Fraternities move away from party image

reb

Reaction score
WOW!!! Who would have guessed?? This is actually encouraging news. About time some fraternities got back to basics and tried to think about something else besides how drunk and stupid they're gonna get every night. There's way too many problems with alcoholism and binge drinking on campuses.. I have been saying for a LONG time that colleges need to take this more seriously and DO SOMETHING about it!
Although, this article is focusing more on the hazing problem than the alcohol problem... but,, it's a start!

FRATERNITIES MOVE AWAY FROM PARTY IMAGE

By ALAN SCHER ZAGIER, Associated Press Writer
Thu Oct 4, 6:16 AM ET
COLUMBIA, Mo. - The basement of the Sigma Phi Epsilon house at the University of Missouri-Columbia is filled with familiar fraternity icons like a well-worn pool table, stacks of violent films like "Kill Bill" on DVD, and of course, the stench of stale beer.

A closer look reveals a much different scene. With the soothing sounds of a "Zen Cafe" CD playing in the background, Sig Ep brothers listen raptly as a campus yoga instructor leads them through a series of contortionist poses during an 8 a.m. workout.

Early morning yoga is just one of the changes at the fraternity since the Missouri chapter adopted its "Balanced Man" program in 2006 — just a few years after the university punished the chapter for hazing.

Now, there are trips to the opera, wine tastings and documentary film screenings. And by eliminating the pledging system — a tradition of initiation critics say encourages hazing — new members are treated as equals from the start.

more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071004...raternities;_ylt=AuYyRC8ZpUe3XuLUCgtSsP1H2ocA

This is very encouraging. I think all fraternities should follow their lead. Can you imagine the kind of young men who would graduate from college and their fraternity with this kind of support? They'd be so much better equipped for the world ahead.

Well,, the thing is.. this is more like how fraternities USED to be,, from what I have heard. I don't know why colleges let it get so far away from that.

This article is generalizing about all fraternities it seems. My college roommate was in a fraternity that did all of the boozing and partying yet still held high standards for their members in terms of community service and grand point average.

The picture they paint of alcoholic cheaters was done with a broad brush.

Most of the people in my friend's pledge class have gone on to work as lawyers and people who have started their own successful businesses, and it didn't take 8 a.m. yoga classes or trips to the opera.

I believe people can successfully "work hard, play hard."

I also think the writer of this article missed the entire point of the pledge process. It doesn't have anything to do with servitude. The point is to break you down and build you back up, much like a military boot camp, and to gain trust and build friendships from within your pledge class. It's no surprise that a few chuckleheads have done some stupid things while in a fraternity, but you don't need to be in a fratnernity to be an idiot. You'll find them everywhere.

This article is generalizing about all fraternities it seems. My college roommate was in a fraternity that did all of the boozing and partying yet still held high standards for their members in terms of community service and grand point average.

The picture they paint of alcoholic cheaters was done with a broad brush.

Most of the people in my friend's pledge class have gone on to work as lawyers and people who have started their own successful businesses, and it didn't take 8 a.m. yoga classes or trips to the opera.

I believe people can successfully "work hard, play hard."

I also think the writer of this article missed the entire point of the pledge process. It doesn't have anything to do with servitude. The point is to break you down and build you back up, much like a military boot camp, and to gain trust and build friendships from within your pledge class. It's no surprise that a few chuckleheads have done some stupid things while in a fraternity, but you don't need to be in a fratnernity to be an idiot. You'll find them everywhere.

(Emphasis added.)

A few? You must be referring to one semester in one fraternity.

I've attended a number of colleges and every single one of them (including the Ivy League) had a frat scandal while I was there.

Of course, other groups have problems and chuckleheads as well. Personally, I think all homogeneous groups are problematic. And forcibly sticking vegetables up some kid's butt is not the only way to gain "trust" and build "friendships." Nor, in my opinion, is it the best way.

back in the 1940's!!!

Maybe. Despite what everyone thinks, I wasn't actually alive then.

I know Paladin is right that not every frat member is a problem. My partner was president of his frat and I believe him that there was no hazing or gross misbehavior. (Of course, he says his was the "geek center" of frats at his college.)

But there is a consistent pattern of misbehavior involving college fraternities. Some colleges have even banned them.

If the frat in question here is moving to change the way they function, that has to be a good thing.

I know Paladin is right that not every frat member is a problem. My partner was president of his frat and I believe him that there was no hazing or gross misbehavior. (Of course, he says his was the "geek center" of frats at his college.)

Heh, all I could think of was the movie "Revenge of the Nerds" when I read that. Now don't paint me as the guy who points and laughs at others. I went to the Art Institute of Atlanta. we got laughed at from more prestigous schools, people in the art world, dogs and cats...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back