Her pit bull pets kill Middleburg woman

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
MIDDLEBURG - Authorities and family members are looking for answers about why a pair of pit bull terriers with no history of violence suddenly turned on their owner Tuesday, killing her and keeping others from being able to help her.
It was about 8 a.m. Tuesday when Tina Marie Canterbury, 42, was found lying in the back yard of her rural Middleburg neighborhood with the 2-year-old pit bull terriers Rebel and Thor standing over her.
The dogs could be heard barking viciously at the woman's son as he talked with emergency dispatchers and tried to check her pulse.
Canterbury had been bitten in the face and upper body and was dead by the time deputies arrived.
Her son, Christopher "Cody" Canterbury, 21, was bitten in the neck as he tried to reach her but did not suffer serious injuries.
She was killed by her two dogs.
In the 911 call, he can be heard trying frantically to reach his mother while yelling at the dogs to get back.
"She's got a cut on her eye and her shirt's all bloody," he tells the dispatcher before trying to see if his mother has a pulse or is breathing.
As he moves closer, he begins screaming at the dogs to move and get away before saying he feels a pulse but can't detect breathing. As he yells louder and louder at the dogs to move, the phone goes dead.
In a second call, a man who identifies himself as Joe said his brother had been attacked by the dogs as he tried to check their mother's pulse.
"They are in the back yard," he said. "They are over my mom and they won't let us get near."
When deputies pull up, he yells: "Hey, if they come at you, shoot 'em."
According to a Sheriff's Office report, one of those at the house, Joseph Harrell, 21, had already shot at the dogs to scare them off.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100307/met_204816739.shtml

Here we go again - pits attack with no previous signs of violence, ending in a death.

Eve

OMG this poor family. The son had to witness his mom being attached, how sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1trl1FMUw
This is a utube video I just watched regarding pit bulls - it's a bunch of photos of sweet pits and children together, sappy music and some facts (often with references) such as on average 9 kids a year are killed by dogs, but 1100 kids a year are killed by a parent.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

This is horrible. Article after article of deaths from these dogs. Just how many deaths does it take?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1trl1FMUw
This is a utube video I just watched regarding pit bulls - it's a bunch of photos of sweet pits and children together, sappy music and some facts (often with references) such as on average 9 kids a year are killed by dogs, but 1100 kids a year are killed by a parent.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
I noticed in the original linked article that in FL less than one person has been killed a year by a dog for the last 42 years.(33 total in 42 years)

from the original article:

>>
Florida FATAL ATTACKS
The -umber of fatal dog attacks i- the past 42 years. The victims were 12 adults a-d 21 childre-. Of child victims, more tha- 80 perce-t were attacked whe- left u-supervised with u-familiar dogs or they wa-dered off to the locatio- of a- u-familiar dog<<

I noticed in the original linked article that in FL less than one person has been killed a year by a dog for the last 42 years.(33 total in 42 years)

from the original article:

>>
Florida FATAL ATTACKS
The -umber of fatal dog attacks i- the past 42 years. The victims were 12 adults a-d 21 childre-. Of child victims, more tha- 80 perce-t were attacked whe- left u-supervised with u-familiar dogs or they wa-dered off to the locatio- of a- u-familiar dog<<
only 33 killed but look at the number of attacks.

DOG BITES
The number of Americans each year that seek medical attention for dog bites. Half of them are children.
Florida FATAL ATTACKS
The -umber of fatal dog attacks i- the past 42 years. The victims were 12 adults a-d 21 childre-. Of child victims, more tha- 80 perce-t were attacked whe- left u-supervised with u-familiar dogs or they wa-dered off to the locatio- of a- u-familiar dog.

IN THE Regio-
Clay County: Averages about 30 reports of dog bites each month. Two fatalities in 18 years.
Duval County: 1,327 cases of dog bites reported to the Health Department in 2006, 890 this year.
Nassau County: Numbers unavailable, but official couldn't recall any recent fatalities.
St. Johns County: Averages about 30 reports of dog bites each month, 149 this year. None has been fatal in 13 years.
and some reporter needs a new keyboard with a letter "n" that works imo.

only 33 killed but look at the number of attacks.

and some reporter needs a new keyboard with a letter "n" that works imo.
But the bites encompass virtually every breed. I believe that pb's account for a high percentage of these few fatalities, but not necessarily a high percentage of bites.

2007 Fatalities
1. Texas
(January): 10 y.o. girl
2. Missouri (January): 69 y.o. women
3. Virginia (January): 6 y.o. boy
4. Tennessee (January): 18 m.o girl
5. Georgia (February): 2 y.o. girl
6. Texas (March): 50 y.o. women
7. Texas (March): 2 y.o. girl
8. South Carolina (April): toddler
9. Texas (May): 90 y.o. man
2006 Fatalities
26 dog bite human fatalities occurred in the United States in 2006
Texas (January)
;
Massachusetts (February); Montana (February);
North Carolina (March);Missouri (March);
California (April);
Maryland (May); Tennessee (May);
Mississippi (June);Texas (June); Kansas (July);
Pennsylvania (July); Texas (July); West Virginia (July); Flordia (July);
Flordia (August); Flordia (August);
North Carolina (October); New York (October); Texas (October);
Alabama (November); South Carolina (November); Arizona (November); Georgia (November);
Ohio (November); Texas (November)
29 reported dog bite related human fatalities in the United States in 2005
California
(January);
Alabama (February) ; Illinois (February);
Virginia (March); Texas (March);
Michigan (April); Virginia (April); Georgia (April); Ohio (April); S
outh Carolina
(May); Colorado (May); Missouri (May); Michigan (May); Indiana (May); West Virginia (May);
California (June);
Georgia (July); Indiana (July);Rhode Island (July);
California (August);
Virginia (October); Georgia (October); California (October);
Kentucky (November); Kentucky (November); Texas (November);
Michigan (December); Texas (December); Oklahoma (December)
2004 Fatalities
22 reported dog bite related human fatalities in the United States in 2004

With the exception of two elderly ladies, all victims were under 10 years of age. About half of the victims were toddlers or newborns. The majority of the dogs involved were reported to be Rottweilers, Pit bulls and Chows. A significant portion of the 21 fatalities happened in the Spring or Summer months, and in the South. No fatality happened in the densely populated Northeast US or mid-Atlantic States.

North Carolina
(January);
Hawaii (February) ; Louisiana (February);
Tennessee (March); Texas (March);
Michigan (April); North Carolina (April); Washington (April);
Texas (May); California (May);
Texas (July); Georgia (July); Texas (July); Kansas (July);
Indiana (August);
South Carolina (September);
Florida (October); Florida (October)
Florida (December); Mississippi (December); Arizona (December); Alabama (December)

<Authorities and family members are looking for answers about why a pair of pit bull terriers with no history of violence suddenly turned on their owner Tuesday, killing her and keeping others from being able to help her>

uuuuuhhhhhhh..... because,, THEY ARE PIT BULLS!!!..?? They just answered their own question.......LOL

Like it or not, the TRUTH of the matter is this:

1) Pit bulls have had violent tendencies BRED INTO THEM for generations. They have the physical characteristics they do because they were bred mostly for fighting,, to look as scary as possible and do as much damage as possible. Not ALL will be violent, obviously.. but they are prone to "suddenly snapping' without warning. Countless news stories and person and eyewitness accounts attest to this (that is, if the person is still alive to tell the tale!).

2) Yeah, duh,, we know that a lot of other dogs might have the potential to do this too. HOWEVER.. most dogs are NOT going to cause as much DAMAGE as pit bulls,, BECAUSE PIT BULLS ARE BRED TO PHYSICALLY BE ABLE TO CAUSE LOT MORE DAMAGE than most other dogs.

Just the other day a classmate told me about taking her little dog to the dogpark and a pit suddenly came up and attacked her dog, had its whole huge jaw around her dog's head, AND WOULD NOT LET GO. Even the monster's owner was screaming his dog and kicking it to let go. Finally someone came up behind the pit, grabbed its back legs, picked it up and slammed it into the ground. The girl thought her dog was dead, fortunately he survived & was fine. However during the original scuffle her boyfriend got bit, went to the emergency room, and it required stitches and rabies shots to the tune of about $1000. Needless to say they don't go back to that dog park anymore. Yeah,, such great dogs, they are!

This almost reminds me of the man in California, the one who was reported as being killed by dogs. Then it was discovered that he had died a natural death and the dogs were trying in their own way to protect him. These dogs were definitely in protective mode when they tried to keep others from approaching the woman.

A HEAVILY pregnant woman has fought off a savage pet dog to save the life of her mauled five-year-old daughter.
The mother was supervising her child's feeding of two Rottweilers in the back yard of their home near Melton when one of the pets attacked without warning.
The girl was knocked to the ground and suffered several severe bites to her legs, arms, forehead and top of head.
The mother - who is eight month's pregnant - continually beat the dog with a stick and managed to scoop her hysterical daughter up before the animal also turned on her, inflicting a deep bite on her arm.
It took a few minutes to prise the dog's jaws from her girl.
snip

The mother, who is in her 30s, told authorities the animal had not shown signs of aggression before.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22518789-661,00.html?from=mostpop

ARAPAHOE COUNTY – Deputies are looking for the owner of two dogs that got into an animal pen and killed two baby alpacas.

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office says they were called on Tuesday to the 3100 block of South Lenaview Circle around 5:45 p.m.

When a deputy arrived, resident Christine Hylemon told him that she had gotten home an hour earlier and heard two dogs barking near her animal pen.

She saw two dogs, a black Labrador and a white Australian Shepherd, running out of the pen, leaving several alpaca llamas behind.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=78451

But the bites encompass virtually every breed. I believe that pb's account for a high percentage of these few fatalities, but not necessarily a high percentage of bites.
Quoting myself, but this is what I was referring to.This is interesting:
>>However, the focus on death cases may leave the public with the false impression that pit bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for the dog bite epidemic. It is a much broader problem than that, involving all dogs and all dog owners. While pit bulls and Rottweilers inflict a disproportionate number of serious and even fatal injuries, the dog bite epidemic involves many different breeds, and results from many different causes. A clear distinction needs to be made between canine homicides (i.e., incidents in which dogs kill people) and the dog bite epidemic.
The confusion caused by discussing the homicides and the dog bites in the same breath has its most important ramification in the area of prevention. Some are advocating the banning of pit bulls, Rottweilers and possibly other breeds, for reasons that range from their alleged dangerousness to the fact that they are very often treated inhumanely. Those who hear about the homicides often support breed bans. (See Breed Specific Laws, Regulations and Bans.)
However, while banning the pit bull might lower the number of human deaths, such a ban would probably not reduce the number dog bites in any significant manner. After the United Kingdom banned pit bulls in the 1990s, a study showed that the number of dog bites remained the same even though the number of pit bulls had steeply declined. (Study cited in B. Heady and P. Krause, "Health Benefits and Potential Public Savings Due to Pets: Australian and German Survey Results," Australian Social Monitor, Vol.2, No.2, May 1999.)<<

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html#homicide

The closest I ever came to a pit bull was when one of the boyfriends of my oldest daughter asked me to watch his 3 month old puppy for a few weeks. It was very cute but a little monster and chewed on everything. The bf later had to get rid of it because it was so aggressive.

The closest I ever came to a pit bull was when one of the boyfriends of my oldest daughter asked me to watch his 3 month old puppy for a few weeks. It was very cute but a little monster and chewed on everything. The bf later had to get rid of it because it was so aggressive.
Always a good idea to get rid of an agressive dog. I was just reading a story about a couple that had an akita mix and it had nipped their children in the face twice. They wrote to this website asking what they could do so they wouldn't have to get rid of the dog :eek: because the dog was a big part of their family. Now how stupid is that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back