Child Put In Noose For A "Racism Lesson"

White Rain

Reaction score
This was above and beyond innapropriate, imo.

GRAMBLING, La. — Officials at Grambling State University were meeting Monday after the school newspaper ran photographs of adults at a campus-run elementary school putting a noose around at least one child's neck.
Kindergarten and first-grade students at Alma J. Brown Elementary School were being taught why nooses are a symbol of racism, an article from the historically black university's student newspaper said.
The article said the children also were being taught about the "Jena Six" — black high-school students who are accused of beating a white schoolmate. Court proceedings brought about 20,000 to 25,000 people to Jena, about 70 miles from Grambling, for a civil rights march in September.
more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298778,00.html

Oh brother. Next we can have a live demonstration of how witches were burned at the stake in Salem. Or what the guillotine was used for. "Here, honey, just lay your head right here. Don't worry! It's sharp but we won't let it fall. Smile for the camera!"

I think there are better ways to teach this.

Oh brother. Next we can have a live demonstration of how witches were burned at the stake in Salem. Or what the guillotine was used for. "Here, honey, just lay your head right here. Don't worry! It's sharp but we won't let it fall. Smile for the camera!"

I think there are better ways to teach this.

Might as well throw a little chinese water torture in there too.

Can we say, "Age Appropriate Curriculum", please?

I can imagine young children having nightmares over learning about such things. Can't they be children for awhile?

When I was in second grade I had Dr. seuss, was in the Brownies, and was read "Black Beauty", but that's about a horse.

Can we say, "Age Appropriate Curriculum", please?

I can imagine young children having nightmares over learning about such things. Can't they be children for awhile?

When I was in second grade I had Dr. seuss, was in the Brownies, and was read "Black Beauty", but that's about a horse.

That's right, Martha. My son just completed an assignment about the Jena 6, and it was much more involved than play-acting with a noose. He's in the 5th grade.

Hey, I just thought of a book I could write if they still want to teach this in K-1st grade:

"In the Noose" by Dr. Seuss.

:D
:slap: (ducking)

That's right, Martha. My son just completed an assignment about the Jena 6, and it was much more involved than play-acting with a noose. He's in the 5th grade.

Hey, I just thought of a book I could write if they still want to teach this in K-1st grade:

"In the Noose" by Dr. Seuss.

:D
:slap: (ducking)

Even 5th grade seems too young to be doing a project on Jena 6. It used to be you didn't even read To Kill a Mockingbird until High School.

Sorry but it sounds like a group of fairly stoopid people :banghead: are teaching in a way that is extremely inappropriate for that age.

My kids know all about stuff as middle-schoolers that I didn't learn until high school or college. Teachers seem to think it makes them smarter, but IMO they are crossing a line in many instances.

I would have been FURIOUS if that had of been my child...show the kids the noose all you want (although I think they are a bit young at this age) but you don't have to actually make a SHOW and tell of it.

Wow I really don't see why 'demonstrating' this was necessary? I mean some kids are not able to understand that.. My kids are mature for their ages my 2nd grader would do fine learning about this but I know alot of kids his age that are no where near ready for that type of thing. Their little brains can't comprehend it. I still have alot of unanswered questions about the Jena 6 though so I am definately NOT one to be preaching here lol...

Goes to prove, you really can't fix stupid... These were teachers; college graduates... Their level of "stupid" is obviously still fully intact and UNFIXED!

I can't believe in these day and age they're doing things like this. Racism ran deep between all nationalities in our past. If they want to teach about it, then use the crimes against the Jews in WW2.

Kids are capable of a VAST amount of knowledge that no one really addressed years ago. They are sponges and I was having kids do physics lessons on the playground at four years old - it's really amazing what they can grasp, concept wise. HOWEVER - I do not believe the EMOTIONAL capacity of children is ready for much of the stuff that is thrown at them today.

People think that just because kids are really smart, that they are little adults, and that's just not the case. (Even as an adult, it would not be good to put my neck in a noose that was strung from a tree. That's just a level of trust in the teacher I simply don't have.)

I can't believe in these day and age they're doing things like this. Racism ran deep between all nationalities in our past. If they want to teach about it, then use the crimes against the Jews in WW2.
How? Walk all the students to the cafeteria and make the kids climb into a gas oven?

Even 5th grade seems too young to be doing a project on Jena 6. It used to be you didn't even read To Kill a Mockingbird until High School.

When I was in 5th grade, Martha, Florida finally integrated its schools. It wasn't too early to learn about racism and its history and, obviously, there wasn't any choice. I don't consider myself scarred by that; rather, it was one of the great learning experiences of my life.

Nowadays, kids have 200 TV channels and internet access. I don't think educators can wait to teach these things.

(This is not to say they have to put children in nooses to do it.)

Of course kids should learn about the Holocaust. But why start with something geographically remote when educators can teach about racism that is very near and still ongoing?

Goes to prove, you really can't fix stupid... These were teachers; college graduates... Their level of "stupid" is obviously still fully intact and UNFIXED!
My husband always says there is a difference between "smart" and "educated". They don't teach common sense at any University...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back