British adventurer ends 13-year human-powered world trip

Dark Knight

Reaction score
British adventurer Jason Lewis on Saturday arrived in Greenwich, south-east London, ending a 13-year round-the-world trip using only the power of the human body.

The 40-year-old completed the final leg of his 46,000-mile (74,000-kilometre) odyssey by pedalling his 26-foot (7.9-metre) boat Moksha up the River Thames.

The last effort into London followed a 3,000-kilometre bike ride from Turkey through Bulgaria, Romania, Austria and Germany to Oostend in Belgium, where the boat was waiting for him.

During his circumnavigation, he capsized in the North Atlantic Ocean, broke both legs, was chased by a crocodile in Australia and arrested on suspicion of spying in Egypt and threatened with a 40-year prison sentence.

Bearded and looking tired, a clearly emotional Lewis crossed the Greenwich Meridian line at the Royal Observatory by carrying his boat with the help of supporters and cheering well-wishers.

Lewis set off from the same spot -- zero degrees longitude -- bound for Portugal in July 1994. The 16-leg journey also included hiking, kayaking and hiking.

"It feels fantastic. I came over the line and I was choked. I blubbed (cried) like a baby," he told reporters.

"Everything I've been doing for the last 13 years has been in some way connected to this trip and tomorrow that will be no more."

More at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071006/lf_afp/lifestylebritaintraveladventurepeople_071006174058

I was just watching him on telly...what an amazing journey he has had and he is proberly very lucky to still be alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back