1328 users online (237 members and 1091 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Child Put In Noose For A "Racism Lesson"

This was above and beyond innapropriate, imo.

GRAMBLING, La. — Officials at Grambling State University were meeting Monday after the school newspaper ran photographs of adults at a campus-run elementary school putting a noose around at least one child's neck.
    Kindergarten and first-grade students at Alma J. Brown Elementary School were being taught why nooses are a symbol of racism, an article from the historically black university's student newspaper said.
    The article said the children also were being taught about the "Jena Six" — black high-school students who are accused of beating a white schoolmate. Court proceedings brought about 20,000 to 25,000 people to Jena, about 70 miles from Grambling, for a civil rights march in September.
    more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298778,00.html

Interesting they seem more upset that the pictures weren't taken down than that a little girl had a noose around her neck!
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Oh brother. Next we can have a live demonstration of how witches were burned at the stake in Salem. Or what the guillotine was used for. "Here, honey, just lay your head right here. Don't worry! It's sharp but we won't let it fall. Smile for the camera!"

I think there are better ways to teach this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Oh brother. Next we can have a live demonstration of how witches were burned at the stake in Salem. Or what the guillotine was used for. "Here, honey, just lay your head right here. Don't worry! It's sharp but we won't let it fall. Smile for the camera!"

I think there are better ways to teach this.

Might as well throw a little chinese water torture in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    Might as well throw a little chinese water torture in there too.
    LOL, future CIA agents!

Can we say, "Age Appropriate Curriculum", please?

I can imagine young children having nightmares over learning about such things. Can't they be children for awhile?

When I was in second grade I had Dr. seuss, was in the Brownies, and was read "Black Beauty", but that's about a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    Can we say, "Age Appropriate Curriculum", please?

I can imagine young children having nightmares over learning about such things. Can't they be children for awhile?

When I was in second grade I had Dr. seuss, was in the Brownies, and was read "Black Beauty", but that's about a horse.
    That's right, Martha. My son just completed an assignment about the Jena 6, and it was much more involved than play-acting with a noose. He's in the 5th grade.

Hey, I just thought of a book I could write if they still want to teach this in K-1st grade:

"In the Noose" by Dr. Seuss.

(ducking)

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    That's right, Martha. My son just completed an assignment about the Jena 6, and it was much more involved than play-acting with a noose. He's in the 5th grade.

Hey, I just thought of a book I could write if they still want to teach this in K-1st grade:

"In the Noose" by Dr. Seuss.

(ducking)
    Even 5th grade seems too young to be doing a project on Jena 6. It used to be you didn't even read To Kill a Mockingbird until High School.

Sorry but it sounds like a group of fairly stoopid people are teaching in a way that is extremely inappropriate for that age.

My kids know all about stuff as middle-schoolers that I didn't learn until high school or college. Teachers seem to think it makes them smarter, but IMO they are crossing a line in many instances.

I would have been FURIOUS if that had of been my child...show the kids the noose all you want (although I think they are a bit young at this age) but you don't have to actually make a SHOW and tell of it.

Wow I really don't see why 'demonstrating' this was necessary? I mean some kids are not able to understand that.. My kids are mature for their ages my 2nd grader would do fine learning about this but I know alot of kids his age that are no where near ready for that type of thing. Their little brains can't comprehend it. I still have alot of unanswered questions about the Jena 6 though so I am definately NOT one to be preaching here lol...

I wonder how many kids had nightmares that night?

Goes to prove, you really can't fix stupid... These were teachers; college graduates... Their level of "stupid" is obviously still fully intact and UNFIXED!
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...

I can't believe in these day and age they're doing things like this. Racism ran deep between all nationalities in our past. If they want to teach about it, then use the crimes against the Jews in WW2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast