3200 goldminers trapped 2km underground in Africa

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22528982-2,00.html?from=mostpop

Some 3200 miners were trapped underground today at a South African mine belonging to the world's fifth biggest gold producer, the Harmony Gold company said.

Harmony spokeswoman Amelia Soares said the workers at the Elandsrand mine were trapped about 2200 metres underground after an electrical cable of a lift carrying workers to the surface snapped.

Prayers for their families and the miners in the hopes they get out safely.

Wow Autumn! I saw that 3200 in the title and thought you made a typo! Prayers for them and their families. :angel:

Well, I guess this is better than having a mine cave in on you. Surely they can breathe, etc. Hopefully they will be able to use the other lift to get them out.

It's an unbelieveable amount isn't it? It sounds from the way the article is written that they stand a good chance of getting out.

Here's another article with a little more information-
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/10/03/carletonville.mine/index.html?iref=topnews

We are not really so sure about what actually happened so, we are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping they'll be OK," he said. The workers have adequate ventilation and access to water, Harmony Gold told the press association.

But Seshoka said the workers could be endangered by gases seeping out of the ground, a lack of oxygen or flooding. He disputed the company's account of the situation, which he called "desperate."
"It's sad that ordinary people, who take home peanuts, their lives are actually in danger," he said.

There was no emergency exit in the shaft, which had "not been maintained for ages," Seshoka said, according to the press association.

Seshoka said he could not speak to conditions at the Elandsrand mine, but said South African mines have generally poor safety records.
A total of 199 miners were killed in 2005, and another 202 died on the job in 2006, he sai

I hope these men make it out safe and sound soon. Prayers to them and their loved ones.

It sounds as though their mining conditions aren't really any better than those here in the USA. Do workers in other types of mines besides coal, get the same types of illnesses as coal miners? Due to the dust, I would expect that they do get respiratory diseases more than the general population.

My thougtss & prayers go out to the miners, family, & friends.
I pray they are rescued soon & all of them are safe!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21121600/

CARLETONVILLE, South Africa - Some 3,000 gold miners were trapped a mile underground Wednesday when falling pipe damaged the elevator, but the company began rescuing workers through a smaller shaft and estimated it would take several hours to get them all out.

Rescue has begun, thank God. It sounds as if this will have a happy ending.

One large group emerged from the shaft singing traditional songs and stamping their feet with joy despite their exhaustion. They were greeted by a crowd of ululating women miners.

The hundreds of workers who remained underground were all near a ventilation shaft and had been given water — although no food for fear of provoking a scramble among hungry miners, according to Peter Bailey, health and safety chairman for the National Mineworkers Union.

As rescuers slowly brought the miners to the surface Thursday, family members stood outside the mine offices, complaining that they had not been given enough information about their loved ones.

"I am very traumatized, exhausted, not knowing what is going on," said Sam Ramohanoe, whose wife, Flora, 31, was among the trapped. "It is very unfair to us, not knowing what is going one with our beloved ones.

*2000 rescued so far!

So happy for the miners and their families! :dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj