General Discussion Thread No. 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colomom, the In Cold Blog article was really interesting--put a lot of thoughts I had about that quote, "the moment she was taken" into words. It bothered me like a badly fitting shoe, but I couldn't quite figure out why. Thanks for the link.

And the writer/profiler's words about people remaining the same in a crisis or difficult time is so true, from my own experience.

It was an interesting blog, and it made me do some further research into Pat Brown. I couldn't find any degree in profiling for her. Can anyone point me in that direction. From what I did find on the net is that she's more or less self-taught. Is this true?

Pat Brown holds a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice from Boston University.

<more at link>

Well, I answered my own question. There are some places where you can study profiling, one of them being online.

One further question: What actual cases has Pat Brown worked on that were successful, aside from renting a room in her home to a serial killer? Does anyone know?

A criminal justice degree from Boston University is very distinguished. From what I know about the academics involved in a criminal justice degree, profiling is studied intently throughout the years of higher education. It's not just some electives tacked on to the end of a degree program.

From Crime Library:

Pat Brown is a nationally known criminal profiler and CEO of The Sexual Homicide Exchange (www.SHEprofilers.com). She does cold case homicide work nationally and is an expert in crime scene analysis, crime scene reconstruction, and criminal behavior. Through the Sexual Homicide Exchange, she has developed the CAPTURE program, a serial homicide investigation methodology and training program for law enforcement. Pat Brown is the author of &#65533; Killing for Sport: Inside the Minds of Serial Killers &#65533; published in hardback in March of 2003 and soon to be out in paperback in July of 2004. She is a regularly seen crime commentator on many television news shows on MSNBC, CNN, FOX, and Court TV, and a repeat guest of "The Montel Williams Show" and "The John Walsh Show". She can also be seen weekly on Court TV's crime show, "I, Detective". She has been the host and profiler for a Discovery Channel documentary that aired in the United States in December of 2004.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/about/authors/brown/

spacer.gif

top_corner.gif

Thanks for the links, colomom. At one time I was very interested in profilers, but she is one I've never heard of, oddly enough. When I did my web search I came up with some negatives and I wanted to be sure she actually had credentials - some said she did not.

I almost started a thread on profiling this case, but I don't believe we can since we're not sure Maddie is dead, despite what we read in the papers, although it does seem more of a possibility as each day passes.

Even though it "seems" the parents are guilty, from what we read, most of it without much substance, and the small amount that does is easily explained away - imminent arrest by an obviously frustrated LE officer who ended up getting canned himself.

I'm still on the fence wishing they would find Madeleine one way or the other then everyone could stop picking apart every word the McCanns utter and every post that's sent. I believe everyone is becoming frustrated. I know I am.

Thanks for the link to Pat Brown's article on the McCanns. I think she is spot on about Gerry's odd remarks.

Pat isn't always right, nor does she claim to be. She was off on a couple of other big cases, the Wichita serial killer for one. But everyone was off on that one. Who would ever have suspected it would turn out to be Dennis Rader, president of his Lutheran Church Council; adviser to the Boy Scouts; and local codes enforcement officer? He fooled everyone.

Gerry McCann is more transparent. The article about his body language is also right on. Gerry exhibits every single personal tic of a pathological liar.

The more I see and hear of Gerry McCann, the more I suspect that it was he who was responsible for the death of Maddie. Kate seems so dominated by him...she appears bereft and forlorn. But shes' afraid to cross him.

McCanns' anger at Portuguese police's 'Madeleine is dead' dirty trick

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=485803&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

Portuguese police were at the centre of a new dirty tricks row today following reports claiming British detectives believed Madeleine McCann DID die in her holiday apartment.

No surprise here!!! Just "normal" tactics of the PLE investigation.

I saw Kate and Gerry McCanns’ despair and if they were acting they deserved an Oscar

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2599613.ece

Gerry and Kate McCann’s on-screen composure in the days after their daughter disappeared was at odds with their turmoil and dread behind the scenes, a witness says today.

Alex Woolfall, a public relations consultant for the holiday resort where the child disappeared, was with the McCanns regularly for that first fortnight and is convinced that they are innocent.

He is an expert in crisis PR at the communications group Bell Pottinger and flew to Portugal as part of the Mark Warner holiday company’s emergency response team on Saturday, May 5. Madeleine vanished on the evening of May 3.

When the McCanns were made suspects, Mr Woolfall was bemused. “I thought it was ridiculous. I couldn’t believe it. Completely ludicrous.”

Did you suspect them? “My God, no, absolutely not in any way at any stage. I walked into that apartment and just saw two people who were frantic that their daughter had gone missing. Nobody could possibly, if they had anything to do with that, behave in that way for so long.

“It made me laugh rather than be exasperated. From Day One they could not move anywhere without 100 flash bulbs going off. The whole idea that they could have done any of the things the police were suggesting was farcical.
“You could not pick another couple on the planet that would have had that many cameras trained on them.”

april4sky said:
Calikid I can't believe you said that.. :sick:

Okay, I was a little harsh and off the mark. I know everyone here cares about Madeleine, but this case was really getting to me yesterday, mostly because of other forums I read. I took the word farcical the wrong way. I'm sorry.

Okay, I was a little harsh and off the mark. I know everyone here cares about Madeleine, but this case was really getting to me yesterday, mostly because of other forums I read. I took the word farcical the wrong way. I'm sorry.
No worries Calikid.
It's forgotten :blowkiss:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2599613.ece
From the Times Online article:
The couple swung between uncontrollable distress and a determination to do what was needed to help to find Madeleine. They gave no indication that they thought she had been snatched, let alone by a paedophile. Their early assumption was that she had wandered off and had an accident or been taken in by a well-meaning stranger.

Everything we have read about this couple- in the British as well as Portuguese press- said their very first assumption was that Madeleine's disappearance was the result of an abduction. Both police forces- UK and Portuguese- said the McCanns pushed this theory ahead of all the others. And now we're supposed to believe that they really didn't think she was kidnapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie