Foster family fears Ore. boy will be sent to Mexico by state

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
TOLEDO, Ore. -- A two-year-old Oregon boy is at the center of a controversial custody ruling that would send him to Mexico to live with his biological grandmother and possibly with his convicted child-rapist father.

Last week, an adoption committee consisting of Oregon Department of Human Services employees and members not affiliated with DHS ruled that Gabriel Allred should live with his grandmother in Mexico, despite the fact that he is an American citizen, DHS said.

The child’s foster parents apparently learned that his biological father, Roberto Valiente-Martinez, will live in the home with his mother and young son. Roberto Valiente-Martinez will be deported to Mexico, authorities said. In 2000, he pleaded guilty to raping a 12-year-old girl and was sentenced to five years in prison, records show.

He has also been convicted on drug charges.

Both the child’s biological mother and father lost their parental rights, according to DHS.

Foster parents Steve and Angela Brandt of Toledo, Ore., said they want to adopt Allred. They have appealed the preliminary ruling.

“The goal of DHS is to get children out of the foster system as quickly as possible and if they cannot be returned to their parents… then by law we must look at other relatives,” said Ann Snyder with the DHS Office of Communications.
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_100207_news_foster_child_allred_mexico_.12fe494f2.html

This foster mom and I went to school together and were great friends. When I saw her picture I couldn't believe it was Angie! The whole story is so messed up. I just don't get it. The boy doesn't even speak Spanish and they're sending him to a grandmother who only speaks Spanish. This whole situation makes me so sad!

Yeah, Children's Services rarely do things that make sense or are really in the best interests of the kids they're supposed to protect. It's red tape and bureacratic b.s. that make the rules.

This is crazy, doesn't the child have any relatives here. He is an Americann citizen, half Caucasian, why would they send him to a country and people he doesn't know. If it was the mother or father I might agree if they weren't both criminals such in the case with the girl from Cuba but Mexico is no place to grow up especially when he is a citizen and can have a great life here. I won't even let my children who are 8 and 2 go visit thier grandparents in Mexico without me because I don't feel they would understand or cope well with staying there even for a week. I am sure the grandmother is dirt poor and believe me there is no child servies over there. Some of the things my husband tells me his mom did to them for punishment would be considered abuse over here and there would be no supervision for this little boy down there.

I live in southern California, and every year thousands of Hispanic women come across the border to have their babies in the US. Rightly or wrongly, I thought if you were born in this country you were a citizen. They are sentencing this child to a life of poverty and abuse.

I live in southern California, and every year thousands of Hispanic women come across the border to have their babies in the US. Rightly or wrongly, I thought if you were born in this country you were a citizen. They are sentencing this child to a life of poverty and abuse.
this child was not only born here but his mother is a white crack head that was born here.

I don't even see how this is legal.

The child is an American citizen entitled to all of the rights and protections available in America.

Someone Forward this the The ACLU..

Oh so now DHS cares about ''rights'' of the children? Pshhhh...this poor kid, do they care that he now has to go live with a child pedophile in a poor country where he is more then likely going to be denied even your basic necessities..ughhh this irritates the crud out of me! SURELYYYY they won't make him go there? RIGHT??! ETA..plus he been with this family since he was just a few months old. They are his family now!!

Here is a little tid-bit I found about the 'father'..

Police in Astoria, Ore., stopped to talk to a driver of a car parked in a crosswalk. He had no license, so the chat was prolonged — enough that a passenger, Roberto Valiente-Martinez, 28, “got fidgety,” police said. Very fidgety: after a bit, the man pleaded with Officer William Barnes to help him remove a package of cocaine that he had hidden in his pants, which was apparently leaking and burning his crotch. Valiente-Martinez was arrested and charged with drug dealing and possession. (AP) ...The good news: numbness set in. The bad news: it may be permanent.

That is absolutely super news. I hope this has a more compassionate resolution this time.

Well there is a bit of good news in this case. DHS is going to rehear this case. Here is an update along with a video. My friend Angie looks great! I'll have to get in touch with her!

http://www.katu.com/news/10279647.html

I'll be praying for your friend and the child. I have been thru custody wars myself and the pain, heartache and the waiting are just absolutely horrible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back