736 users online (72 members and 664 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181

    IN - Fired Lab Worker Says Boy Bit First

    http://www.news4jax.com/news/14215931/detail.html
    INDIANAPOLIS -- A former lab technician admitted to investigators she bit an autistic boy during a blood test, but said the 3-year-old had bitten her first, Indianapolis police said Wednesday.

    The county prosecutor's office will determine whether charges will be filed against the technician, who was fired after Friday's incident at St. Vincent Hospital, WRTV-TV in Indianapolis reported.

    The boy's mother, Faith Buntin, took him to St. Vincent in Indianapolis for a blood test because of recent recalls of toys involving lead. Buntin said that as the technician restrained the boy so a colleague could draw blood, the worker restraining him put her mouth on the boy's shoulder.

    Buntin said the worker told her, "it was just a play bite," and that the boy wasn't hurt.

    "I did hear her ... comment to her colleagues, 'That's the way we treated kids at the group home.' And I thought to myself, 'Glad my child is not in a group home,'" Buntin said.

    Buntin said she overlooked the incident because her son was crying over the testing. Back at home, she said, she saw teeth marks on his left shoulder.

    Her husband drove the boy back to the hospital, where he was prescribed antibiotics. The family filed a report with police and is seeking criminal charges.

    The fired technician told investigators that she bit the boy after he bit her arm. She said she has a bruise to prove her claim, police said.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,416
    What sort of adult BITES a three year old?
    A sick one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK View Post
    What sort of adult BITES a three year old?
    A sick one.
    One that's only masquerading as an adult.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    "He bit me first"???!!! What a loser. I hope they are checking into that "group home" she was talking about.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,611
    I hope she gets found out for all the injurious actions she has committed against those who are in her power, and NAILED TO THE WALL!!! I hope she's made to go through anger management courses and serious counseling for the rest of her life, whether she sees prison or not, and I hope she will never ever be put in a position to have power over people in a "group home" setting ever again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    I was assuming this was a young, inexperienced employee, but this woman is 53 yrs old. Shame on her. The little boy is cute!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Sadly enough, that is one of the most common bits of advice a parent will get to remedy a child biting.

    It makes me nuts, but it's true. The woman's age, if anything, is on her side for making me believe SHE thinks it is an appropriate thing to do.

    Do a test. Post on some random parenting board that you have a child who has recently started biting, and you are at your wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    I'll bet you a dozen donuts that at least one person says that they bit their child back to get them to stop. That it sounds terrible but it worked for them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Oh man... I don't even know what to say, but to do it right there in front of the parents and co-workers? A few weeks ago I had to take my son who is also Autistic and 9 years old to get a shot. It took 3 people to hold him down and when the nurse told him it was over that he could sit up now my son was passed out. It was very scary for me because I saw one of the nurses holding the back of his head down against the little table they lay you on so I was thinking oh God did she smother him on accident or something? It only took about 30 seconds and they were able to wake him but I was scared.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Sadly enough, that is one of the most common bits of advice a parent will get to remedy a child biting.

    It makes me nuts, but it's true. The woman's age, if anything, is on her side for making me believe SHE thinks it is an appropriate thing to do.

    Do a test. Post on some random parenting board that you have a child who has recently started biting, and you are at your wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    I'll bet you a dozen donuts that at least one person says that they bit their child back to get them to stop. That it sounds terrible but it worked for them.
    You are absolutely right. When I had a gifted preschool, I would often take in kids for a week when their babysitter was on vacation. I recall one boy who was a biter. When he got into the paint a bit much and I took his shirt off to wash it, I saw a huge human bite mark on his back. I called his mother immediately, thinking that she needed to know... turns out, it was HER that TOLD the regular day care provider to do it. She said the boy bit other kids, and told the regular day care person to bite her child back if he bit. She then told me I "had permission" to do the same thing.

    That's like hitting a child to keep them from hitting.

    It's just not making sense to me.

    I reported BOTH the mother AND the other provider. (I was not kept informed about the results of the report, and was never asked to testify, so I don't know what happened... beyond not being able to watch the boy anymore.)
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    Oh man... I don't even know what to say, but to do it right there in front of the parents and co-workers? A few weeks ago I had to take my son who is also Autistic and 9 years old to get a shot. It took 3 people to hold him down and when the nurse told him it was over that he could sit up now my son was passed out. It was very scary for me because I saw one of the nurses holding the back of his head down against the little table they lay you on so I was thinking oh God did she smother him on accident or something? It only took about 30 seconds and they were able to wake him but I was scared.
    Those random 30 seconds... I know how it stops your heart completely! Probably all loving parents have similar 30 seconds of pure terror like that - different situations, but it's just long enough to unsettle you for a long time! I remember each one of my "30 seconds" like they are burned into my brain.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Sadly enough, that is one of the most common bits of advice a parent will get to remedy a child biting.
    I've seen this response here and there too. I guess my problem is even if you believe that's the right thing to do, you don't do it to someone else's child!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    You are absolutely right. When I had a gifted preschool, I would often take in kids for a week when their babysitter was on vacation. I recall one boy who was a biter. When he got into the paint a bit much and I took his shirt off to wash it, I saw a huge human bite mark on his back. I called his mother immediately, thinking that she needed to know... turns out, it was HER that TOLD the regular day care provider to do it. She said the boy bit other kids, and told the regular day care person to bite her child back if he bit. She then told me I "had permission" to do the same thing.

    That's like hitting a child to keep them from hitting.

    It's just not making sense to me.

    I reported BOTH the mother AND the other provider. (I was not kept informed about the results of the report, and was never asked to testify, so I don't know what happened... beyond not being able to watch the boy anymore.)
    Aw, good for you, Glitch. I'm glad there are people around like you that really care and do something about it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,646
    I remember that for awhile one of my sons, age 2-3, was a biter. When I mentioned it to the pediatrician, he told me to bite him back. (And no, I didn't).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,682
    So to prevent a child from further biting, you show him that adults bite also. Please. That makes no sense, you are just showing the child that you condone this action by doing the same thing to him/her.

    Our son, many years ago bit me. Well I gave him a time out and consequenced his actions. He learned that when he "acted" out there are consequences. But I did not nor would not "show" him that I agree or condone his actions by biting him back. Like, who is the adult and who is the child..........

    Also on a "very bad" day, when the routine was changed, he picked up a can opener off the table, a hand held, rather heavy can opener and "knocked" me on the head, I felt woozy and dizzy. But I phoned a friend and she can quickly over and took him to her place, just in case I need to to go to hospital, which I did not. No, I did not "knock" him over the head with the can opener when he returned. He is the child.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11,071
    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Sadly enough, that is one of the most common bits of advice a parent will get to remedy a child biting.

    It makes me nuts, but it's true. The woman's age, if anything, is on her side for making me believe SHE thinks it is an appropriate thing to do.

    Do a test. Post on some random parenting board that you have a child who has recently started biting, and you are at your wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    I'll bet you a dozen donuts that at least one person says that they bit their child back to get them to stop. That it sounds terrible but it worked for them.

    You are right. When my kids were growing up I knew parents that bit their kids back when they would bite them or another child. They didn't bite them that hard but just enough to let them know how it felt to be bit. That seemed to be the only thing that worked. Swatting their rears didn't affect them in the least and popping their mouths didn't work either. Showing them how it felt to get bitten did work though and it didn't hurt the child but it did break them of biting every child in their sight. What is recommended these days to break a child of biting? I know one mother who has a year old little guy who has taken to biting his mom and other little kids. When he bites the mom she just puts him down as she is usually holding him. She then refuses to pick him up hoping that he will understand that she isn't going to hold him if he is going to bite her. I really don't see anything wrong with biting them just hard enough for them to understand that they don't like to be bit. I don't see it as child abuse it is teaching them not to bite if they don't want to be
    bit and letting them know just how it feels. I'm of the other generation though. I also believe in swatting their rears when they are throwing a fit or in danger of getting hurt. That is a part of my generation too but it didn't hurt my 4 kids. None of them are in therapy because of it anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. New daycare worker who 'hates' being around kids fired before she starts
    By zwiebel in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 04:02 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM