FDA Experts Urge Ban on Cold Medicines for Young Children

Dark Knight

Reaction score
SATURDAY, Sept. 29 (HealthDay News) -- U.S. health experts on Friday urged the federal Food and Drug Administration to consider banning the sale of over-the-counter cough and cold medicines for young children.

The recommendation, from FDA safety officials, would apply to decongestant use in children under 2, and antihistamines in those younger than 6, according to agency documents released Friday, the Associated Press reported.

The products include approximately 800 popular medicines that are sold in the United States under names like Toddler's Dimetapp, Triaminic Infant and Little Colds, The New York Times reported.

A group of outside experts advising the FDA will consider the recommendation during a meeting on Oct. 18 and 19, and will then offer an opinion to the full agency.

In the safety review released Friday, the FDA experts recommended that all infant cough and cold products be removed from the market. They also recommended that the sizes of the droppers, cups and syringes packaged with products be standardized to reduce the possibility of confusion and overdose, the Times said.

An FDA review of records filed with the agency between 1969 and September 2006 found 54 reports of deaths in children associated with decongestant medicines made with pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine or ephedrine. It also found 69 reports of deaths associated with antihistamine medicines containing diphenhydramine, brompheniramine or chlorpheniramine, the AP said.

Most of the deaths were children younger than 2.

More at link: http://health.yahoo.com/news/179885

My daughter when she was very small...under 5, I of course gave her cold medicine for her stuffy nose and cold, she turned into a little monster...she becoma a totally different person on cold medicines...I asked her dr. about it and he said alot of kids have the same reaction there was some ingredient and I dont remember what now but it effects thier behavior....after that I really had to watch what I gave her after that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back