Man wins contest with 1524-pound pumpkin

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WOW.....thats what I call a pumpkin...but are they the ones you cant eat?

WOW.....thats what I call a pumpkin...but are they the ones you cant eat?

Most of the giants are more gourd than pumpkin and aren't very tasty. When it comes to taste, smaller tends to be better.

It might be fun to carve, though, lol!

You would need a bulldozer to clean out the insides on that thing.

It sure would make a good Halloween pumpkin.

Half Moon Bay is close by; the only problem is that Highway 92, is only two lanes, most of the way, and is well known for getting backed up - weekends, forget it.

I bought some seeds from Lowes that were supposed to be Giant Pumpkins. I was so hopeful but my pumpkin is probably only 10 pounds at best. This was my first pumpkin I ever grew, but I was disappointed. The package said it got average size 500 lbs, with some as big as 1500 lbs. We didn't get hardly any rain this summer though, so maybe that's why, although CA doesn't get any either in summer.:doh:

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. - There are some giant pumpkins on display in Half Moon Bay, but one giant gourd reigns supreme. The winner of this year's half Moon Bay pumpkin festival weigh-off is Thad Starr from Pleasant Hill, Ore.

His pumpkin set a contest record and tipped the scale at 1,524 pounds.
Starr won six dollars for each pound, which equals $9,144.

Photo at link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071008/ap_on_fe_st/pumpkin_contest;_ylt=Aj.cKgCzpp07.vECbtect5gZ.3QA

WOW!! I've seen some biguns but wow that is huge!
And I was so proud of my 3 100 pounders and the little 10 pound squirt. lol

I do have a decent sized yellow punkin tho. It's pretty cool.
Well, hubby thinks its a punkin, I opened a small one dying on the vine and it does have seeds but also reminded me of a squash of some kind.
It started off as a shiney round yellow ball. Then it got ridgey after a while.
I reall have no idea wtheck it is so if anyone has an idea....type away please. lol:p :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back