxxxxoooooo
mama

Evidence one can count on is sorely lacking. It's like taking a walk on quicksand.

Quote:
I've known many, many parents of kids with chronic illnesses, autism, etc., and I've always found the opposite to be true. These parents rally around their children and, if anything, become even more protective.

That's good that you have seen the "loving" side of parents rallying around their special needs children. Being the mother of 1 special needs child with many chronic illnesses, I have spent many hours volunteering at a house called Jonathan's place here in Dallas (which is an emergency shelter) I have seen many children come through here with special needs, and chronic illnesses that have been abused, and neglected by parents. It happens all the time, and seeing how many children that come and go from this place, it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.
Check it out!! http://www.jpkids.org/

I think Madeleine is dead, and I think she died at the hand of her parents. Still, I don't believe a second that it was premeditated.

Most of all, if the McCanns were planning to murder Madeleine, I don't think it would have been because of a disease of some sort. It doesn't make any sense. They don't get anything out of it, and there is always the (big) risk of being caught, I don't think they'd take the chance. Actually, I believe even more in an abduction than in premeditated murder. (And basically, I don't believe in abduction at all ;) )

I've always thought that the eye-thing (some call it a colomba, some say it isn't a real one) isn't really that significant. You won't be able to see it, unless you get very close up to her. And nobody would get very close up if her hair is cut short and colored black and she's wearing boys clothes. I think her height is far more important.

ANd the fact that the McCanns have focused much more on her eye than her height makes me suspicious of them. Everyone is looking for a four year old, with a colombo. They should be looking for a 2,5 year old, because that was how tall she really was.

ANd the fact that the McCanns have focused much more on her eye than her height makes me suspicious of them. Everyone is looking for a four year old, with a colombo. They should be looking for a 2,5 year old, because that was how tall she really was.

I would totally place all the focus on her eye, it's the only thing that's waaaay hard to disguise. I hear you can buy contacts, but I wonder if an abductor would know that? Then chance putting them in a 4 yr old. You can try to disguise height, putting her in a pushchair or carrying her around in public, and besides, her height will change the longer she is missing, if she is alive.

I would totally place all the focus on her eye, it's the only thing that's waaaay hard to disguise. I hear you can buy contacts, but I wonder if an abductor would know that? Then chance putting them in a 4 yr old. You can try to disguise height, putting her in a pushchair or carrying her around in public, and besides, her height will change the longer she is missing, if she is alive.

My point is that people might not even look into most childrens eyes, because they might check the eyes of four year olds, and not the eyes of much smaller children. Do you have any idea how small she really is? Her height is not even considered normal for a girl her age. It's not in the range for what is normal. It's the average height of girls aged 2 years and 3 months.

If I had a child missing, who is so significantly smaller than other girls her age, that's something I wouldn't miss mentioning.

My point is that people might not even look into most childrens eyes, because they might check the eyes of four year olds, and not the eyes of much smaller children. Do you have any idea how small she really is? Her height is not even considered normal for a girl her age. It's not in the range for what is normal. It's the average height of girls aged 2 years and 3 months.

If I had a child missing, who is so significantly smaller than other girls her age, that's something I wouldn't miss mentioning.
I totally agree! Very little has been said about Madeleine other than about the coloboma. One would think that everything that constitutes a description of her should be blasted everywhere particularly anything unusual like her being smaller than average. You make a very good point everyone is looking for a 4 year old not a 2.5 year old. Looks like the parents are not THAT keen to have her found!

I totally agree! Very little has been said about Madeleine other than about the coloboma. One would think that everything that constitutes a description of her should be blasted everywhere particularly anything unusual like her being smaller than average. You make a very good point everyone is looking for a 4 year old not a 2.5 year old. Looks like the parents are not THAT keen to have her found!

Wow....that's some media campaign then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member