New Website or Hoax??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
:eek: Has everyone seen this? Do you think it is real or is it some sort of a bad joke?

http://www.freekatemccann.com/

The "tone" of the site seems to be flippant to me, so my thought is it is a hoax.

Salem

:eek: Has everyone seen this? Do you think it is real or is it some sort of a bad joke?

http://www.freekatemccann.com/

The "tone" of the site seems to be flippant to me, so my thought is it is a hoax.

Salem

Sure seems like a hoax, doesn't it? I'd also make sure my anti-spyware software is up to date before I clicked around too much. :D

I just went back and was reading through some of the articles posted, etc. and SHOCKED as I am, I now think the darn thing is for real. Again, I'm blown away........

I think it just went up in the last day or so. Some articles have comments posted, I didn't look at them all. There is a LOT of advertising on the site.

I'm confused, I admit it!

Salem

I just went back and was reading through some of the articles posted, etc. and SHOCKED as I am, I now think the darn thing is for real. Again, I'm blown away........

I think it just went up in the last day or so. Some articles have comments posted, I didn't look at them all. There is a LOT of advertising on the site.

I'm confused, I admit it!

Salem

Maybe I'll go poke around a bit later on. It seems to me that a supporter wouldn't jump the gun on Kate being arrested, so that's a red flag right off the bat, IMO.

Thanks for finding and posting, though! :)

I think my eyesight must be going-I read that as "freek ate mccann" lol.

I think my eyesight must be going-I read that as "freek ate mccann" lol.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's how I read it originally. It wasn't until I got to the website that I saw what they were really saying.

Salem

Alright, I looked around a bit. My guess is that it's a real supporter, but an unofficial site.

I think it's for real. Nothing surprises me anymore, especially about this case.

A supporter who seems not to have much confidence (the domain itself is the clue).

Hm ... The site has some pretty racey advertising: First page of Blogs has an ad that says "Do Not Click unless you are 18". I clicked of course, and it took me to a 'love/compatibility calculator.'

I think in addition to "Hoax" and "McCann support" we should add a third possibility:

"Cashing in on Madeleine"

That "don't click unless you're 18" ad crops up everywhere, I even saw it over at MyFolia the other day.. which is a gardening community site.'

I gotta admit, I thought it said "freak ate mccann" too. Time to wash my glasses I guess :)

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: FREEKATEMCCANN.COM
Created on: 08-Sep-07
Expires on: 08-Sep-08
Last Updated on: 08-Sep-07

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration FREEKATEMCCANN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration FREEKATEMCCANN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.AOOZZ.COM
NS2.AOOZZ.COM

I'm typing oh so gently as I have a horrible headache and even jarring my head this much hurts.

I did however, want to share a couple of my observations about this new Free Kate McCann web site.

Someone actually went out and got the domain name Free Kate McCann. Why? Do they know she's going to be detained at some point in the near future? Is it a family member who might have more information than is available to us? Is It someone in the McCann camp who was told by a PR person to start one? If they should start asking for donations then I would certainly check it out with someone.

16 ads on the home page. I don't use Wordpress* and I would like to know if it works like Photobucket for example . If you want to get rid of the ads you just pay to upgrade your account. I went one level up in Photobucket and now I don't get the annoying ads anymore. Does anyone use Wordpress who could say?

It will be interesting to see if actual add space is sold on this site in the future. That would make me think that this site is being produced by someone NOT in the McCann camp. Maybe a friend of a friend.

Or maybe it's some "crime groupie" who thinks they might get something out of this for themselves. Have they put a up a link to Gerry's blog? Do you think they will? Has anyone asked the question at Gerry's blog "What is this Free Kate McCann blog about, and is it coming from your camp or a total stranger?" I think it would be perfectly fine to send a note to the webmaster at Gerry's blog and ask if this is a legitimate Pro McCann site, especially if they start asking for funding of any kind. And if he knows who is running it.

*Is this a free blogging website like Eblogger, I know there are a bumch of them out there I can't remember any of the names right now, I'm sorry.

please forgive the rant... It has taken me almost two hours to write this and I hope it makes sense. I'm going to have to take something for my head and put some soft music on. Then I hope to come back and see what you guys know about any of this. Thanks for reading this long complicated observation. I am probably way off. Thats ok. Let me know.

Love laughter & sunshine.

It looks like a real Website to me - don't know if I've ever seen a fake Website....... :confused:

I would think "fake" would be one that says it's in Maddie's benefit to help her family... and then turns out not actually be associated with them at all. Like a scam artist. That's just my opinion.

:) ... and I'm not saying this one is. I'm just throwing out some ideas to think about.

O/T one second.

Poco that animation of your cat is absolutely hilarious. I've enjoyed for ages! Did you do it yourself?

I don't know. It looks either way to me- supporter of Kate or a cleverly done-up hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd