1364 users online (258 members and 1106 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

52-cent doughnut may cost man 30 years to life

52-cent doughnut may cost man 30 years to life

Scott A. Masters, 41, is accused of shoplifting the pastry and pushing a store worker who tried to stop him. The worker was unhurt. But with that shove, his shoplifting turned into a strong-arm robbery. Masters, who appeared in court Friday, is stunned. The prosecutor shows no signs of backing down. In fact, because Masters has a prior record, he could get a sentence of 30 years to life.

More at link:
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...F?OpenDocument

Unbelievable...He could get 30 yrs. for a doughnut and a woman who shoots her husband in the back, walks!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkitty View Post
    Unbelievable...He could get 30 yrs. for a doughnut and a woman who shoots her husband in the back, walks!!
    How about the child molestors who get months and weeks? What about Parnell who kidnapped Steven Staynor, kept him for years and sexually abused him? He only got 6 years. There is no justice.

Boy oh boy this really stinks, how can the justice system get thing so wrong, it happens here in Australia too, it is so frustrating, I believe a lot of crimes are not reported because the victims end up coming worse off.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterMidnight View Post
    How about the child molestors who get months and weeks? What about Parnell who kidnapped Steven Staynor, kept him for years and sexually abused him? He only got 6 years. There is no justice.
    Justice is not justice anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
    Boy oh boy this really stinks, how can the justice system get thing so wrong, it happens here in Australia too, it is so frustrating, I believe a lot of crimes are not reported because the victims end up coming worse off.
    I think you are right...Guess the victims will have to start taking justice in their own hands! Let's go back to stoning them to death in the middle of the street!! Works for me!

I think you are right...Guess the victims will have to start taking justice in their own hands! Let's go back to stoning them to death in the middle of the street!! Works for me!
    Stocks in the public square.

Got to say, I can't get on the big sympathy train for this man. He did punch a 54-year-old woman and seems to spend most of his time in jail anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    Got to say, I can't get on the big sympathy train for this man. He did punch a 54-year-old woman and seems to spend most of his time in jail anyway.
    I have to agree with you... While 30 years max may be harsh, he does deserve to be punished for the assault... he's even denying he hit the woman...

As the article quotes:
    "People are missing the point," Horn said. "It is not about the doughnut."

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Yes, but you have to make the punishment fit the crime. If this man, even if he is a career criminal, earns 30 years for stealing a donut and pushing a woman, someone who abuses children should get much longer sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    Yes, but you have to make the punishment fit the crime. If this man, even if he is a career criminal, earns 30 years for stealing a donut and pushing a woman, someone who abuses children should get much longer sentences.
    I guess I wasn't clear... I meant that 30 years is too much for this crime... and it was more than pushing this lady... he punched her in the chest, knocing her backwards.

"That is when Masters allegedly delivered "a backhanded punch to the chest" and took off running, police said."
    (from link in first post)

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

If he'll do this kind of crime, what has he done that he hasn't been charged with yet?
    If he's willing to punch/hit over a donut what kind of violence surfaces when he becomes really angry at someone?
    This guy needs to be checked out.....

I'd prefer hanging myself....quick and neat.
    For serious crimes like child killing...I'm all for quartering them with horses.
    Gosh..I can't believe 30 years for a freaking donut, but I do see the point of it. Too bad the guy wasn't smarter. Heck for 30 years why didn't he just go rob a bank?

Who needs a donut that badly?

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I'd prefer hanging myself....quick and neat.
    For serious crimes like child killing...I'm all for quartering them with horses.
    Gosh..I can't believe 30 years for a freaking donut, but I do see the point of it. Too bad the guy wasn't smarter. Heck for 30 years why didn't he just go rob a bank?
    Heck, I don't think you get that much time for robbing a bank...LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast